Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
gmen09

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS ls3
Angry How to drive with a broken ankle?

Friday I was playing basketball, and basically landed weird on my right ankle, turns out its broken. Now i didn't drive to the gym, i went with some friends. Anyway i have to wear a gigantic boot that can't fit between the transmission tunnel and brake pedal. Basically i can't step on the gas. Very frustrating . My dad eagerly agreed to switching cars for a couple of weeks until i get this stupid boot off. I have been driving his truck using my left foot for the brakes and gas (a little herby jerky at first). My question is have any of you broken/injured a foot or leg that stopped you from driving, and how do you get around it?
Old 04-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
chathen613

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT RS
Lol, the exact same thing happened to me playing hockey in high school.. had to wear the immobilizer boot for about 6 weeks. I drove the whole time with my left foot for the pedals, with my right foot crossed underneath. Of course, that was also an auto.

My ride: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242142
chathen613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Broke my right ankle in college. I became a left foot driver until the cast came off. It was not hard. Just got in, curled my right leg under my left so it was out of the way, and drove using the left foot. You can do it man!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
It depends on the break. If you can take the pain using your foot won't be much of an issue but if doctors want your foot immobilized it isn't a good idea to mess around since you can drag out your recovery time or aggravate the injury and end up with a ton of swelling, make the pain 10x worse, and cause further damage.

I'd give it a few weeks and allow for some healing before you push things. I learned that lesson the hard way playing hockey and came back too early only to rebreak my foot and make a 6 week injury into a 4 month debacle. Your body can take only so much.

Be careful.
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
dr damon

Drives: 2011 MANTIS Camaro SS
Ruptured right Achilles playing basketball. Used left foot for pedals right leg was across middle of car on passenger side
Old 04-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
looks like it's time to find a lucky buddy or family member to trade cars with for 6 weeks or so
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
jdreswick

Drives: 1989 toyota land cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmen09 View Post
Friday I was playing basketball, and basically landed weird on my right ankle, turns out its broken. Now i didn't drive to the gym, i went with some friends. Anyway i have to wear a gigantic boot that can't fit between the transmission tunnel and brake pedal. Basically i can't step on the gas. Very frustrating . My dad eagerly agreed to switching cars for a couple of weeks until i get this stupid boot off. I have been driving his truck using my left foot for the brakes and gas (a little herby jerky at first). My question is have any of you broken/injured a foot or leg that stopped you from driving, and how do you get around it?
hehehe I think your dad is enjoying this.
gmen09=
Not to mention we couldn't go get the car dynoed the next day.
jdreswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Knee surgery (ACL) last yr. couldn't drive for 2 wks. Had to deal with it :(

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
InfernoMan2011

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr damon View Post
Ruptured right Achilles playing basketball. Used left foot for pedals right leg was across middle of car on passenger side
Kobe? Is that you!
InfernoMan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
Broken right ankle here and a stick shift years ago. I basically got driven around if needed until the cast come off. I had to wear a walking brace so that came off in the car. I couldn't put pressure on the right ankle for a while but could use the gas but couldn't push the brake with that foot. Once I got rolling in 1st I would change most of the time with the clutch but for braking I would just throw it into neutral and left foot brake. Put hand brake on at stop signs or red lights and clutch first and change gears with no clutch if I had to after 1st. Only wish I had the auto then. With the bucket seats in these cars for me it would be harder than the old bench seats where you could swing the right leg across and drive left footed. Good luck.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
kejobe

Drives: Wife - '13 200S. Me - '03 325I
Broke my right ankle in a car accident in '05-'06? Sometime around then. Anyway, I just took the cast off after 2 days. Started driving again the 3rd.
kejobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #12
edgehead2000
2016 Camaro 1LT 2.0T

Drives: Nemesis
Don't even think of driving with one foot man... Seriously.

My aunt tried 7 years back and ended up getting her foot stuck between the brake and gas. Guess what happened next? Yep, she burned some rubber, jumped the sidewalk, went through the grass and knocked down an outdoor wood patio into an apartment.

I looked outside to see wth happened thinking who could be so stupid. Then I heard my name, 'Eric!' lol. So yeah, not worth your time bro.
edgehead2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #13
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Cross your legs, left for gas, right for brake and clutch. Problem solved.

Don't actually do that...

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:11 AM   #14
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
I got nerve damage in my right foot about 8 years ago. Not able to work at the time I basically lost everything and had to file bankruptcy. I had to borrow my dad's Toyota pickup with a 5 speed. I could not and still cannot to this day feel the amount of pressure on the pedals. I had to get used to judging by the reaction of the car and sound as to how much gas or brake to apply. Hasn't changed much but has become like second nature now. The nerve damage is still there. And painfull 24/7. I took 30 mg MScontin 3 times a day for a year and a half. Got off of it so I could get my inspection certification over 6 years ago.