Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-02-2007, 05:08 PM   #43
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I've got to be honest with myself. There's just no reasonable way for me to afford a V8 plus gas plus insurance as a 23-24-year-old buyer. Plus, with all my city driving, never owning a RWD car, and not having had a car over 200 hp, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me to roll around in a 400 hp deathtrap. I'll be getting the performance V6, likely the RS. I'll go aftermarket for additional speed after I get used to the power. I bet I'm one of the few on this site okay with a V6.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:28 PM   #44
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
I've got to be honest with myself. There's just no reasonable way for me to afford a V8 plus gas plus insurance as a 23-24-year-old buyer. Plus, with all my city driving, never owning a RWD car, and not having had a car over 200 hp, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me to roll around in a 400 hp deathtrap. I'll be getting the performance V6, likely the RS. I'll go aftermarket for additional speed after I get used to the power. I bet I'm one of the few on this site okay with a V6.
One of the most mature young folks I have seen post in a LONG time. Good for you sir in knowing and acknowledging your limitations and the reasons for them. Personally if I was still in my early 20s I would (and did) do the same thing. I'm now closing on 30 myself and my insurance and career/money are going to allow me a V8, luckily I have some experience with RWD and 200+ HP in my parents vehicles back in the late 90's and know what to expect.

Again bravo and if we had more youngins like you insurance rates wouldn't be what they are.

Edit-PS don't feel left out on the V6 thing. If circumstances where different for me(or do fall out) and I can't get a V8, I will just get a V6. V6 isn't necessarily bad, but as mostly enthusiasts the members here are after the HP and performance max.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #45
Justin
Camaro5's Cell Phone Geek

Drives: '02 V6 Camaro. 5 speed manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatter99 View Post
As a current V6 owner (as a young male college student, its sorta tough to afford V8 insurance) I'll definitely be buying the V8. Regardless of how quick the V6 may be, it will always lack that sound, feel, and spirit that defines a true American muscle car.
Exactly. I bought the V6 because whatever car I bought I had to use to commute, and gas mileage was a must, and I couldn't afford the insurance on the V8, but I WILL have a V8 5th gen, and it will have SS on it. I don't care if it takes me five years. I WILL have one.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:12 AM   #46
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
PS don't feel left out on the V6 thing. If circumstances where different for me(or do fall out) and I can't get a V8, I will just get a V6. V6 isn't necessarily bad, but as mostly enthusiasts the members here are after the HP and performance max.
Actually, you can't convince me a 250+ hp V6 is a bad thing, no matter what you tell me. It's definitely lighter muscle—still muscle though—and when I'm done with it, I'm sure I'll have some monstrous plans of swapping a big V8 or making that V6 something a little more powerful. Either way, I plan on making the most of my Camaro investment. Coming from a 4-banger history, I look forward to driving something with more class and power.

PS—I appreciate your props a lot! Not many people are eager to give respect, and that's something that means a great deal.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:52 AM   #47
Al Robinson
RACKM

Drives: 2001 Mazda MilleniaS
To answer the question a few posts ago, a DI engine does not make any additional sound. I rented a Audi A3 3.2 DI diesel while on a business trip to Italy. The car was very fast and quiet. The only main difference in the DI engine is the pressure the fuel injectors operate at. REALLY HIGH PRESSURE!
Al Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:05 PM   #48
Justcallme61

Drives: 2000 honda accord v6
if the v8 with DI and VVT and all that goes into the camaro, does that mean that it could get better mileage than the v6....?
Justcallme61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:35 PM   #49
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justcallme61 View Post
if the v8 with DI and VVT and all that goes into the camaro, does that mean that it could get better mileage than the v6....?
yup. fewer cylinders doesn't always make for better mileage. a V6 Grand am makes 1 mpg better than the I4 Grand Am. and advanced V8 compared to a standard V6 will likely get a similar result
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #50
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
v6 isnt in my vocabulary. i had a 99 v6 and it was a turd for power. granted the new ones are goign to have more power but its still a heavy car. ill take the top of the line v8 please!
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #51
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justcallme61 View Post
It can, but remember that the biggest factor will probably be the use of cylinder deactivation which is rumored to be a feature in the Camaro. Cylinder deactivation only works when cruising, so mileage is heavily based upon how often the driver accelerates. Fast acceleration in a V8 is going to be more gas-guzzling than a V6 regardless of what features either engine has. In other words, how you drive determines whether you will have good gas mileage or not.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:25 PM   #52
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
It can, but remember that the biggest factor will probably be the use of cylinder deactivation which is rumored to be a feature in the Camaro. Cylinder deactivation only works when cruising, so mileage is heavily based upon how often the driver accelerates. Fast acceleration in a V8 is going to be more gas-guzzling than a V6 regardless of what features either engine has. In other words, how you drive determines whether you will have good gas mileage or not.
I do believe, though...that DI combined with VVT is an even more powerful fuel-saving tool than AFM alone - not to it's discredit. and though this is slightly off-topic, that's what makes the DI V8 so exciting, b/c it will be designed with all three systems!
Old 12-05-2007, 03:51 AM   #53
Good53X

Drives: 1988Nissan Pulsar (meh,beater)
Amen.
Good53X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #54
Namrepus28

Drives: 1996 Camaro 3.8L V6
I'd have to say a 300hp V6 would be a very interesting idea indeed. There's a large V6 following that usually doesn't get much notice due to the marvel that was the LS1...

V6s can be a lot of fun. Fact is, daily driving, you don't need a V8. Of course, I want one same as anyone else...but tossing a Camaro around with a V6 in it (at least with the 3.8L rated at 200hp) is plenty of fun, I can attest to that.

Anyway, a direct injection V6 would be a very cool idea I think. I also think ti would garner quite a large following very very quickly.
Namrepus28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:14 PM   #55
jmsjags

Drives: '02 Mustang GT
Nothing compares to the sound of a v8. If they offered a v6 with 350 hp and a v8 with 300 I'd still take the v8.
jmsjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:43 AM   #56
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsjags View Post
Nothing compares to the sound of a v8. If they offered a v6 with 350 hp and a v8 with 300 I'd still take the v8.
I completely agree with you about the sound, but I would take the power. Imagine pulling up next to a Mustang GT with your 350hp V6 and beating the piss out of it.