Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 07-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #43
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Howdy All...

First, let's get the terminology straight...

A6 Gear Shift Positions and Functionality

"D" = Drive mode (normal, automatic up- and downshifting... "D" appears in lower corner of DIC)

"M" without touching either Tap-shift button = Sport mode (still automatic up- and downshifting, but with slightly more aggressive shift parameters... "S" appears in lower corner of DIC)

"M" + (either) Tap-Shift button = Manual (tap-shift) mode (Manual up-shifting and automatic downshifting by default. "M1"-"M6" appears in lower corner of DIC. SS models downshift automatically to M2. V6 models automatically downshift to M1. In both models, you always have the option to downshift manually).

Also, I posted the following info on a different thread and thought you might find it helpful as a summary

For everyone's info, the early 2010 models handle tap shifting differently than the later 2010 and 2011 models do. I'm not sure where the VIN cutoff its, but my 2010 SS (#44011) will NOT upshift while in manual (tapshift) mode--ever. It will just bounce off the rev limiter. In order to return to automatic shifting, I MUST move the gear shift back to the "D" position. Then I can leave it there, or move it back to the "M" position (Sport mode).

On these early 2010 models, you CANNOT hold the upshift button and go back to "S" mode with automatic shifting. I've tried mutliple times with mine. Doesn't work. I also tried it on a 2011...pushing and holding the right tap-shift button DOES shift out of tap-shift mode on that car.

So, clearly there are different implementations on later models. As for whether it is any fun...manual (tapshift) mode does downshift for you automatically...but at far too low an rpm. So, here's what I do...I downshift a lot earlier than the car does by itself. It's a blast to downshift right at about 2000-1500 rpm in each gear as you slow down and hear the throttle blip!

I never downshift below M2 in my SS. Plus, I can chirp 'em from second gear in tapshift mode, with traction control still on! By the way, starting (from a stop) in M2 virtually eliminates the need to tapshift while in a turn, because I can stay in M2 all the way through the turn.

More info I posted on a different thread

With the gear shift in the "M" position, you are in Sport mode (this is an AUTOMATIC shifting mode, which shifts a bit more aggressively than normal "D" mode). Once you depress either one of the tapshift buttons, you enter tapshift mode (also called "Manual" mode -- again, this is NOT "Sport" mode -- you are not in "Manual" mode until you press either tap-shift button).

After entering tap-shift/manual mode, you MUST manually tap the right button to move UP into the next higher gear, but the transmission will automatically shift DOWN from any gear when the RPMs drop low enough...you will be surprised at how low the car will let the RPMs drop before downshifting (usually close to 1000 rpm), but it WILL automatically downshift for you if you do nothing (the car will not stall out if you don't downshift yourself, like a stick shift car would).

While in tap-shift/manual mode,you do not have to wait for the car to automatically downshift--in fact, if you want power ON DEMAND, you must downshift sooner than that--I usually downshift when RPMs in any gear drop into the 2000-1500 RPM range (THIS SOUNDS REALLY COOL AND IS MY MAIN REASON FOR USING THE TAPSHIFT BUTTONS!).

When upshifting, I usually tap up to the next higher gear between 3000-6000 RPMs (you could nudge it right up to the red line if you really want to, but this is the range where I enjoy the feel and sound the most and feel like I'm not beating up on the car too much). When downshifting, as I mentioned above, I usually tap down right between 2000-1500 RPMs. This is really an individual thing...you won't hurt the car (I don't think you can, really), because there are built-in RPM limits to each gear which result in a "Shift Denied" message if you try to shift up or down outside of safe parameters for the engine/tranny.

Also, you can shift down multiple gears (e.g., from M6 to M4), by simply double-tapping the left button. I even triple-tap down from M6 to M3 sometimes, when I really need to get moving!

ONE WARNING: When you double- or triple-tap down, the RPMs will climb up into the power band, and when you hit the gas, brace yourself (and tell your passengers to do the same), as it will pop your head right back into the headrest! This is another reason to drive in tapshift/manual mode.

All of this is by design--don't be afraid to try it out--especially while your car is under warranty. If your car does not run reliably in tap-shift mode, now is the time to find out and get it fixed! This is one of the best reasons for having an L99 A6 car. It will take practice to become comfortable tap-shifting in any type of traffic, but you will get there--and trust me...IT'S A BLAST!

