Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-31-2008, 03:28 AM   #57
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
They show the production SS bumper in that video? I'm gonna go watch it again.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:51 AM   #58
jmliptak

Drives: D
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
After seeing the black SS from the Milford video, I'm definitely going for the SS bumper...hands down it's bad ASS!
Yeah, my last SS was black rather than red, and that car has me thinking that way as well, not only for the bumper but the color as well. I like the stealth of the all black package, will have to see. The question will be the price of the RS package, but I think I could be very happy without it if need be...But the badges on my last SS were red...Hmmmm...Hope we get to see a SS in other colors sometime soon (hint, hint, hint).....

jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:55 AM   #59
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Agreed. Some "coating" to save a few pennies is like saying "We recreated the hood scoop and side vents with a special printed vinyl applique' that is installed over the paint!"
...or like putting in the hood scoop and side vents without spending the money to hook them up to something?

Crap, I'm gonna get lynched for that one.

Come to think of it, they saved money by not cutting the side vents too...well, I do want the car to be in my price range!
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:20 PM   #60
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
They sparkle in the same way but they do not light up in the same way. In the afterburner look, the half moon is blacked out and the bottom surrounding it is lit up. This is not the way the production cars tail lights look when on.
i wonder if there is anyway to reproduce that in the dun dun dun...the aftermarket....
chevydude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:03 PM   #61
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
After seeing the black SS from the Milford video, I'm definitely going for the SS bumper...hands down it's bad ASS!
I was going to just say it looks like ASS.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:06 PM   #62
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
...or like putting in the hood scoop and side vents without spending the money to hook them up to something?

Crap, I'm gonna get lynched for that one.

Come to think of it, they saved money by not cutting the side vents too...well, I do want the car to be in my price range!
Someone said the side vents with holes in them hurt areodynamics and increased drag so I can kinda accept that. The nonfunctional hood scoop is a little "mustangy" for me. That could have made it a hole that passed air to the radiator and then used the extra cooling to reduce the crappyness of the lower grille by making it thicker and matching to the concept grille.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:20 PM   #63
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
That could have made it a hole that passed air to the radiator and then used the extra cooling to reduce the crappyness of the lower grille by making it thicker and matching to the concept grille.
The car has way more grille than any car on the road needs already. Take a look at a 2008 Corvette:

Can the Camaro SS possibly need more cooling than the Corvette? Most grilles on modern cars are far, far larger than necessary even for extreme conditions, and are entirely done for styling purposes. It does look great, though.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:28 PM   #64
chevydude26

Quote:
I was going to just say it looks like ASS.
we are literally in the minority when it comes to the ss grille...for some reason more people on here like the ss grille more...

i wonder what a more general poll not on a camaro site would vote for...
Old 07-31-2008, 08:40 PM   #65
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Methinks the problem (other than a handful blinded by love) is the nature of these polls. Just the wording can lead people to any conclusion.

This particular poll is NOT "who thinks the V6 bumper matches the car better" it's "Who's going to switch their crappy V8 bumper for a V6 one?"

There's going to be a FEW people who actually do what this poll says (30%). But then you ALSO have people who will not want to spend the cash to have the procedure done, so they will live with the ugly bumper. There's ALSO people who won't switch because they plan on getting an aftermarket grille or bumper piece. There's ALSO people who plan on buying a V6 and want to make sure their car is better looking so they will skew the poll.

The fact that 30% of the people who answered will be paying all that money to swap the bumpers out says VOLUMES about how poorly executed the design is.

Someone once argued with me about how cheap and easy it was for GM to make different bumpers (I was pointing out that having 2x the expense was a waste and was told making a second bumper was a mere pittance) so, if this is true I hope they start cranking out a list of optional bumpers we can check off on the options list!!!
Old 08-01-2008, 12:27 PM   #66
chevydude26

Quote:
Methinks the problem (other than a handful blinded by love) is the nature of these polls. Just the wording can lead people to any conclusion.

This particular poll is NOT "who thinks the V6 bumper matches the car better" it's "Who's going to switch their crappy V8 bumper for a V6 one?"

There's going to be a FEW people who actually do what this poll says (30%). But then you ALSO have people who will not want to spend the cash to have the procedure done, so they will live with the ugly bumper. There's ALSO people who won't switch because they plan on getting an aftermarket grille or bumper piece. There's ALSO people who plan on buying a V6 and want to make sure their car is better looking so they will skew the poll.

The fact that 30% of the people who answered will be paying all that money to swap the bumpers out says VOLUMES about how poorly executed the design is.

Someone once argued with me about how cheap and easy it was for GM to make different bumpers (I was pointing out that having 2x the expense was a waste and was told making a second bumper was a mere pittance) so, if this is true I hope they start cranking out a list of optional bumpers we can check off on the options list!!!
that would be great if we can just get the dealers to swap out the bumpers or order it differently...

but to me the ss bumper makes the camaro look less unique bloated and more common...

it just has no symmetry compared to the concept or v6 bumper
Old 08-01-2008, 09:33 PM   #67
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
it just has no symmetry compared to the concept or v6 bumper
Could you expand on this symmetry you keep referring to? If you split the grille down the middle, it looks the same on both sides, so I'm afraid I'm missing it....
Old 08-01-2008, 10:12 PM   #68
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

Drives: '92 Pathfinder A.K.A The BEAST
V6 for life.

sry I had to do that

AUGUST 2009 AURORA HITSS THE SSTREETSS!!!!!

~MY SSCHEME: BLACK W/GOLD BUMPER 2 BUMPER Z-28 SSTRIPESS.~
^In the wise words of Pink, "NO NOT MUSTANG GOLD"

Forget a automatic, a MUSCLE car needs STICK! To bad I'm getting auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lonely Island
IM RIDIN ON A DOLPHIN DOIN FLIPS N' SHIT!!!!

May The Beast Rest In Peace. For Now.
The_Beast_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:09 AM   #69
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Could you expand on this symmetry you keep referring to? If you split the grille down the middle, it looks the same on both sides, so I'm afraid I'm missing it....
Perhaps he means symmetric top to bottom and not side to side.

The SS nose is "bottom heavy" and a bit "busy" looking. Also, the flimsy looking grille doesn't match anything on the car.

1/3 of people responding said they hated it enough to swap it out. A very expensive proposition. That's amazing!
Old 08-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #70
chevydude26

Quote:
Perhaps he means symmetric top to bottom and not side to side.

The SS nose is "bottom heavy" and a bit "busy" looking. Also, the flimsy looking grille doesn't match anything on the car.

1/3 of people responding said they hated it enough to swap it out. A very expensive proposition. That's amazing!
thats exactly what i meant