Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 03-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #29
JHL88

Drives: 02 z06
this is a no comparison. my buddy just bought a red m6 370z and they are not to be taken lightly especially when turns are involved. he took me for a ride on a long twisty back road on the way to the movies a few days ago and i was very impressed with it as he pushed her a bit. i think a good race would be his car and my ls1. cant speak for a new ss because i havent test driven one yet
2002 torch redc5z06 - sold :(
'13 z71 4x4 - DD

www.fquick.com/JHL88
JHL88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #30
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
I test drove a touring 370Z then test drove a 2SS...i went with the 2SS

Big power difference and you CAN feel it. The 370z was no fun for me, if anything, i would buy a used 350z and mod it up a little if i was into tuners.
They look almost the same.
mcdoogle6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #31
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
nissan did about as much as they could in upgrading the 370 from the 350.. id like to see other manufacturers try to adopt the impressive engine and tranny figures in their v6 department... honda for one could use a strong v6 in there next rwd sport coupe
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #32
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
nissan did about as much as they could in upgrading the 370 from the 350.. id like to see other manufacturers try to adopt the impressive engine and tranny figures in their v6 department... honda for one could use a strong v6 in there next rwd sport coupe
Wasn't Nissan's V6 just dropped from the Ward's best engine's list?
Old 03-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #33
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
The problem with the VQ series of engines is that noise, vibration, and harshness has increased along with the power and torque. GM and Ford have 300+ hp V6's that get better fuel economy in heavier cars. The VQ's aregreat if you look at hp/L and quite good for torque/L. But in other areas they fall short.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #34
CoolestCamaro873
The Road's A Bad Joke...

Drives: '12 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
370z will destroy a v6 camaro... camaro is heavier and less power lol... you will need a ss you beat a 370z
Yep! Very True! If you had two normal guys a 370Z would even beat an SS if oyu throw a bunch of turns into the mix. Handles better and is much more balanced, around a noraml track and drag the SS will beat the Z!
Old 03-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #35
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolestCamaro873 View Post
Yep! Very True! If you had two normal guys a 370Z would even beat an SS if oyu throw a bunch of turns into the mix. Handles better and is much more balanced, around a noraml track and drag the SS will beat the Z!
Except in C&D's latest Lightning Lap, the SS beat the Nismo 370Z and did the same thing over the summer at Motor Trend's Best Driver's Car competition:
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 03-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #36
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Except in C&D's latest Lightning Lap, the SS beat the Nismo 370Z and did the same thing over the summer at Motor Trend's Best Driver's Car competition:
+1. Turns don't magically render the Camaro inept on a race track.
It's very impressive, in fact.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #37
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The problem with the VQ series of engines is that noise, vibration, and harshness has increased along with the power and torque. GM and Ford have 300+ hp V6's that get better fuel economy in heavier cars. The VQ's aregreat if you look at hp/L and quite good for torque/L. But in other areas they fall short.
this is what i was referring to... im a big hp/liter guy... you know some people like the specific sound the VQ motors put out... same goes with the mustang, LSx, etc... something about a V motor, dohc, twin intakes, 4v, 6 spd manual/7 spd auto, rwd, and some kind of variable cam or valve timing shows me that they are trying to get as much out of the engine as possible while remaining a mid size displacement v6..
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:41 PM   #38
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Drives: Not a Camaro
A buddy I work with drives a 370z and yes his car can spank my v6 hands down like i'm not even trying...

But in my opinion, its a douchebag car. So i don't care. I look sexier than he does. lol.
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #39
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
this is what i was referring to... im a big hp/liter guy... you know some people like the specific sound the VQ motors put out... same goes with the mustang, LSx, etc... something about a V motor, dohc, twin intakes, 4v, 6 spd manual/7 spd auto, rwd, and some kind of variable cam or valve timing shows me that they are trying to get as much out of the engine as possible while remaining a mid size displacement v6..
I don't care for hp/L, simply because its completely irrelevant to a cars performance. Hp, torque, weight, power curves ... all those are important. But going crazy for high peaked engine with relatively poor fuel economy (for a V6) just doesn't make sense to me.

The way I see it, they haven't gained anything by sticking with a V6. Fuel economy in the 370z is about the same as in the LS3 Corvette, yet its down by about 100 hp and 150 ft-lbs of torque in a car that is similar in size and weight. Or, compare it against the new V6 in the Mustang or the current one in the Camaro, cars which are substantially larger (and therefore inherently less efficient). Sure,they don't make as much power but fuel economy is substantially better.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 03-22-2010, 01:44 PM   #40
Mize

Drives: A3, 370z roadster
I recently replaced my fun car. My requirement was 2-seater (no kids thank you, that's what the SUV is for) and convertible. Had there been an SS convertible I would have probably waived rule number one because the SS is that good. The Camaro reputation of heavy an poor handling just isn't so any longer. Unfortunately with no convertible for at least another year (and they've said that for two years now) I went with a 370z roadster. My only other option was the non-Shelby Mustang (yuck).

I love the 370z, but, like I said, a convertible SS would have won my money even though it has room for stress-inducing rug rats.
Mize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #41
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mize View Post
I recently replaced my fun car. My requirement was 2-seater (no kids thank you, that's what the SUV is for) and convertible. Had there been an SS convertible I would have probably waived rule number one because the SS is that good. The Camaro reputation of heavy an poor handling just isn't so any longer. Unfortunately with no convertible for at least another year (and they've said that for two years now) I went with a 370z roadster. My only other option was the non-Shelby Mustang (yuck).

I love the 370z, but, like I said, a convertible SS would have won my money even though it has room for stress-inducing rug rats.
the 4th gen Camaro's are known to handle well, and i've heard great things from the 3rd gen's in autocross. What generation of Camaro has a reputation of poor handling (other than the current gen of so-so handling)?
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #42
Mize

Drives: A3, 370z roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
the 4th gen Camaro's are known to handle well, and i've heard great things from the 3rd gen's in autocross. What generation of Camaro has a reputation of poor handling (other than the current gen of so-so handling)?
It's simply anecdotal from the people I talked to when shopping cars. The Camaro is seen by many as a poor handling Corvette. I drove a couple back in the 80s that handled poorly on a stock suspension, but my boss had a modded one with a cobra suspension and tweaked engine that held its own against a BMW M1...
Mize is offline   Reply With Quote