All you hesitant A6 owners, give it a try...it takes a little practice, but I find myself driving in tap-shift mode more and more often these days! My last two Camaros were manuals...to me, this is just as fun...just a little different. And you will need to practice to become proficient.

Have fun!

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #44
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam62 View Post
hahaha.. it only took me a month I thought the S was the car telling me to shift.. LOL. The owners manual sure isn't clear about that. It doesn't say anything about sport mode.
And that only happen on Saturdays and Sundays
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Doesn't anyone read their owner's manual anymore? It is all explained there.
Read what for what ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Of course not. I mean what's easier than opening and doing a minute of reading from a little book with everything you want to know about your car?
That will take all the good fun out !!
Taking photos, uploading photos, typing in an obvious question and waiting hours for a response that may or may not be clear, of course.
Mystery , suspense and laziness !!
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #45
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal2010yellow View Post
Normaly I drive in S mode in the city, i like my car to be reactive, and the shifting happens at a higher RPM's. When I'm on the road, I use D mode and the car is smoother and it saves gas.

But when I want to go sporty I use M mode and I change the gears when I wan't, the computor will no allow to over rev so there is no danger to break the engine and I personnaly like to be able to down-shift and use the compression to slow the car.

I'm now anxious to install my CAI and Solo Performance Mach X-LLT J-pipes exhaust, with M mode i'll be able to hear that beutifull sound, even if it's a V6.

Attachment 211959
That sound u speak of sounds beautiful with MRT V1. Im sure yours will be lovely too.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #46
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by seminolejon View Post
However the manual doesn't mention the phrase "sport mode". After re-reading it, it does explain it, but not very directly.

Either way, I'm glad I know about it now.
Agree! There is no mention of S showing in the DIC, or the HUD. It states, and I quote "While using the Tap Shift feature, the vehicle will have firmer, quicker shifting for increased performance. The driver may use this for sport driving or when climbing or descending hills, ..... "

Ok, so I get it, but to me that implies when in manual mode and using the tap shifters. Not that there is a "sport" mode.

Anyway..

So, someone mentioned here earlier that "sport" mode seemed to tighten up suspension and steering. Anyone know anything about that?
cam62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #47
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
All you hesitant A6 owners, give it a try...it takes a little practice, but I find myself driving in tap-shift mode more and more often these days! My last two Camaros were manuals...to me, this is just as fun...just a little different. And you will need to practice to become proficient.

Have fun!
cam62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #48
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
I have the LS3 and I always drive with everything off.

you just have be a little more extra careful tho cuz she like to go side ways at times.
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #49
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
And for the newbies, when using S mode and if accelerating and you have to slow for traffic you will notice the rpm's may stay up where they are and not come down. This is o.k. and designed that way. It does that so if you can resume speed, like going around a car or emergency accel, the rpms are up where you want them for power.
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #50
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
I think we need a class for people with Automatics. Ugh, Put your car in sport mode and go have some fun...
Old 07-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #51
seminolejon

Drives: 2011 2LS V6
just drove with the car shifted in M. However the display never said "S". It just stayed "M6". ??
seminolejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #52
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
just drove with the car shifted in M. However the display never said "S". It just stayed "M6". ??
It will say "S" the moment you put it on "M". Once you hit the taps, the display will show the gear you are in.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #53
seminolejon

Drives: 2011 2LS V6
The moment I put it in M, the display reads M6 without ever touching the taps.
seminolejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #54
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
That's odd! Anybody?
Old 07-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #55
SS11

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Quote:
Try holding the right tap for two seconds. The DIC should go back to S. On 2011 models if you tap in "D" before shifting into M mode she will hold and display the gear you were at in "D" mode.

Example; In D mode cruising down the hwy, right tap will temporarily put you in M6. Shifting into "S" mode will then keep it in M6.

If no tap before shifting into S mode, DIC should display "S".

Side note... Manual shifting in S mode temporarily disables AFM. You may have to downshift at least once, not sure on that though.
SS11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #56
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
I like the fact that, on my 2010 SS, I can't use the tap-shift buttons while in "D." It keeps me from accidentally going into Manual mode when I want the car to do the shifting for me.

Pretty sure I'd be happy with the 2011 setup though...I'd get used to it!

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote