Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #323
chuckie669

Drives: 2011 ss
I don't want to step on any toes, but an FYI I found amazon has some strong maf for <$31. Search ACDelco 213-4222 GM Original Equipment Mass Air Flow Sensor as that is the part number I was told is "Strong" for our cars.
Being unsure, I'll pick up the one sold by amazon for a little more $38 with free two day shipping and report back on Saturday.
chuckie669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #324
chuckie669

Drives: 2011 ss
New piece is a k20 unit in an ac delco bag. Idk if it makes a difference but will swap my "q" maf with this one tomorrow.
chuckie669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:14 PM   #325
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
I don't want to step on any toes, but an FYI I found amazon has some strong maf for <$31. Search ACDelco 213-4222 GM Original Equipment Mass Air Flow Sensor as that is the part number I was told is "Strong" for our cars.
Being unsure, I'll pick up the one sold by amazon for a little more $38 with free two day shipping and report back on Saturday.
Good find!
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #326
el Wulf

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
There is no such thing as an aftermarket performance MAF sensor. There are only shady companies that put their sticker on a factory MAF and lie about it.
That's not actually true & I'm surprised that you are giving out such misinformation. Granatelli Motor Sports purchases OEM MAF's & then recalibrates them for better performance. That's why you will see the Granatelli Motorsports 'sticker' & an engraved serial number on the MAF.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
el Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #327
nakedpants

Drives: LS3 + TR6060
First post states that GM used two different suppliers, one supplied the strong MAF, the other the weak one.

So who is the supplier of the strong MAF?

I know that Hitachi is one of the two suppliers. But I dont know if Hitachi makes the strong or the weak MAF's.

Someone has more info on this topic?

I recently had a Hitachi MAF in my hands but it had "14" on it?

Is this bad? According to the first post it is a weak MAF as the first character is a number and not a letter?

I also had a C6 Z06 MAF in my hands which only had a single letter on it.

So a single letter MAF should still be good for ~500hp then if GM decided to put those on the Z06?
nakedpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:52 PM   #328
chevyboy252

Drives: 2011 chevy camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
GM uses two supplier for Camaro SS MAF sensors. The simple explanation is that "weak" sensors from one of the suppliers are not showing the same resistance levels as the "strong" sensors from the other. Both work fine when the car remains stock but when additional airflow is introduced the "weak" sensor can start to become a problem.

The MAF sensors that have been identified as "weak" read 1560-1670HZ at idle with the A/C off while a "strong" MAF reads at 1800MHZ. During on road, light throttle input the MHZ are slow and weak in response to throttle changes which causes hesitation, throttle lag, and poor driveability. At wide open throttle the "weak" MAF shows 120-170MHZ lower than the 8600MHZ the "strong" MAF sensors will show on the same car. Depending on what intake modifications are made the fuel trim with a "weak" MAF can range from -25% on the high end to -3% with just a simple aftermarket panel replacement filter.

So what kind of performance issues will a "weak" MAF sensor present? Slow throttle response, low RPM bunking and surging, choppy idle, bogging when downshifting or applying quick heavy throttle inputs, and more. The good news is that all you have to do is pull the "weak" sensor and install a "strong" sensor and within seconds fuel trim is back to 0% and MHZ are back to 1800+. This will instantly change the personality of a car as was demonstrated in the threads below.

Issue SOLVED strong MAF

Strong MAF sensor. Believe the hype

How can I tell if my MAF is "weak" or "strong"?

It is very simple. Remove the MAF sensor from your intake tube and take a look at the code inside the indented window. Any single letter MAF is "weak" and any MAF that features a letter followed by a number like the one in the picture below is "strong".

Setting things straight

There are two points of confusion that seem to constantly come up when this topic is discussed:

1) This is a hardware issue with the MAF sensor and not a tune issue. The issue can not be corrected with a tune.

2) The "weak" sensors function just fine and are within OEM tolerances when the car remains in the stock configuration. Once additional air flow is introduced due to modifications is when problems arise. Because of that it is not something that GM will replace under warranty.
Can you dm me
chevyboy252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:47 AM   #329
Back In Time

Drives: ‘10 1SS RS aqua blue metallic.
Installed a CAI intake tonite. Checked the sensor and K 22, 👍. One for the home team! Thanks Chase for the great info
Old 07-10-2020, 04:45 PM   #330
jokrz187

Drives: 2015 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post

Thank you for this. I inadvertently bought another MAF using this and it did work out to getting a strong MAF. Turns out my old MAF was still good.
Custom TSP Stage 2 Cam/GPI intake Ported Rod Mod /VARARAM CAI/Mishimoto Catch Can/1 LE front & rear sway bars/ engine cover/fuse box custom painted, strut tower brace, Texas Speed LT, Hi Flo Cats, Magnum Tru-X pipe, NGK Spark Plugs, PCM Spark Plug Wire, Painted Calipers, CF Spoiler w/wicker bill.
jokrz187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:20 PM   #331
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In Time View Post
Installed a CAI intake tonite. Checked the sensor and K 22, 👍. One for the home team! Thanks Chase for the great info
I also have a K22. I didn't like it and out of curiosity I went to the garage at night to see what kind of sensor I have in CAI.
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:22 PM   #332
2011SS2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS w/2SS
I know this is an old thread, but I am hoping some one sees this & replies... I have a STRANGE marking in my "Window"... It does not even appear to be any letter. If any letters can be thought to be there it would be a T stamped on top of a W... I will attempt to attach a pic. I've not done so before so I hope it works out.

2011SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:27 PM   #333
2011SS2SS

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/pictu...ctureid=165788

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/pictu...ctureid=165786

OK so I couldn't exactly figure out how to post an actual pic... But I did get it to let me post links that show the pics... I am super curious if anyone has any idea what the deal is with this MAF sensor...

I am guessing it is weak... But hard to tell. There seems to be a symbol instead of any actual letters in the "Window"... If there are letters, it appears to be a "T" stamped on top of a "W" IMO...

Any thoughts?????

Last edited by 2011SS2SS; 07-20-2020 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Added pics
Old 07-21-2020, 08:12 AM   #334
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Maybe an "M" with the bar to indicate not a "W"?
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:21 PM   #335
2011SS2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Maybe an "M" with the bar to indicate not a "W"?
I appreciate it... It's wild looking anyway it goes. I ordered a new one & should be here tomorrow.

May be a waste of money, but I ordered the Granatelli w/Cold Air Intake Tuning. I will see if it actually does make a difference. My brother has a 2010 with a strong sensor. We are going to see what it does with his to see if there is any "Feel-able" difference. I doubt it, but curiosity rules my head... LOL.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:32 PM   #336
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011SS2SS View Post
I appreciate it... It's wild looking anyway it goes. I ordered a new one & should be here tomorrow.

May be a waste of money, but I ordered the Granatelli w/Cold Air Intake Tuning. I will see if it actually does make a difference. My brother has a 2010 with a strong sensor. We are going to see what it does with his to see if there is any "Feel-able" difference. I doubt it, but curiosity rules my head... LOL.
Dude no , dont use that "modded"sensor. Send it back and get ac delco

Tags
apex, bucking, maf, surging, weak