Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > Suspension / Chassis / Brakes

Old 07-31-2020, 06:39 PM   #1
Martin K

Drives: 2017 ZL1 & 2013 SS
Brembo brake upgrade question

Have a 2013 SS with factory 4 piston brembos and am upgrading to ZL1 6 piston. Does the caliper bracket have to be changed or does the 6 piston bolt on to my original? Thank you.
Martin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:11 PM   #2
gm2376

Drives: 2010 Black 2ss Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin K View Post
Have a 2013 SS with factory 4 piston brembos and am upgrading to ZL1 6 piston. Does the caliper bracket have to be changed or does the 6 piston bolt on to my original? Thank you.
bolts right on...you just need the caliper, new rotor, dust shield and brake lines
ZL1 10 spokes,Dart 388,ECS Supercharger 2200x, E85 Flex Fuel sensor, Dart 388 , B&M Tranny Cooler, Vigilante 4000 Triple Disc TC,Katech Ported Heads, Texas Speed Sheet Metal Intake, ECS Big Blower Cam,ID 1700s, Fore Triple Pumps, E85,ATI Super Dampner, KW V3 Coilovers, Pfadt front and rear sway bars,Pfadt Trailing arms and toe rods,ZL1 Rear Diff, RPM 6l90e level 10 Tranny, SW Long Tubes no cats,Nick Williams Boosted 102mm TB, Dr Phil Tune,Borla Atak
gm2376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:51 AM   #3
redrum_maro
Runs on caffeine

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
You can get away with cutting your dust shield for the front brakes. You will need to trim tiny little bits on the edges. Mock up the caliper and notice where it is hitting, I believe it is the top corner. Cut that edge with dremel or any metal cutting tool you may have. I did the conversion on my car a few months back, added DOT 5.1 fluid and braided stainless steel lines. If you have any questions feel free to PM me
redrum_maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:46 AM   #4
gm2376

Drives: 2010 Black 2ss Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum_maro View Post
You can get away with cutting your dust shield for the front brakes. You will need to trim tiny little bits on the edges. Mock up the caliper and notice where it is hitting, I believe it is the top corner. Cut that edge with dremel or any metal cutting tool you may have. I did the conversion on my car a few months back, added DOT 5.1 fluid and braided stainless steel lines. If you have any questions feel free to PM me
dust shield are like 15 a piece...why cheap out when you are making a 1-1.5k investment in a front brake kit?
ZL1 10 spokes,Dart 388,ECS Supercharger 2200x, E85 Flex Fuel sensor, Dart 388 , B&M Tranny Cooler, Vigilante 4000 Triple Disc TC,Katech Ported Heads, Texas Speed Sheet Metal Intake, ECS Big Blower Cam,ID 1700s, Fore Triple Pumps, E85,ATI Super Dampner, KW V3 Coilovers, Pfadt front and rear sway bars,Pfadt Trailing arms and toe rods,ZL1 Rear Diff, RPM 6l90e level 10 Tranny, SW Long Tubes no cats,Nick Williams Boosted 102mm TB, Dr Phil Tune,Borla Atak
gm2376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:47 PM   #5
Scooter18155

Drives: 2010 ss/rs 6 speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm2376 View Post
dust shield are like 15 a piece...why cheap out when you are making a 1-1.5k investment in a front brake kit?
I agree with this. Plus you have the ss dust shields to sell along with your ss brembo Kit to someone who wants them.
2010 camaro ss/rs, standard 6 speed, ls3 motor, bmr subframe connectors, jba 3” competition Exhaust, stainless works 1 7/8" headers, adm cold air intake, hurst short throw shifter, bo white ported tb, mishimoto aluminum radiator, mishimoto oil cooler.
Scooter18155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:27 PM   #6
Martin K

Drives: 2017 ZL1 & 2013 SS
Thank you! As soon as my ridetech coilovers arrive I am gonna do the swap. Again, thank you everyone for their input!!
Martin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:43 PM   #7
608RS

Drives: 2015 2ss
here's a very detailed thread on the 6 piston upgrade

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418667

you're gonna love them.

