Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Underhood Odor

Well I finally made the service appointment for next week to get the coolant system flushed out and the hoses changed. (Per Bulletin # PIP4988) See attached file. My car has been stinking up my garage since new. In the hot summer time it really gets stinking. I have read of other people with this problem. One member actually got a new car because of it. I do not smell it in the car, but when I park the car in the garage after a drive, it smells up the garage with a foul odor. Really stinks in the hot weather. Dealership said they will take care of it, under warranty. Here's a couple threads on the subject.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236284
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222344
Attached Images
File Type: pdf PIP4988.pdf (78.2 KB, 140 views)
Old 12-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
kfm237

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Yeah, I'm the guy who got a buy back... Good Luck with the fix & if you have any questions, feel free to pm me..
kfm237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfm237 View Post
Yeah, I'm the guy who got a buy back... Good Luck with the fix & if you have any questions, feel free to pm me..
OK Thanks kfm237
Old 12-16-2012, 04:37 AM   #4
Wooden Heart

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
Is it a dead animal smell or something mechanical smell? I'm sure you're referring to a mechanical smell, but I remember someone recently doing a write up about a bird that flew into his grill, made it through the facia, and ended up impaling itself on the AC.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooden Heart View Post
Is it a dead animal smell or something mechanical smell? I'm sure you're referring to a mechanical smell, but I remember someone recently doing a write up about a bird that flew into his grill, made it through the facia, and ended up impaling itself on the AC.
It's kind of a rotten, dead animal, dirty socks, cheap rubber, antifreeze smell all wraped up in one smell. I noticed this odor back when my car was a couple months old. In the hot summer the smell is the strongest. If I put my nose down close to the coolant recovery bottle cap. I can definitely pin point that this is source of where it's coming from. If I take the cap off of the tank (this is the coolant dip stick cap). The smell in there is just rotten. It does not smell like the regular coolant smell that we all know. Anyways, I showed my dealership a copy of the bulletin #PIP4988, they said, "no problem". They will take care of it.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Got er done

Just got the car back from the dealership. They did the whole 9 yards as far as doing the TSB PIP4988. Its really kind of a long drawn out process. When I take the cap off of the recovery tank and stick my nose down there, it now smells like it is suppose to. No more rotten smell. Kind of funny, I was just out in the garage admiring my new hoses. It's nice to have a new camaro in the garage that does not stink. I am glad and happy I had this done.