Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #71
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflow View Post
Why should it have more then the CTS-V to begin with? Is GM going after itself or what? No need for more hp then the V, the car should end up weighing less and run faster times because of that and its not really your competition but if your worried that a 4dr V will run with your 2dr Maro, or not convinced thats enough to defeat the GT500. Then i can see why you want more hp.....
The V wasn't built to compete with the mustang. The Camaro is. I wouldn't be surprised if the V gets the same bump in hp for the 2012 model year either. If they can do it on the Camaro I see no reason they can't do it on the V for 20k more money.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #72
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I just gave the example of the 2010 Camaro SS not beating a 300 hp Mustang GT in everything as an example. what's your hunch based on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I simply disagree. That's not how they do things anymore: Either it's class-leading, or it doesn't exist.

The ZL1 will beat the GT500 in any measure...that's not a completely blind statement, and I'll stand by that until I'm proven wrong. (which, to my benefit -- we'll all have to wait for. )
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:50 PM   #73
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post
The V wasn't built to compete with the mustang. The Camaro is. I wouldn't be surprised if the V gets the same bump in hp for the 2012 model year either. If they can do it on the Camaro I see no reason they can't do it on the V for 20k more money.
Exactly.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #74
rez333

Quote:
The V was built to compete with the M3. The Mustang GT 5.0 was built to compete with the M3. There's a lot more inter-marrying than your simple statement suggests.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #75
rez333

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Quit putting down and deminishing what you don't know. All it's doing is causing strife. If you have docmentation to support your comments, please provide them.
Dude.. this entire forum has existed on speculation and rumors for what.. 2 years now? If you don't want to play, go away.

(not to be rude, but the alternative didn't rhyme with "play"!)
Old 02-16-2011, 11:33 PM   #76
porcupinekiller

Drives: 2010 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I simply disagree. That's not how they do things anymore: Either it's class-leading, or it doesn't exist.

The ZL1 will beat the GT500 in any measure...that's not a completely blind statement, and I'll stand by that until I'm proven wrong. (which, to my benefit -- we'll all have to wait for. )
You Gen5 Camaro guys are champion bench racers due to all the experience that you have from always waiting for them to be released.
You guys are always comparing "future" coming out one day Camaros to "current" out on the street and tracks Mustangs. You can't argue that one. Heh heh.
Seeing as the GT500 currently exists and the ZL1 is at least a year away your statement should read:
"The GT500 will beat the ZL1 in any measure...that's not a completely blind statement, and I'll stand by that until I'm proven wrong. (which, to my benefit -- we'll all have to wait for. )"
Sorry I couldn't resist.

Last edited by porcupinekiller; 02-16-2011 at 11:50 PM.
porcupinekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:11 AM   #77
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupinekiller View Post
You Gen5 Camaro guys are champion bench racers due to all the experience that you have from always waiting for them to be released.
You guys are always comparing "future" coming out one day Camaros to "current" out on the street and tracks Mustangs. You can't argue that one. Heh heh.
Seeing as the GT500 currently exists and the ZL1 is at least a year away your statement should read:
"The GT500 will beat the ZL1 in any measure...that's not a completely blind statement, and I'll stand by that until I'm proven wrong. (which, to my benefit -- we'll all have to wait for. )"
Sorry I couldn't resist.
Nobody is on top forever. Humble pie is the most served dish on both sides of the pony car wars.
2002 White Camaro Z28 A4
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:24 AM   #78
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupinekiller View Post
I think....no, I know I didn't bench race...I simply "keep the faith" that Chevy is serious about beating the competition...by how much? At what cost? How? Not sure...I didn't design the car...but they will.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:05 AM   #79
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
The V was built to compete with the M3. The Mustang GT 5.0 was built to compete with the M3. There's a lot more inter-marrying than your simple statement suggests.
While this may be true, The Cadillac engineers don't care what the mustang does directly. They care what the M3 does. If the GT500 comes out with 600hp do you think Cadillac would have tried to come up with 600hp. I promise you the BMW folks don't view the mustang as competition. They aren't worried about it.

