Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: WIll gas prices affect your decision to purchase a Camaro
No, I am happy with 27 mpg 136 77.27%
Maybe, it depends on where gas prices are at its release 35 19.89%
Definitely, I have already looked to get a more fuel efficient car 2 1.14%
Maybe so now, the Volt looks nice! 3 1.70%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2008, 09:11 PM   #113
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
It really doesn't matter to me. (Hopefully) after a few months I won't drive it everyday, and will keep my 94 for a DD. I don't even look at the gas prices because you gotta have it either way, I just say how many dollars of gas I want, and I'm never shocked to see that it cost 80+ dollars to fill a tank.

In my book, anything that gets 18+mpg city is good... Heck, my 94 z28 pulls down almost 22 consistently in the city, believe it or not, I know what it gets.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:24 PM   #114
nonsensez9

Drives: 05 mustang gt
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Apparently when AFM switches on and off, it is a little jerky, and they depend on the automatic's torque converter to absorb that so the driver doesn't feel it.
shucks. I guess a 6 speed manual will be good enough.
nonsensez9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:55 PM   #115
michele.lee

Drives: 2000 Camaro and 1992 Blazer
27 MPG!!! Can't wait!

Wow! the new camaros will get 27mpg - can't wait - my 2000 gets like 18 and my old Blazer gets 12. so i guess i'll save a lot of gas $ cruising around in my 2010!
michele.lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:33 AM   #116
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
You won't save any gas. The savings you get from having better MPG will be a wash against the gas you spend because you can't resist cruising in your new Camaro!
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:42 AM   #117
michele.lee

Drives: 2000 Camaro and 1992 Blazer
YES! I am looking forward to putting MANY joyous miles on that car! I don't care how much the gas is - I'll still look cooler than my budget-crunching Prius-driving neighbors - bet I'll be happier too!
michele.lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #118
darthknight72

Drives: 1983 trans am
We might as well enjoy this muscle car era while it lasts.I think in the near future most performance cars will be supercharger or turbo 4 bangers and v-6's.i hope im wrong but with everyone having to get over 30 MPG,its going to be hard to reach that number with V-8's in the lineup.Lets hope technology catches up,so we can keep our performance V-8's.
darthknight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:46 AM   #119
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthknight72 View Post
We might as well enjoy this muscle car era while it lasts.I think in the near future most performance cars will be supercharger or turbo 4 bangers and v-6's.i hope im wrong but with everyone having to get over 30 MPG,its going to be hard to reach that number with V-8's in the lineup.Lets hope technology catches up,so we can keep our performance V-8's.
I'm not so sure. With the recent advances in engines plus some weight reduction, it should be possible to have a Camaro crack 30 mpg highway, with a V8. Add to that the fact that GM's total V8 sales in cars are probably under 100k (with the Camaro added in). That is a drop in the bucket compared to their total sales. In effect, it becomes more important for them to make cobalts that average 36 mpg than getting Camaro's to average 26.

Now, that being said, cars like the current impalla ss will likely lose their V8. But for many that want a V8 performance car, there simply is no substitute. Therefore, there will always be a market for such cars, though it might be very small.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:41 AM   #120
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I'm not so sure. With the recent advances in engines plus some weight reduction
Good luck on weight reduction. Weight (for the average car, in general) hit bottom in the early to mid 1990s, and has been going up ever since. It looks like around 1973 the Camaro was at its previous highest weight; google reports ~3600 pounds for 1973, which also seems to be the minimum guess people have for the new Camaro.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:55 AM   #121
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
ok when you read this post you dont think about socks right? so when i think about camaro i dont think of gas milage.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #122
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
I think the industry as a whole will be looking to weight savings materials. Once there is an increased demand for carbon fiber there will be more of an incentive to have more plants making it along with better and cheaper ways to make it.

You'll see alot more Direct Injection, Turbo chargers and even hybrid sports cars but most of them will be for Asian manufacturers, at least initially (Honda CRZ, Toyota FHTS of whatever it was called). I think V-8's will still be offered in Mustangs and Camaro's as there will always be a core group who will buy those although it may shrink.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:23 PM   #123
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
ok when you read this post you dont think about socks right? so when i think about camaro i dont think of gas milage.
hmm. Lots of people would disagree. No, fuel economy isn't the FIRST deciding factor. Becuase if it was, they certainly wouldn't be looking at a Camaro. But between the three cars (Challenger, Mustang, Camaro), buyers will compare the fuel economy of the cars. And Camaro will win that comparison

Quote:
I'm not so sure. With the recent advances in engines plus some weight reduction, it should be possible to have a Camaro crack 30 mpg highway, with a V8.
Definitely.
Quote:
Now, that being said, cars like the current impalla ss will likely lose their V8.
I think you're 100% correct.