2015 Camaro 2ss, NicKey Performance built/tuned
608RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:00 PM   #8
redrum_maro
Runs on caffeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter18155 View Post
I agree with this. Plus you have the ss dust shields to sell along with your ss brembo Kit to someone who wants them.
I got away with selling my old brakes to a V6 owner and he didn't have to modify his front rotors which are the ones you're cutting from. The only ones that did require modification were the rear as he cut his rear dust shield. There has been threads on here before which they mention cutting as to avoid removing the e-brake and speed sensor mechanisms to remove the dust shield. There are also threads that teach how to properly do it but at the end of the day you choose the method that is best for you.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:19 PM   #9
Scooter18155

Quote:
I got away with selling my old brakes to a V6 owner and he didn't have to modify his front rotors which are the ones you're cutting from. The only ones that did require modification were the rear as he cut his rear dust shield. There has been threads on here before which they mention cutting as to avoid removing the e-brake and speed sensor mechanisms to remove the dust shield. There are also threads that teach how to properly do it but at the end of the day you choose the method that is best for you.
Can’t say I’ve converted the v6 brakes to the brembo so idk if the dust shields need to be cut or not. But going to the zl1 brakes converting to the zl1 dust shields for the $ they cost and save having to cut the ss ones I’d think it’s worth it.
2010 camaro ss/rs, standard 6 speed, ls3 motor, bmr subframe connectors, jba 3” competition Exhaust, stainless works 1 7/8" headers, adm cold air intake, hurst short throw shifter, bo white ported tb, mishimoto aluminum radiator, mishimoto oil cooler.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:23 PM   #10
redrum_maro
Runs on caffeine

Quote:
Can’t say I’ve converted the v6 brakes to the brembo so idk if the dust shields need to be cut or not. But going to the zl1 brakes converting to the zl1 dust shields for the $ they cost and save having to cut the ss ones I’d think it’s worth it.
It is definitely worth the extra few bucks if you are going to be running the ZL1 or Z28 brake ducts as the SS dust shield do cover the rotor from the inside making the brake ducts useless. Only a small little trim about an inch long on the upper edge is cut from the SS. On this post you can see that he cut the outer portion of the V6 dust shield to allow for the larger SS rear rotor.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:42 PM   #11
Scooter18155

Quote:
It is definitely worth the extra few bucks if you are going to be running the ZL1 or Z28 brake ducts as the SS dust shield do cover the rotor from the inside making the brake ducts useless. Only a small little trim about an inch long on the upper edge is cut from the SS. On this post you can see that he cut the outer portion of the V6 dust shield to allow for the larger SS rear rotor.
I would love to run the zl1 brake ducts. I however have the adm air scoop and haven’t done the research yet on how the ducts will work with that also.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:57 PM   #12
redrum_maro
Runs on caffeine

Quote:
I would love to run the zl1 brake ducts. I however have the adm air scoop and haven’t done the research yet on how the ducts will work with that also.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505806
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247289
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418879
These three posts should help a little when working with the ZL1 or Z28 brake ducts. On one it talks about fitting brake ducts on the earlier 5th gens, the other is how the ZL1 brake ducts work (same idea as Z28), and the other is improving the efficiency of the brake ducts. I do have a friend doing a ZL1 conversion on his boosted 1LE and we found that he cannot run the ZL1 brake ducts because of his intercooler tubing. Sometimes you have to compromise and find which one is most important to you and your build.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:17 PM   #13
Scooter18155

Quote:
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505806
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247289
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418879
These three posts should help a little when working with the ZL1 or Z28 brake ducts. On one it talks about fitting brake ducts on the earlier 5th gens, the other is how the ZL1 brake ducts work (same idea as Z28), and the other is improving the efficiency of the brake ducts. I do have a friend doing a ZL1 conversion on his boosted 1LE and we found that he cannot run the ZL1 brake ducts because of his intercooler tubing. Sometimes you have to compromise and find which one is most important to you and your build.
Yeah thanks for the info. I have the zl1 front bumper cover, belly pan and the zl1 brakes on my 2010 ss So if I found some brake ducts from a zl1 it shouldn’t be too complicated I guess. The only concern I have is the air scoop id rather not ditch that.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:22 PM   #14
redrum_maro
Runs on caffeine

Quote:
Yeah thanks for the info. I have the zl1 front bumper cover, belly pan and the zl1 brakes on my 2010 ss So if I found some brake ducts from a zl1 it shouldn’t be too complicated I guess. The only concern I have is the air scoop id rather not ditch that.
Would you like me to ask my friend if hell be selling them? He has a set of the brake ducts that came with his front bumper