Since the ZL1 and Cadillac share engines the Mustang will have an affect on the Cadillac going forward. That is the only reason though.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:17 AM   #80
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
Dude.. this entire forum has existed on speculation and rumors for what.. 2 years now? If you don't want to play, go away.

(not to be rude, but the alternative didn't rhyme with "play"!)
I think we have fair proxy examples we can point to. There are at least a couple cars I can think of that have proven there is a great chance ZL1 will perform better than what you believe. I can think of one car, that will remain nameless, that was mod'd by a Sponsor of our Community, and they pitted it against a new Mustang (given - it was a '10, but the enhancements would've pretty much been the same except for the Coyote, in which case it would've had a large power advantage, according to the Sponsor's implications) with that same companies best offerings. Both cars were equipped with the same size wheels and exact tires, and the SS eek'd out a slightly better time. There were deficiencies found on both cars but my point is CAMARO put the power down better, and turned better. You can search for the tests and results, but simply dismissing ZL1 I think is more premature than our alleged benchracing (not your quote - just a later one). While I know this proxy isn't exactly objective, both cars were pretty equal and it seems to me the chassis differences is what it came down to, and that's what I think the advantage is for CAMARO.

I don't rhyme well, so I won't try, lol.

Quote:
While this may be true, The Cadillac engineers don't care what the mustang does directly. They care what the M3 does. If the GT500 comes out with 600hp do you think Cadillac would have tried to come up with 600hp. I promise you the BMW folks don't view the mustang as competition. They aren't worried about it.

Since the ZL1 and Cadillac share engines the Mustang will have an affect on the Cadillac going forward. That is the only reason though.
M3 folks don't even care about CAMAROs. I went over there and read some posts, and that's exactly the attitiude. And, I thought the M3 was built to compete with the M5...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #81
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
I said before that Ford had to wait for GM to make a move before they moved their chess piece, but 23 hours ago Bill Ford Jr. confirmed an Ecoboost Mustang... The details on the exact engine were not given, but assuming that the SHO TT V6 (SVO Mustang) and the TT 5.0 already exist... It was only a matter of time I guess...

http://www.torquenews.com/106/ecoboo...d-bill-ford-jr

I hope to see this jump in the next model year so SVT can take their rightful place and get the credit they deserve...

UNLEASH THE TERMINATOR!!!

thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #82
91Z28350

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP 2010 Traverse LTZ
Very nice looking car! I see '69/70 fastback, 2nd gen Camaro and even a bit of Corvette styling in there.
91Z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #83
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Z28350 View Post
Very nice looking car! I see '69/70 fastback, 2nd gen Camaro and even a bit of Corvette styling in there.
It is a concept from Yasid Design, It is basically a GT500 with a new Front fascia, Rear diffuser, Saleen style deck lid and rear, Side exhaust and a blocked out rear quarter window... Nothing solid, but it looks like a SVT Cobra to me...

Edit: and it looks like the TT might sit on top of the intake like the Powerstroke... Hurray for less plumbing!!!!
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #84
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
I said before that Ford had to wait for GM to make a move before they moved their chess piece, but 23 hours ago Bill Ford Jr. confirmed an Ecoboost Mustang... The details on the exact engine were not given, but assuming that the SHO TT V6 (SVO Mustang) and the TT 5.0 already exist... It was only a matter of time I guess...

http://www.torquenews.com/106/ecoboo...d-bill-ford-jr

I hope to see this jump in the next model year so SVT can take their rightful place and get the credit they deserve...

UNLEASH THE TERMINATOR!!!

But you have to ask yourself "why?". A TT Ecoboost V6 will simply cost more and result in no more HP than the Coyote. Or you could put the Truck version in there and get more Torque than the Coyote at the expense of HP. Sure you could get better milage, but why would you pay more for an engine that gives you about the same performance?

And what TT 5.0 are you referring to? I didn't realize Ford had a twin turbo V8 in anything.