Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-16-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
MattSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 CGM
Pre-Header install checklist

Hi guys,

I'm prepping to install a set of Kooks LT headers w/ cats and want to make sure I have everything I need prior to tearing things apart. I've got the headers, cats, new factory gaskets and O2 extenders plus an SCT with a Janetty tune for when the hardware is installed.

I'm pretty new to wrenching but i've successfully everything in my sig myself.

I've heard people say to soak the O2 sensor bungs with WD40 overnight and i think someone has mentioned something called anti-seize for the header bolts? Can someone give me some pointers? Pretend I don't know anything... cause I don't. I just pretend I do.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #2
mbowen89

Drives: 2015 CRT 2SS/RS 1LE
You have all the different kinds of sockets and extenders and wrenches and how are you going to jack the car up etc etc?
mbowen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:31 PM   #3
MattSS

Yep, i've got a standard socket set and I'll have the help of a buddy who's bringing jack/stands, torch, torque wrench
Old 06-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
The trick to the O2 sensors is getting the exhaust hot before cracking them loose.

Cold pipes will have a death grip on the threads.

Take the car out for a drive. Then get it up real high on 4 stands. Have 4 decent size stands available. Then once up and nice and secure on stands... run the engine again for a bit. Shut it off, and right away crack the O2s loose and run them out.

Then start the rest of the install.

Dipstick reinstall can be a bit fun too. Use a flashlight to find the path to the hole, and maybe a helper down below.

Use a small amount of anti seize on the spark plugs and header bolts. And be careful, don't force or over tighten either. It's just aluminum threads in the heads. Make sure they are turning in easy by hand before putting a wrench on it.

Real tall jack stands are your friend for this job. I think mine have been set around 24".
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:00 PM   #5
MattSS

Thanks. I really appreciate the advice!
Old 06-17-2015, 08:32 PM   #6
mbowen89

I did mine with only front stands at not quite 16", if that. And did it by myself.

You two should be able to git r done!

I only had 1.5k miles on the car though, it's practically brand new still, everything came apart like butter!
Old 06-18-2015, 03:15 AM   #7
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
torque the header bolts to 11ftlbs from the center out then GM manual says 15ftlbs. I tq mine to 20ftlbs. I dont use anti seize on the header bolts. spark plugs get torqued to 11ftlbs with anti seize. make sure to zip tie any wiring up so it can not touch the headers.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:43 AM   #8
MattSS

LoL, mine is a 5 1/2 year old car that just crossed over 30k miles. It's my DD and I live in Illinois, so I expect 'like butter' will not be a phrase I'll use after I get done. 'Holy rusted metal, Batman!' is much more likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowen89 View Post
I did mine with only front stands at not quite 16", if that. And did it by myself.

You two should be able to git r done!

I only had 1.5k miles on the car though, it's practically brand new still, everything came apart like butter!
Old 06-18-2015, 10:47 AM   #9
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Ive heard not to put anything on the header bolts, not really sure why, but I never did. Ive never had a problem getting header bolts out though.

They make an O2 sensor socket, available at autozone probably, made to slip over the wire. Helped me a ton.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:33 PM   #10
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I'd love to hear your opinion about in cabin noise after the header install. I have nearly that same setup and I keep wondering how loud the in cabin noise will end up being when I go with LT's.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:37 AM   #11
mbowen89

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
I'd love to hear your opinion about in cabin noise after the header install. I have nearly that same setup and I keep wondering how loud the in cabin noise will end up being when I go with LT's.
Which setup?
Old 06-19-2015, 07:45 AM   #12
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
The trick to the O2 sensors is getting the exhaust hot before cracking them loose.

Cold pipes will have a death grip on the threads.

Take the car out for a drive. Then get it up real high on 4 stands. Have 4 decent size stands available. Then once up and nice and secure on stands... run the engine again for a bit. Shut it off, and right away crack the O2s loose and run them out.

Then start the rest of the install.

Dipstick reinstall can be a bit fun too. Use a flashlight to find the path to the hole, and maybe a helper down below.

Use a small amount of anti seize on the spark plugs and header bolts. And be careful, don't force or over tighten either. It's just aluminum threads in the heads. Make sure they are turning in easy by hand before putting a wrench on it.

Real tall jack stands are your friend for this job. I think mine have been set around 24".
No don't run your car before the install then he'll have to wait a long time for it to cool unless he want to burn himself. He said his friend has a torch. And your not supposed to put anti seize on the spark plugs but put some on the header bolts.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:48 AM   #13
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Also check out my thread I made about headers when I put mine in. And I am a noob http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402218
Old 06-19-2015, 08:10 AM   #14
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
if the AC Delco 41-110 spark plug are new then they do not need anti seize. if they were removed from the head they do or in 70,000 miles you will be having a very hard time getting them out.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote