Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the Mustang?
Hate it. Plain and simple. 11 7.19%
Improvement... but not my cup of Tea 27 17.65%
Love it, its my next car. 25 16.34%
Its cool, but its not a Camaro. 90 58.82%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #3851
DeathChill

Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTheGloves View Post
Try more like 13.1-13.4 with the average driver with the SS. To compare the 2011 GT times, would be ridiculous, seeing as it's not even out yet. If their engines are anywhere close to being as strong as the 03-04 terminators, people are going to be in for a surprise.
I meant the average faster times (as I said). I didn't mean the 2011, I meant the 2010 as I was quoting Ninjak, who was talking about the 2010.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #3852
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
geez...this thread still going?
Old 12-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #3853
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
Come to the fest inspect the cars and witnes the runs..all there is to it

the party was great
When the 2011 GT does hit the ground and more than a few are on the road it might be neat to get together with a few of the different Camaro and Mustang forums and have a 'meet'. I miss the old Grand National vs 5.0L Mustang meets and this might be the best opportunity we've had since that time to revive what was truly a fun time.

Heck, until very recently I used to frequent the Buick Nationals in Bowling Green, particularly when my wife (then fiance) worked in Hotel Management in Bowling Green. I well remember her calling me up one day saying, and I swear this is a direct quote....."What in the Hell are all these big black boxes doing burnouts in my parking lot'.....I thought I was going to bust a lung. She absolutely loved it when the GN guys showed up too, truly a great bunch of guys who loved their cars, loved to race, and were great to get along with.

Of course, the important thing to remember would be that, while bench racing and even talking a little smack can be fun, it would all need to be kept exactly that....in fun. I'll give guys on here and even guys I know a hard time, but mom taught us all to be polite for a reason. Given the possibility of people letting things get out of hand if such an event ever were to occur I think it would be important to 'vote in' some guys who can decide is somebody needs to be told to go home.

Just a thought. Modern Mustang vs modern Camaro, possibly with a street and strip component, could be a real blast.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #3854
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
When the 2011 GT does hit the ground and more than a few are on the road it might be neat to get together with a few of the different Camaro and Mustang forums and have a 'meet'. I miss the old Grand National vs 5.0L Mustang meets and this might be the best opportunity we've had since that time to revive what was truly a fun time.

Heck, until very recently I used to frequent the Buick Nationals in Bowling Green, particularly when my wife (then fiance) worked in Hotel Management in Bowling Green. I well remember her calling me up one day saying, and I swear this is a direct quote....."What in the Hell are all these big black boxes doing burnouts in my parking lot'.....I thought I was going to bust a lung. She absolutely loved it when the GN guys showed up too, truly a great bunch of guys who loved their cars, loved to race, and were great to get along with.

Of course, the important thing to remember would be that, while bench racing and even talking a little smack can be fun, it would all need to be kept exactly that....in fun. I'll give guys on here and even guys I know a hard time, but mom taught us all to be polite for a reason. Given the possibility of people letting things get out of hand if such an event ever were to occur I think it would be important to 'vote in' some guys who can decide is somebody needs to be told to go home.

Just a thought. Modern Mustang vs modern Camaro, possibly with a street and strip component, could be a real blast.
Yep that will be cool, I think what a few people are missing about the Fest is that there will be quite a few mustangs and chally's coming..This is open to all Camaro5 members no matter what you drive...of course photo ops will be for all Camaro's for print but there are going to be tons of great racing between the big three. I'm not at liberty to say but a few well known national publications will be there.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #3855
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
I don't know if it's been posted yet, but the GT gets 25 mpg.

http://www.examiner.com/x-8811-Detro...ustang-GT-news
Well the good news about this is that the MPG matches the SS auto MPG...

On top of that the mustang engine reaches peak power at 6500 RPM, and has 20-30 lb/ft torque than the L99/LS3 Both engines reach peak power at 5900 RPM. That's roughly 10% lower (earlier) than the Mustang's engine.

So the Camaro has more weight, more torque and more HP...

