Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
CAFE 75 mpg in 2030

Long time, no doubt, but still very relevant..

Quote:

Automakers could face 75 mpg CAFE regulations by 2030s

April16

Carmakers just had to swallow a pretty big pill in the form of 35 mpg fleet average by 2020, but it appears as though that was just a taste of what is in store for the auto industry. It was revealed at this weeks SAE Congress in Detroit that automakers will likely face a 75 mpg standard by the 2030s.

According to Margo Oge, director of the Environmental Protection Agency's Office of Transportation and Air Quality, automakers will need to hit 75 mpg by the 2030s in order to keep on pace with a widely-backed goal to reduces greenhouse emissions by 50 to 80 percent by 2050 from 2000 levels.

Oge cautioned automakers that they need to plan beyond the current regulations as CAFE standards will continue to rise. "Political, economic and regulatory landscape in the United States and globally has changed dramatically over the past year," Oge told The Detroit News. "The reality is the pace of change will not be letting up anytime soon."
http://www.leftlanenews.com/automake...-by-2030s.html
Old 04-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
These people are absolutely nuts. /nuff said.
75....Jesus....
Old 04-16-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
These people are absolutely nuts. /nuff said.
Shouldn't the people have a say since they're the ones paying for the expense and the ones driving the cars??? This is ridiculous to the fullest.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:49 PM   #4
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
75MPG by 2030...good luck with that...
Old 04-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Not possible by todays physics and current car size/weights. To get that high MPG you will need to shed more than 60% of today's car weights.

again the sky is falling, In 5-10 years cafe will be repealed because the idiots pushing human caused global warming will be shown as frauds.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post

again the sky is falling, In 5-10 years cafe will be repealed because the idiots pushing human caused global warming will be shown as frauds.

The sky will continue to fall in a fear based/driven society propelled by media.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
These regulations will not stand up forever. Remember what year it is now. Laws and regulations change. Don't even worry about it.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

By that point I believe we will have drastically reduced our petroleum consumption to a point where we won't need to worry about getting off foreign oil like we are now.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #9
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
By that point I believe we will have drastically reduced our petroleum consumption to a point where we won't need to worry about getting off foreign oil like we are now.
Or we'll have some form of artificial petrol that we could use alternatively. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see gas mileage double by then, but don't expect those standards to stick in 10 years.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I am generally in favour of enviro stuff. I like the concept of a hybrid Camaro. I want to see cellulose ethanol. I want a hydrogen economy to happen at some point. However, I must issue a Rant Warning

This law makes perfect sense. The automakers say it will be hard to meet a 25% increase in 12 years. SOO, after they meet that requirement make them do a 115% increase in 10 years right after that. Doing something impossible should be easy after doing something hard. Kinda like how it would be easy to swim accross the atlantic ocean right after you swam down the entire Mississippi. Wonder these people have taken into account the fact that car sales will drop dramatically and people will just keep driving their older cars. Fixing and fueling them would be cheaper than getting a brand new ultra efficient car.

Today, even the most fuel efficient cars on the market here cannot match that 75 mpg average. So if the best can't do it, it is not possible for average vehicles to do it. Let alone the worst. For example, you can't make a family hauler get 50 mpg. With enough technical innovation it may eventually be possible for it to reach 40 highway. The only way that things could be legit in that article is if there is some way to incorporate hydrogen and electric cars into the mix. Even ethanol wouldn't be enough.

I think that this entire article is BS. Some politicians are stupid, but not enough are that stupid. Cars and trucks account for something like 10-20% of CO2 emissions. Why pick on the little guy? Its much easier to elimanate 100% of the CO2 produced by power plants than to reduce CO2 from internal combustion engines by 50%. AND it would be more effective. But no, someone decided that picking on Detroit and helping Japanesse automakers was good. Give Toyota and Honda tax breaks to build factories here. Allow 1 way trading. Let GM and Ford shut down their factories. Don't force the Japanesse to import our cars. Impose fuel economy laws which favour import auto makers. Its all a big crock and its been building for 20 years. This is just the latest incarnation.

rant is over now.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:07 PM   #11
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
These people are so selfish. Instead of solving the problem themselves, they are putting the burden and blame on automakers. I thought 35 was bad.
They have probably put zero research behind it to find out if this is even remotely possible, which im sure its not. Ridiculous

I actually wrote a paper for class on the 35 mpg CAFE regulations, if i can find it ill post it up here.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:21 PM   #12
CaptianSam
Car Garage

Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
75 is impossible... and stupid... usa makes so much tax money on gas... there killing themselves and cafe is a bunch of 90 year olds going to die

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:22 PM   #13
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON

Drives: 2005 Saab 9-5 2.3T
Send a message via AIM to Camaro Lives On
H3LL NO!!! Plain and simple!!!