Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #15
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
This is even better than the separator GM installes on the ZL1, and as for temps, I suspect it is from their legal dept as with all things releases.

This will be effective on the cleanside for sure, but that is responsible for only 2-4% or so of the oil ingestion....the dirty side is where almost all comes from, but use this w/a good catchcan and you have a good combo.

At least GM is doing something about it.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #16
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
I won't use at all. Just my RX....but come to think of it.....looks like I might need to buy a normal oil cap
Old 10-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #17
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
This is even better than the separator GM installes on the ZL1, and as for temps, I suspect it is from their legal dept as with all things releases.

This will be effective on the cleanside for sure, but that is responsible for only 2-4% or so of the oil ingestion....the dirty side is where almost all comes from, but use this w/a good catchcan and you have a good combo.

Thanks Tracy, both it is then.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #18
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post

Can you explain what you mean with clean and dirty sides? Also, how would you set up a catch can with this combo and the other pipe plugrd off?

The oil cap will come with the car since this standard part will probably come in your trunk.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #19
tramtwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
Can you explain what you mean with clean and dirty sides? Also, how would you set up a catch can with this combo and the other pipe plugrd off?

The oil cap will come with the car since this standard part will probably come in your trunk.
You have to poke around the forum. The catch can subject is covered extensively. And SC2150 is at the forefront of the technology.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #20
tramtwo

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216311

Last edited by tramtwo; 10-21-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #21
Mgizzle

Tx for that link, read that already and many more. I still dont undrerstand why the 1le seperator is only catching 2-4% blow by because it is from the claen side?
Old 10-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #22
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpilot View Post
Oil freezing?? Not on this planet. Oil may get extremely thick but won't freeze except for tar oil which is used in making asphalt. This I'm sure is as someone else said is for legal reasons i.e, EPA. Remember if the EPA had its way racing, track days and V8 engines would be out lawed, they don't believe in fun!
Not what I meant. (And I said legal reasons. ) water vapor will also play a part, albeit small...and while oil won't freeze, it does thicken...and the vapors could condense and pool in the low-areas of the tube. I just suggested the effects cold weather could have on this system that they might want to legally stay away from.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #23
charlie46

Drives: 2013 camaro 1le
Is this a design flaw with the LS3 engine that you need a catch can or do all engines need this when road racing? (mustang 5.0 ? )
charlie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #24
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie46 View Post
Is this a design flaw with the LS3 engine that you need a catch can or do all engines need this when road racing? (mustang 5.0 ? )
You don't 'need' one for the engine to operate properly during the warranty period. But many enthusiasts swear by a catch can for maintaining performance as the engine accumulates more miles, as you can read in the numerous threads on the subject we have around here.

All modern engines from the factory have a PCV emissions system that sends excess oil vapor from the crank case into the intake for burning. Each ingests oil in this way to varying degrees. It's not a design "flaw" as it is a design variation.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #25
rrpilot

Drives: Chevy Trailblazer, Ford Flex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Not what I meant. (And I said legal reasons. ) water vapor will also play a part, albeit small...and while oil won't freeze, it does thicken...and the vapors could condense and pool in the low-areas of the tube. I just suggested the effects cold weather could have on this system that they might want to legally stay away from.
I figured that was what you really meant, but you know how some folks on here are, they take everything literal, so the next thing you may have seen posted was "oh no do I need to worry about my engine freezing" now most C5 member know better but there are allot of folks that come here for valuable info, so I just wanted to make sure the record was straight. Now you are totally correct that oil does get thicker or for correctness increases it's viscosity. The of course, effects all cars and is more of a concern of the oil pump and bottom end damage. This is not of as much concern now days with modern oil, but owners should always refer to the owners manual. In any case people in extreme cold climates should know the effect and cause on oil. But for those that were not as much aware should now be. Great discussion!
rrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #26
Mgizzle

Ok, so I finally figured out all the clean side, dirty side etc.

Currently, there is a small (3-4'' long) pipe that goes from under the throttle body (right after the throttle body) which is an inlet from the crank case, to the intake manifold right after the throttle (right above the inlet. This is the dirty side blow by, which makes sense since you are literally venting from where all the action is taking place RIGHT into the manifold. Hence, also why the catch can install is using this inlet and outlet.

The clean side is venting from the valve cover into the intake itself, prior to hitting the throttle body. This 1LE PCV kit is only going to change the vent cover routing, not the one after the throttle that is right from the crank case to the intake.

Hence, I see why above it was mentioned that doing both would help the most. Now I am curious why GM only decided on doing the valve cover change? It would almost indicate that this is the source for most of the blow by and by reducing it there you make the most impact.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #27
tramtwo

If the engineers got to do all they wanted no one could afford the product.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #28
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
If the engineers got to do all they wanted no one could afford the product.
Which is why Lexus kicked Mercedes ass with the LS400 in 1989. Base price was $35K. S-Class was $76K. The overengineered overlycomplicated Mercedes sales ground to a halt until they became much cheaper.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote