Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #43
Wingnut
GOT IT....LOVE IT!!!

Drives: 2010 2SS, Silver Ice
We got a quote for $125 to do the muffler delete. I am having it done Thursday at lunch. I'll give feedback after the install.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #44
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
We got a quote for $125 to do the muffler delete. I am having it done Thursday at lunch. I'll give feedback after the install.

We...is myself and Wingnut...mine is done and it sounds awesome!! Think of the 2002 Camaro with SLP set up...very close to that sound!

Paid $125 with stainless pipes...rewelded the original tips back on...very nice mod!

Was going to dyno before and after but their dyno was full and I couldn't get in to get a base line so didn't do either run. I'll get back up there to at least get a baseline on mine in the next week or so.
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #45
camarorick

Drives: .
Had it done this evening.... sounds pretty good until you let off the gas.. too much popping / crackling..... I find that the drone is just too much as well, the car has a hard time understanding the numbers being said when I try dialing on onstar..... I'm calling the shop tomorrow morning to schedule the re-installation of my mufflers ( IDK, maybe I'm getting too old for this $hit )
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:49 PM   #46
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
good to know Rick... think i'll stay with the GM cat back then
Old 06-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #47
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBing View Post
I got my mufflers dropped out today. The shop took the tips off the stock exhaust and welded them to the pipes. The sound is INCREDIBLE. There is NO DRONE on the highway, and that was my biggest concern. The popping comes when slowing and the rpm's drop to around 2.5k, and it is a breathtaking sound. With the windows up, the exhaust is barely noticeable, though you can still hear the popping. If you have the radio on, you'll hear no difference from stock. Windows down, it's a bit louder, but sounds great. It isn't too loud, so don't worry about that. It's the best $120 I have ever spent in my life. I only had 250 miles on mine by the way. I don't regret this for a second, and am extremely pleased with the results.
I love that pop as well, It does it with the factory exhaust at the same RPMS its just not as loud so you know you can expect it with the delete.I couldnt sleep last night knowing i was going to do mine after work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarorick View Post
Had it done this evening.... sounds pretty good until you let off the gas.. too much popping / crackling..... I find that the drone is just too much as well, the car has a hard time understanding the numbers being said when I try dialing on onstar..... I'm calling the shop tomorrow morning to schedule the re-installation of my mufflers ( IDK, maybe I'm getting too old for this $hit )

Backpressure is there with or with the mufflers and is just more noticeable without of course. maybe push the clutch in or put it in neutral when slowing ,j/k it would be crappy if you lose that cool bluetooth feature I guess im just gonna have to talk louder LOL.

D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #48
LDGn63

Drives: WNABEE
Quote:

please try it for a few days first and report back... even old dudes can live with noise for a few days!
i've ordered new tips and plan on having it done next week... sure would appreciate all the info i can get before i get it done!
that means that the mirror is 38.75% the size of the vertical windshield...
it sure seems like the ratio could be better... just sayin....

our collective MIRROR patch:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24612
LDGn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #49
camarorick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDGn63 View Post
please try it for a few days first and report back... even old dudes can live with noise for a few days!
i've ordered new tips and plan on having it done next week... sure would appreciate all the info i can get before i get it done!
Seriously, I drove around for 3 hours last night, and it's just not for me.... Developed a huge headache ( note: I had to drive with the windows shut the whole time, as it was raining here.... I did notice that the drone was not as apparent with the windows open ).

Don't let my comments change your mind !, it really does sound sweet when accelerating, and does seem to have more HP too !!

I think I'm just going to wait until I physically hear other setups before making another change..... Luckily the shop did not charge me much.... Lesson learned.

Oh, and by the way, I'm not that old, I'm only 42
Old 06-19-2009, 09:58 AM   #50
camarossrs2150

Drives: abm2ssrs
Quote:
onstar does that anyway just close your windows and speak clearly .there is no way you hear that sound inside with the windows closed i just got it done today and sounds good .like i said onstar is very tricky im going to try it right now ill get back to you with it .
Old 06-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #51
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Hopefully I get to see you tonight before you change them back. Love to hear them . Hope the weather holds up.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #52
LDGn63

Drives: WNABEE
Quote:
Seriously, I drove around for 3 hours last night, and it's just not for me.... Developed a huge headache ( note: I had to drive with the windows shut the whole time, as it was raining here.... I did notice that the drone was not as apparent with the windows open ).

Don't let my comments change your mind !, it really does sound sweet when accelerating, and does seem to have more HP too !!

I think I'm just going to wait until I physically hear other setups before making another change..... Luckily the shop did not charge me much.... Lesson learned.

thanks for the reply bro!

is stock form my car is quiter with the windows down.... cant even hardly hear the exhaust! yuck!
that means that the mirror is 38.75% the size of the vertical windshield...
it sure seems like the ratio could be better... just sayin....

our collective MIRROR patch:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24612
LDGn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:35 AM   #53
camarorick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRay View Post
Hopefully I get to see you tonight before you change them back. Love to hear them . Hope the weather holds up.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
Rick, I have an appointment at 1:00 this afternoon to return to stock....

It's supposed to clear up this afternoon.... Let me know where you want to meet
Old 06-20-2009, 04:12 AM   #54
2L8IWON

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS SIM
I'm very seriously planning on adding the AMR longtube headers with x-pipe and have analyzed the muffler options until I'm blue in the face.
This is an untouched area for some reason.... I'm looking for a mean and soothing sound at the same time instead of just a raspy sound. Something that says, hey, I've got a big hp engine. What do you think about Flowmaster Super 40's with this setup? How come no one is bringing these up? Old School sound? Restrictive? What's the deal?
2L8IWON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:23 AM   #55
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:

Any loud sound that is constant will do that to you. A drone in an airplane for example will also have the same affect and can permanently damage your hearing as time goes on. That is why pilots wear noise canceling headphones. Tinnitus in a mild form is something I live with so I wouldn't dare try anything that will make it worse. If I were to ever try something like this, I have to hear how loud it actually is by testing the decibel level and seeing if it is harmful.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #56
vsgls1

Drives: 07 GMC Sierra
Send a message via AIM to vsgls1
Waiting for someone to try this with headers.