I think the Camaro still has a chance at kicking the mustang's tail because it has 8% more torque. The MT mustang weighs 3,533 lbs (will probably weigh a little more with the new engine) and the MT Camaro SS weighs 3860 lbs which is 9% more. But, the Camaro reaches the peak TQ and HP earlier than the new Mustang... So even with the extra weight, the Camaro still has a good chance I think of beating the Mustang!
Old 12-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #3856
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaZ View Post
They already have the track pack available for the GT which i'm pretty sure handles better than a Camaro. Plus it'll be available on the new V6's as well, as an option, still with a live axle lol.
The performance pack for the V6 gives it GT parts, while the Track pack for the GT gives it GT500 parts. i believe.

either way chevy WILL update there camaro, they will not just hand their sales over to ford....thats just dumb.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #3857
fazm

Drives: ex-500hp v6 mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
Well the good news about this is that the MPG matches the SS auto MPG...

On top of that the mustang engine reaches peak power at 6500 RPM, and has 20-30 lb/ft torque than the L99/LS3 Both engines reach peak power at 5900 RPM. That's roughly 10% lower (earlier) than the Mustang's engine.

So the Camaro has more weight, more torque and more HP...

I think the Camaro still has a chance at kicking the mustang's tail because it has 8% more torque. The MT mustang weighs 3,533 lbs (will probably weigh a little more with the new engine) and the MT Camaro SS weighs 3860 lbs which is 9% more. But, the Camaro reaches the peak TQ and HP earlier than the new Mustang... So even with the extra weight, the Camaro still has a good chance I think of beating the Mustang!

remember as weight increases, power to weight ratio must increase as well.

a 2000lb car with a 9/1 ratio and a 3000 lb car with a 9/1 ratio, the 2000lb car wins every time if setup identically.

camaro is like 9.06/1
mustang is 8.73 assuming a 3600lb weight, even at 3700lbs it will have a better power/weight ratio.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #3858
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
I'm still not buying the 12.6 second run. While not as much of a regular as I once was I still spend a fair share of time down at the strip, and I've never seen anybody run faster than the 12.8-12.9 second range in a stock SS, and as far as I know neither have any of the guys I hang around with and several of them are serious GM diehards. (I'll double check) If the 12.6 gets backed up at the Fest and said run passes the sniff test I'll buy it, and that well may happen, but until then I'll remain a skeptic.
That whole post just said you don't believe the 12.6 because you haven't seen it. Then I'm sure the Mustang didn't run a 13.2 stock, you didn't see it. The GT500 didn't run a 12.0 stock, you didn't see it. The list goes on and on...
Old 12-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #3859
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
^ perfect. Explained good enough for me. Wish I could explained it that way.

Is a Human capable? Yes. Can the average human run? Yes. Can the average human run 9.6? No.

Best analogy to what I was saying. What does the average or majority do? Not what it can do?

And if someone throws in a slow example thats like throwing in a Usain Bolt. Just from one extreme to another.

I guess I strive for modest and common examples. I dont like hearing extremes for examples what a car WILL do. That going to lead the average joe to disappointment and delusion.
That's why companies choose an average time as an advertised time. The comparisons of vehicles need the best drivers that are available, or its a pointless comparison.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #3860
philipdistefano
Remember, Remember...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Send a message via AIM to philipdistefano
What I found interesting was that the new V6 Mustang will have a CAI in it, stock. If we upgrade our V6 Camaros with a good CAI, we're back on top as far as HP and probably MPG go (and maybe torque...but we're still heavier though ).
Old 12-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #3861
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Cams only 05-10 4.6...~350 rwhp.

Cam (singular) only LS3....~480 rwhp.

Thats all the reason I need.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:51 PM   #3862
porcupinekiller

Drives: 2010 GT500
The drivetrain and suspension offerings on the Camaro are pretty solid. One thing that will give sales a bit of a boost is when the drop top hits the streets. Because right now the Mustang is the only one of the pony/muscle car market to offer one. The Camaro convertible should be pretty sweet.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #3863
DropTheGloves
Account Suspended

Drives: 2009 TT 335/2009 GSX-R 1000/ECT..
Quote:

I already mentioned something like this, and had very little response. I know the FL/GA mustang vs GTO challenges were huge every year.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:08 PM   #3864
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTheGloves View Post
I already mentioned something like this, and had very little response. I know the FL/GA mustang vs GTO challenges were huge every year.
do they still occur?

Closed Thread