Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
loueradun

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS
Subwoofer Feedback when shuting off

Hey guys, I'm in the process of getting my system moved into the new Camaro.

I have an NVX XPLOC2 line out converter wired up to the 2 rear speakers (this is an LS without the BA amp btw). I am using the remote turn on switch from the LOC to switch my amp on/off. The system runs fine when the car is on, hits really well and almost no rattle except for the license plate.

When I go to shut the car off, 90% of the time, the LOC has no issues at all powering the amp off as designed, the other 10% of the time, the LOC stays on and after 2 or 3 seconds I start getting a feedback loop through my subwoofer that gets loud really quick. After another second or two, the sub is thumping at full volume. This doesn't stop until I turn the ignition back on and then off again. I have tried turning down the trigger on the LOC to almost nothing, but still no luck. I have also found that turning the radio off or shutting the car off will not turn the LOC (and the AMP) off. I actually have to open the door in order for it to disable the 12v switch to the AMP.

It sounds like the LOC is having issues for sure, just trying to determine why as it was working flawlessly in my other vehicle. There are a few unknowns that are confusing me... The LOC switch enables/disables the amp when it detects signal on the speaker wires. Why would it detect signal when the radio is off, but not when the doors are opened (and the car turns the radio off)? The only thing I can think is that it is detecting some electromagnetic interference from the car's electrical system on the rear speaker lines.

I'll be investigating further when I get home and can put a multimeter on it, just figured I'd put the question out there in case anyone has run into this before.

Here is the LOC I am using:
http://www.nvx.com/xploc2.html
loueradun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #2
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
I think what is happening is that it is staying on with your retained power circuit. The ba amp does a similar thing in order to play the chimes thru the car's speakers. So even though the radio might be switched off, it still needs to power up in order to play the chimes sounds, until you remove the key and open the door or cycle the ignition. Probably the best thing for you to do is eliminate the remote sensing turn-on portion and simply run a turn-on lead from your cig. lighter, which I believe is only on with the ignition.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
MaloCS

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Edition, 2SS Auto
The easiest thing to do is buy the ******** harness. No splicing, no cutting, no problems. Easy as pie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MaloCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:01 PM   #4
loueradun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post
The easiest thing to do is buy the ******** harness. No splicing, no cutting, no problems. Easy as pie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
According to the product description, the ******** harness only works with the BA audio system which I don't have, otherwise I would have went that route.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:08 PM   #5
loueradun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@******** View Post
I think what is happening is that it is staying on with your retained power circuit. The ba amp does a similar thing in order to play the chimes thru the car's speakers. So even though the radio might be switched off, it still needs to power up in order to play the chimes sounds, until you remove the key and open the door or cycle the ignition. Probably the best thing for you to do is eliminate the remote sensing turn-on portion and simply run a turn-on lead from your cig. lighter, which I believe is only on with the ignition.
Steve, it looks like you are right. I put a multimeter on it when I got home, and the speakers are powered up until you actually get out of the car. I think I will likely need to go the route of using the cigarette lighter or purchase a different LOC. I can adjust the trigger on my LOC to eliminate the problem, but when I do that, I lose almost all of my output to the amp.

Only other option I see is to check if there is a setting to disable the radio chime so it effectively turns off the speakers when the radio goes off... going to investigate that now.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
loueradun

So it looks like I can only set the chime to low or high, no option to turn it off... As for wiring to the cigarette lighter, it looks like I will lose the ability to A) have the amp continue to stay on while getting out of the car and B) lose the ability to run my sub when turning the radio on with the ignition off.

That said, is there any LOC that is recommended to work with this vehicle that has a remote turn off switch? I would really like to keep those functions, and I'm not a big fan of having to tear open the center console to get the power wire if I don't have to.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:31 PM   #7
loueradun

I just spoke with Brian over at NVX and explained what was going on (their customer support over there is amazing). He is going to ship me out a new unit, will let you guys know how it goes.

Feel free to recommend any other LOCs you guys may have used that work well, as I will likely pick up another if this new one from NVX doesn't work out.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #8
exolalde

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LS
I have 2 LOCs tapping off my rear speaker in parallel. I thought I would separate the switching function from the audio. One LOC (PAC SOEM-T) is dedicated to remote switching of the amp and the other LOC (PAC LP7-2) is to provide the RCA audio output. Both of the LOCs I am using have remote switching capabilities, but only 1 LOC is hooked up to 12v and serves this purpose - it's only function is to sense when the radio is on/off from the input signal - the RCA audio output is not connected. The second LOC is NOT hooked up to a 12 volt power source, taps off the rear speaker also, and provides the RCA audio output to the amp. I don't get feedback anymore. Both LOC units are getting input and tapped into my rear speakers in parallel. I hope this helps.
exolalde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:24 AM   #9
Tmick5jr
Todd

Drives: 2012 Camaro
why is $ubthump being blocked out?
Tmick5jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:12 PM   #10
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmick5jr View Post
why is $ubthump being blocked out?
Because he (Steve) is no longer a supporting (read, PAYING) vendor on Camaro5, so his account is suspended and all references to his site are blocked. I mean who cares how much he helps the community? This site isn't about helping the members, it's about making money.

I'll probably get banned for the above statement, but it really hurts that someone who took so much of his own personal time to help out us music-loving Camaro drivers has been treated so harshly.

There may be more to his suspension that what I stated as the reason, but the blocking of his website and account suspension seems a bit vindictive.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:07 AM   #11
Tigerfan

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray Camaro
I agree about hooking the remote wire up to the cig lighter. I tapped into the green wire in the back of the center console and it works perfectly. I plan on installing a switch in the cup holder area so I can turn the amp on and off as I please.
Tigerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #12
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
^ That's what I did. I always shut off the sub before I turn off the stereo.

See post #4 here for switch location: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315604
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote