Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
chris0834
CAPTIAN CAMARO

Drives: Camaro 2SS RS
Magnaflow x-pipe ?

Hi. I am looking to buy a magnaflow xpipe very soon but I wanted to know what the difference between a resonated xpipe and the regular xpipe is. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
My Magnaflow X pipe started leaking not even after a month! But magnaflow covered it under warranty.

I love My Magnaflow 3" Its not loud at Idle but at WOT it has a nice deep rumble

Here's a pic of the leak.

GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
chris0834
CAPTIAN CAMARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEo View Post
My Magnaflow X pipe started leaking not even after a month! But magnaflow covered it under warranty.

I love My Magnaflow 3"Its not loud at Idle but at WOT it has a nice deep rumble

Here's a pic of the leak.

Wow that sucks, good to hear it was covered . Which one do you have the ? Resonated or normal. Do u know the differents ?
Old 02-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
The Cat Back's for the LS3 doesn't come with Resonators If I'm not mistaken.

The Resonators are for L99's so It doesn't drone when the AFM kicks in. not a 100% on this tho.

I have the 16483 3" Competition

If your planning to do headers I totally recommend this cat back. But if you want a LOUD exhaust this is not the one your looking for. Corsa and the Borla ATAK are the ones on the LOUD side.
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
chris0834
CAPTIAN CAMARO

Ok cool thanks for the info . Now I just need to find out if I have a ls3 or l99? lol
Old 02-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
ZooDad

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Manual Transmission = LS3
Automatic Transmission = L99

ZooDad
ZooDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0834 View Post
Ok cool thanks for the info . Now I just need to find out if I have a ls3 or l99? lol
Auto Trans = L99
Manual Trans = LS3

Both have resonators but the L99 has a huge one. The LS3 has 2 smaller ones.

The Magnaflow Tru-X will be louder but not by a whole bunch. Probably enough to make it a little louder though.

The resonated x-pipe acts somewhat like a muffler and tones it down some.

I went with the resonated x-pipe mostly because that is what Magnaflow used with their 2.5" Comp cat-back. What I used was the exact parts they used. Also, by having the resonated x you'll still have kind of a muffler. With the Tru-X you won't. Not that it matters a ton.

I would say if you want it on the slightly louder side go Tru-X, otherwise go witht he resonated one.

Also, when you have the muffler shop put on the X-pipe (either one) make sure they put it as far forward as they can. In my research that's where I was told that it was supposed to be to help the most in scavenging the exhaust.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
chris0834
CAPTIAN CAMARO

Oh ok. Lol .Ls3 it is
Old 02-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
chris0834
CAPTIAN CAMARO

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Auto Trans = L99
Manual Trans = LS3

Both have resonators but the L99 has a huge one. The LS3 has 2 smaller ones.

The Magnaflow Tru-X will be louder but not by a whole bunch. Probably enough to make it a little louder though.

The resonated x-pipe acts somewhat like a muffler and tones it down some.

I went with the resonated x-pipe mostly because that is what Magnaflow used with their 2.5" Comp cat-back. What I used was the exact parts they used. Also, by having the resonated x you'll still have kind of a muffler. With the Tru-X you won't. Not that it matters a ton.

I would say if you want it on the slightly louder side go Tru-X, otherwise go witht he resonated one.

Also, when you have the muffler shop put on the X-pipe (either one) make sure they put it as far forward as they can. In my research that's where I was told that it was supposed to be to help the most in scavenging the exhaust.
Ok thanks that put it all in perspective. I think I'm going to go with the resonated one because your car sounds awesome in the video you put.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #10
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0834 View Post
Ok thanks that put it all in perspective. I think I'm going to go with the resonated one because your car sounds awesome in the video you put.
For the money it's a great mod. Just go through my thread a couple times to make sure you understand what's done.

Find a decent muffler shop around you and make sure they use a sawsall to cut the mufflers and resonators out. No torch!

Have the x-pipe installed as far forward as you can get them.

I liked the finished product when the tips were pretty much flush with the rear of the car. The factory tips are the same way. Some people will tell you to push the tips out a little farther to avoid melting the plastic but with the double walled tips that was never an issue and still isn't on my 3" exhaust. Just make sure they don't touch the rear valance and you should be good.

Another thing I did was take some High Temp Aluminum colored paint and sprayed the pipes since you could kind of see the welds from behind the car. Not a must but does make it look good.

I actually don't have the setup anymore but that's only because I got a package deal on a set of headers, 3" magnaflow cat-back, and tune. It was a good enough deal that I couldn't turn it down. I ended up selling and installing the system on a 2LT Camaro. I did have the setup for about 9mths with no issues at all.

If you have any questions just ask.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 10-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
SandmanSS

Drives: 87 IrocZ-2010 SS/RS
caverman, where is your thread which details your mod? I'm about to pull the trigger on a magnaflow too and want to learn more!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #12
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanSS View Post
caverman, where is your thread which details your mod? I'm about to pull the trigger on a magnaflow too and want to learn more!
Sorry I forgot to come post this. Might be too late and you might have pulled the trigger already but here it is anyway.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64964
Build Journal
Old 10-19-2012, 12:02 AM   #13
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
My Magnaflow 3" catback is straight pipe, yeah she's loud. It's the Tru X pipe, so no resonators. Really happy with it, but I wanted ungodly loud (don't like my neighbors)

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #14
SandmanSS

Drives: 87 IrocZ-2010 SS/RS
Ok, had my muffler delete done this morning. Dropped it off at 9, picked it up at lunch and LOVE it! They put in a Magnaflo X Pipe after removing the factory mufflers and resonators as outlined by Caverman above. It's got a nicefull sound and really makes noise at 2500 rpms and above. I wanted loud like-people notice loud, but not loud like-what the heck is that thing?!?! loud. no offense to others...who have big loud exhaust systems. I like those too; just don't have the cahonies to drive one...