Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
2xtrbo

Drives: BMW 335 Cabrio
A Better Way To Do The Camaro Gauges

I saw that the Nissan GT-R has all the gauges the 2010 Camaro has, but they are on a video screen. You can customize what function you want to view too.

But with the Camaro gauge pod you are stuck with the gauges they put there. They should replace all those antique looking gauges with a LED video screen and let you see which gauges and in what order you want on the screen.

(Edit: I should say the Camaro is designed by 90 year olds because it was designed in 1969 and this is just a refresh.)
Attached Images

Last edited by 2xtrbo; 04-25-2008 at 07:10 AM.
2xtrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
welcome to the site...The GTR is also a 80,000 dollar car, while your idea is really cool, it might not be very cheap to add to the car... just a thought..maybe on a higher end model of the car, i don't know..
Old 04-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
Sphinx002

Drives: .

Last edited by Sphinx002; 06-06-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Sphinx002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
Chocolate Apocalypse
Full Fledged Member

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Uh, yeah, how much is the GT-R?

Doh, beaten to it! lol

Last edited by Chocolate Apocalypse; 04-22-2008 at 02:57 PM. Reason: add stuff
Chocolate Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
A "bunch of 50 year-olds" did not design the interior. Do you know who Micah Jones is? No? He's got to be in his twenties, and his design is shown in both the Concept and the Coupe.

Past is a personal perspective. Since I wasn't around to witness the 69's...this design seems thouroughly new to me.

It's all just a matter of opinion. Just don't make the mistake of believing that any one opinion is ever the right way to do things. Personally - I think that GTR looks fugly, inside and out. Nothing flows, especially that interior: MUCH to 'busy', and crude.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I have to agree with Dragon. This isn't just some retro car. Yes it has retro touches, but things like the torque gauge are all new. And no, its not being designed by old farts. As Dragon said, a number of young and very talented people worked on this. Not a smart move, making such a baseless critical remark as a first post.

I do think the idea of a gauge screen is very cool, but in reality I'd rather go with the lower cost and higher reliability of tried and true physical gauges. Sure the GT-R is a great car with a lot going for it, but it also costs at least twice as much as the Camaro will. Apples to oranges.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
+2 for the last five posts. If I want to play on a video game screen, I have my PS3 and my 47" TV.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
I’ve seen hints that the ’09 Cobalt SS will have a smaller (PDA sized) version of this on the A pillar and the Cobalt SS should be priced pretty close to a V6Camaro.

If a car already has a nav screen (or non-nav screen like the G8) then the additional cost to add this functionality has to be pretty small once the programming has been done.

The biggest problem I see is that is a neat gadget that the Corvette doesn’t have.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #9
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
I also think it is a neat use of the screen for times when you are not using nav, the stereo or the heat/AC.

I’ve got a co-worker with an 08 Jag and the screen seems pretty worthless around town (going out to lunch). You know where you are going and you’ve already set the climate control, so it is usually just showing a Jaguar logo on a green background and little HVAC or audio info on the edges.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #10
2xtrbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
I’ve seen hints that the ’09 Cobalt SS will have a smaller (PDA sized) version of this on the A pillar and the Cobalt SS should be priced pretty close to a V6Camaro.

If a car already has a nav screen (or non-nav screen like the G8) then the additional cost to add this functionality has to be pretty small once the programming has been done.

The biggest problem I see is that is a neat gadget that the Corvette doesn’t have.
You are right Grape. If the car will have a NAV screen, and I am sure it will, the functionality of the gauges could be added at NO cost.

The measurements of the gauge functions are already being taken and sent to the car's ECU. THey could simply be displayed on a NAV screen that is ALREADY in the car, with very little added cost.

For those that order without NAV, they could opt out of it.

I do think that some smart entrepreneurs will come up with something aftermarket to replace the antique gauges.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Pass on the GTR interior... that alone would make me not buy it..
Old 04-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #12
2xtrbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
INot a smart move, making such a baseless critical remark as a first post..
It is not baseless. I simply looked at the design and it is so "quirky" kind of like a Saab used to be that I thought it looked like a grandpa design. So I guess I assumed too much.

Secondly, Though I respect other people, I don't take a popularity poll before I say something.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #13
ralniv

Drives: far too much
The antique looking gauges are in the concept car and will not likely find their way into production models. The production interior will be modern with some design cues taken from Camaros of the past.

I would love to see additional data displayed in the nav screen, but I don't want to pay much to see it. It's not a simple matter of running a few wires and adding a few lines of code. A car is a complex integration of multiple subsystems and the maker (GM) needs to ensure that any changes do not impact other subsystems or vehicle reliability. There are a myriad of potential complicating issues to adding this seemingly simple feature (e.g. the OEM nav does not support additional inputs).
ralniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:55 PM   #14
BumbleBee
Yes, I am a girl

Drives: 2006 Pontiac Vibe
I don't know about you, but I prefer the driver's side on the left side of the vehicle...

Welcome fellow Floridan!

...second to none
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote