Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #43
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp ZL1 View Post
When you guys sign his frakkin check then worry about how he spends it! Are you married to him? Sounding like a bunch of frustrated dream killing old bitter hags. What happened to supporting that person's decision? Drive the car it's a car, not a collectors item.
I don't personally care what he does but it makes no sense to drive in the winter unless you plan on getting rid of it after a couple years. The risk of a wreck is greatly increased in the snow. And the rust and paint damage. I mean my truck was about the same price as a ZL1 but it pays for itself and then some from plowing. Can you drive a ZL1 with the spacers installed?? May be a good idea so you have more clearance.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #44
pumpkinrancho
COMPULSIVE CAMARO OWNER

Drives: 18 ZLE,14 2ssrs,96,73 RS LT,69&67
Ask the Amarillo Texas camaro drivers that probably thought they didn't need snow tires.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #45
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam K View Post
I did it too, but mine is michelin pa3. see in tirerack.com. mine are 285/30/19 all. it work great and not problem of sliding. ( in my opinion)
Awesome stuff. Glad some guys are enjoying there cars and not getting too worked up about keeping the car perfect.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #46
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by I call it Vera View Post
Actually, I argue that it would be like the SS, only worse.

It's sooo easy to use the HP in this car, that you would need to be extra cautious in snow.

I'm getting a set of winter/ snow tires for mine, but I don't have it yet.
I counter-argue that PTM 1 riding on snow tires would make it easiER than an SS in the snow.

For what it's worth, VRYALT3R3D, the car underwent the same winter tests that all GM cars go through...580hp, or 130hp...So IT will be fine...the rest is up to you.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #47
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...no snow for me and my ride, but I may add that the heated seats are kick ass.....
Old 02-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #48
CAM5COR6
2012 ZL1 GBA,2013 ZL1 GLJ

Drives: 2012 ZL1 GBA 2013 ZL1 GLJ
Black 2012 ZL1, stock tires (GY F1 Supercar gen2), live in Maryland and drove in the snow a couple of times. Start out slow (2nd gear) and just take your time. My 2013 AGM ZL1 with automatic tranny is a different story....must use in manual paddle shifter mode. Real problem was getting them up my driveway, had to put one side of car off the driveway with traction and stability control off to coax them up....
CAM5COR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:23 AM   #49
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
Awesome stuff. Glad some guys are enjoying there cars and not getting too worked up about keeping the car perfect.
Yea, I suppose you're right. It's only a $60k pony car that people have been clammering to obtain since their release. Why keep it perfect? I think the main point here is (and some people are missing) there are better adverse weather options if it will be your ONLY car. A ZL1 is not a necessity, it is a want. If I absolutely needed a car and it would be my DD in snowy PA, I would not be looking at ZL1's. It's just not practical. 580 horsepower, 2 doors, sits low to the ground, summer tires, etc., etc.. You don't don't buy a ratchet to drive a nail. To each his own.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #50
Kevlar382

Drives: '12 ZL1; '71 RS/Z28; '99 Vette Conv
Buy another car and a cover for the ZL1.
Kevlar382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #51
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Amen, amen and amen! You're looking into a $60k, 580 horsepower pavement pounder, but don't have the cash for a cheap DD? It sounds as if you're bending yourself over the hood from a financial standpoint.
U mad bro?
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #52
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
My AWD beater solution for bad weather.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #53
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
U mad bro?
Mad about what? I agreed with what others have said. The OP can do as he pleases.
Attached Images

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #54
lopoetve

Drives: 2001 Firebird Formula, 2011 Triumph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
Can I come sandblast your car? Spray acid on the bottom? Pour coke on your seats?

No? Then why drive it in the snow - given what is put on the roads to deal with it, it's not far from the truth. Magnesium Chloride is not as corrosive as the old rock salt is, but it also isn't a nice wax job. It's still a corrosive chemical, and it will eat away at your car and destroy it if given enough time, and on top of that, will damage lots of connectors, joints, etc under there causing premature wear, failure, and replacement, reducing the overall usable life of your vehicle.

I just don't get why you'd spend this much time and money on a car to willingly subject it to that - it's not about keeping it perfect, it's about actually caring for it some.

Don't get me wrong - I drove my Firebird for a few years in the snow with nothing else, and then as soon as I could, I got a cheap beater DD (that has been upgraded since) so that I wasn't intentionally subjecting my nice car to abuse. I don't pour coke across the seats, and I don't drive it in the snow.
lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #55
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopoetve View Post
Can I come sandblast your car? Spray acid on the bottom? Pour coke on your seats?

No? Then why drive it in the snow - given what is put on the roads to deal with it, it's not far from the truth. Magnesium Chloride is not as corrosive as the old rock salt is, but it also isn't a nice wax job. It's still a corrosive chemical, and it will eat away at your car and destroy it if given enough time, and on top of that, will damage lots of connectors, joints, etc under there causing premature wear, failure, and replacement, reducing the overall usable life of your vehicle.

I just don't get why you'd spend this much time and money on a car to willingly subject it to that - it's not about keeping it perfect, it's about actually caring for it some.

Don't get me wrong - I drove my Firebird for a few years in the snow with nothing else, and then as soon as I could, I got a cheap beater DD (that has been upgraded since) so that I wasn't intentionally subjecting my nice car to abuse. I don't pour coke across the seats, and I don't drive it in the snow.
Well, that's odd.
My DD is a 08 Malibu and has been driven through every winter since the car was bought and runs just as fine as the day I bought it, and NO, this car is not babied in any way.

No parts have fallen off, no connectors have failed, no rust is visible, and the seats are still just fine.

How is that possible?
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #56
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS
hands out tissues
Jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote