Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #15
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
When I took mine in for the same problem, the dealer told me there is a bulleting posted for the ZL1 to expect some chatter from the rear diff. So they did not do anything. I even mentioned it might need fluid change or additive.
Did they show you the bulletin? My Dealer couldn't find anything like that.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #16
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Here is another relevant thread.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262301

The service bulletin is included.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #17
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Its a problem with 2012+ cars, I went to the dealer and had my fluid and friction modifier changed, havent heard it again since
Old 11-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #18
2012 ZL1#1658

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post
Here is another relevant thread.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262301

The service bulletin is included.
It specifically excludes ZL1's in the service bulletin. Does that make any difference? I'm just going to take it to the dealership if I hear noises like the ones mentioned above. Just to be safe.
2012 ZL1#1658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #19
bwolf11

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1/2018 ZL1 1LE
This was the thread I started a few weeks ago....
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259766
I took mine in to have the read diff changed and was told that it will take a few hundred miles to quiet it down. I still get the noise but only drove it about 100 miles since. I possible think it might just be the front tires scrubbing a little when turning slow...like a push when turning slow??
bwolf11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #20
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
FWIW...I have had much noise coming from the rear axle similar to what you described and have reached about 1,300 miles. The rear axle has quieted down significantly over time. Just my personal observation of my car.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #21
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I am having a similar problem with my '12 SS. What really irritates me is that I PAID my dealer to change out my diff fluid just over the Summer because I had read about what was going on with these. But I'm getting INCREDIBLE low humming noise between 1000 and 1300 or so RPMs when cruising or starting to roll. For a while i was wondering if my Borla ATAK system was vibrating incredibly or something, but I'm realizing that it's got to be this differential issue.

SOOOooo, now I'm out the money I paid to have the car serviced when in fact this is a warranty issue. What exactly should I do with this? Thoughts?

To be clear, the car makes the kind of sounds that a stick shift otherwise makes when you drive it in too low a gear for the speed, but in my car it happens when in the appropriate gear for gas mileage, during the computer assisted skip shift, or simply from a gentle roll. I've seen people refer to this as "chatter" but I don't think that's an accurate description for the sound so I want to make sure we are all talking about the same thing.

Have you been to a dealership to diagnose this? Where did you get your Camaro repaired? Please send me any details via PM.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #22
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
When I took mine in for the same problem, the dealer told me there is a bulleting posted for the ZL1 to expect some chatter from the rear diff. So they did not do anything. I even mentioned it might need fluid change or additive.

That is BS.
I printed a good example from the forum and took it to the dealer. i turned them around in the parkinglot so they can har the noise. They spoke with GM and a couple weeks later scheduled a free diff. fluid change. I did about 10 eights in the parkinglot and the noise was gone.
My take is that because this is a high performance car which hopefully people drive it harded for that reason, the oil breaks down much quicker than in a normal car. i changed mine at 4000miles and never tracked it yet. I could still hear something in cold mornings but nothing close to what I've heard before so it was /is definitely the oil.
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #23
PNYSLAR
Summit White 2012 ZL1 M6

Drives: 2010 BLACK 2SS/RS M6 Delvd 8/24/9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern07 View Post
So over the last week or so I've noticed a groaning/grinding noise coming from the rear when I'm driving forwards and turning slowly...it's possibly there all the time, but drowned out by the engine/exhaust at higher speeds so I don't notice it.

Anyone else had this issue, or got any ideas what it might be?

700 Miles on it so far

Couple this with the MyLink issue and it looks like a trip to the dealer is needed :(
Mines at the dealership for the same issue. They are changing the fluid first and if that doesn't work then the entire rearend will be R&R'd
2012 Summit White ZL1 Manual 6sp Blk 10 spoke, "Thanks Champion Chevrolet" delivered 6/9/2012 #1588
PNYSLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #24
scottzl1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I have this problem also. I actually work as a manager at my dealership so there is no bs-ing me. My service manager drove my car and heard the noise. He said that it is "normal". Nothing to do...per him and gm due to no tsb's. I have had my share of performance cars including a Z06...and my assumption is that it is NOT normal at all to hear/feel such a noise. I am not sure what to do. I know that the warranty will kick in in the event of failure but it is a pain to hear a not normal noise coming from a 66k performance car. Just my experience and opinion.

Scott
scottzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #25
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzl1 View Post
I have this problem also. I actually work as a manager at my dealership so there is no bs-ing me. My service manager drove my car and heard the noise. He said that it is "normal". Nothing to do...per him and gm due to no tsb's. I have had my share of performance cars including a Z06...and my assumption is that it is NOT normal at all to hear/feel such a noise. I am not sure what to do. I know that the warranty will kick in in the event of failure but it is a pain to hear a not normal noise coming from a 66k performance car. Just my experience and opinion.

Scott
Scott
It's the oil, they have to change it as the book says it lasts 50,000miles. They did it for me. Metal on metal makes the noise and it will break right after the warranty is done. then what?
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #26
scottzl1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
Scott
It's the oil, they have to change it as the book says it lasts 50,000miles. They did it for me. Metal on metal makes the noise and it will break right after the warranty is done. then what?
Gear oil?
scottzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #27
DarinU

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I was at the dealer to have the fuild changed due to this issue. In speaking with the service manager, there is a TSB in the works but waiting on legal to give th OK. It was explained to me that if you bring it in and complain they are going to drain and refill then drive in circles to coat the internals. Then if you continue to complain, they are to replace the entire diff. The dealership had contacted the top service guys about another ZL1 and were aware of the problem prior to me buying my ZL1 a month ago.
DarinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #28
STINGER BEE
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE

Drives: Drives a 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
I had the same problem until I changed the rear axle fluid out.