Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-24-2009, 11:08 PM   #575
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro Lt Vin #1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy View Post
I am buying a couple to put away
hey man let me borrow some money..lol..or buy me a motor for christmas..lol...how much does one run anyway???
Mohrg Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:12 PM   #576
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Ahhhh *sigh*...back to the happy thread.

So, I read up a lot on the LSA...if it gets put into the Z28 as-is...we're in for a treat. It's MUCH more than a simple factory-supercharged LS3 like some think of it. For instance, does 270 consecutive hours of wide-open-throttle testing without failure mean anything to you?

Tomorrow, I'll try and pop up the entire 8-page writeup.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:48 AM   #577
taqwache
LSX tech

Drives: 1969 Hugger Orange SS
I cant wait to see one of these in person.
taqwache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:44 AM   #578
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
But the question begs to be answered........the LS7 in the Z06 is a world beater.........why kill it

My thought is keep the boys at Wixom hand building stuff if there is a demand.

Ask a true driver what he'd rather take around Laguna Seca for long periods of time.........Z06 or an LS9 "brute"

Camaro has to go on a diet and get some handles to have any more horsepower than it already does anyway. But I am a big LS7 fan. I am buying a couple to put away
There just isn't enough money to do it anymore.

and why would GM want to waste money on that when they have to amazing S/C engines. Trust me the LSA is a very impressive engine.

and GM still has the LS3 to build off of. Which is nothing to laugh at.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:46 AM   #579
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro Lt Vin #1974
this is a question and not a smart ass reply, im saying this cause PC talk always comes off as a smart ass remark when its actually not. so with that being said, How can they not afford to make it when they just charge the cunsumer the extra money it took to produce the car..that way they just pretty much pay for their own engine, and GM dont have to pay a penny...so if they did make a Z28 with that engine they would just add the extra few thousand dollars to the final price..its not like it wont sell or anything. but GM isnt gonna put that engine in and only charge them for the other one right??? cause then i could see them saying they didnt have enough money to produce the car with that particular engine...but can anyone tell me how much one of those engines run??? im just curious and i think it would be cool to just buy the engine and just put it in the car you have if you want it..and ONE more thing..my tahoe had active fuel management where it switched from V8 to V4 if you were driving at a constant speed on a flat area..i read the SS had that system, is that correct??? i havent really read much into the V8s. but i loved my tahoes engine, and everyone said that there was no way it got that much MPG cause of the v8..but it blew away my old 96 blazers 4.3 mpg..i miss my tahoe..it transformed into a 2010 V6 camaro. wonder if a small block V8 from a 2004 HD Silverado 2500 would fit in it..LOL.
Mohrg Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:47 AM   #580
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Proud to say I am now completely confident this will happen
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:10 AM   #581
sgilson

Drives: Civic Hybrid, Dakota, ZRX1200R
Forgive me for my ignorance, but am I correct that the LS7 motor is a 427? If so that would be such a HOT offering. I'd love to see a Camaro with 427 on the fender. Someone had suggested in this thread that they offer that motor in the "Black Edition". That is a great idea! Mustangs have so many special and limited editions that fetch huge sums of money that it seems only fitting the Camaro do the same.
sgilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:46 AM   #582
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I'd love to see the both actually, like the Vette. A NA 427 and the LS9!. The thing about the pricing, GM can make more HP for less money with the LS9. The less expensive it is the to the buying public the better it will sell.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #583
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
I think GM knows that not every enthusiast is head over heels about SuperChargers and Turbos...some of us like N/A engines
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:57 AM   #584
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
While I'm not totally committed to the exact opinion, I have to agree on a lot of it. When I'm in a OEM-stock car, I just don't worry about something breaking, where in a car with aftermarket parts, I sometimes wonder how long things will last. This is coming from someone who's spend several months pay checks on parts for both my past Z28s, so I'm not against aftermarket parts at all. I just think that the engineering behind the majority of aftermarket parts just doesn't compare to the support behind OEM parts - even moreso now that many manufacturers go to extremes like testing at tracks like the 'Ring and such. Don't get me wrong, though, because I'm in no way trying to take anything away from the aftermarket. I know for a fact that many aftermarket companies work in conjunction with the OEMs to design/improve parts. Also, it's relative, to me, as far as what parts we're talking about are. For example - the engine. I know that if I buy a crate engine from GM, that it's been tested to last through 100K miles (or something like that...) in production cars, and that they sometimes spend days at a time on the dyno', under WOT conditions and at 100% load. You can't even duplicate those conditions in the real world (maybe some on a track, but I doubt many of us go that far). I just know that when I get the engine from GM, they're going to stand behind it, and it's going to last. That changes when you start modifying, but stock-for-stock, you almost can't beat they're warranty (what is it? Something like 3/36 for almost all crate engines except race-specific...)

That's just my very humble opinion.

3yr/100k actually
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #585
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Drives: 1969 Dusk Blue Z/28, 2015 Red Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohrg Beast View Post
hey man let me borrow some money..lol..or buy me a motor for christmas..lol...how much does one run anyway???

pretty darn reasonalble right now if you ask me. All you need is the harness

http://www.newgmparts.com/partlocato...layCatalogid=0
Old 09-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #586
ironpeddler

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
They need to come out with touch screen Navi in the Z28!
ironpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #587
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
But the question begs to be answered........the LS7 in the Z06 is a world beater.........why kill it

My thought is keep the boys at Wixom hand building stuff if there is a demand.

Ask a true driver what he'd rather take around Laguna Seca for long periods of time.........Z06 or an LS9 "brute"

Camaro has to go on a diet and get some handles to have any more horsepower than it already does anyway. But I am a big LS7 fan. I am buying a couple to put away
I'm not a driver, like you're posting about here, but, it seemed to me I've read more reviews the ZR1 was easier to drive because of the suspension. The power was more difficult to modulate, but it sounded like the shocks/spring/bar set-up was better than the Z06. I know that I've read that it placed lower than a GT500 and CTS-V as a driver's car, so I see your point What the Hell are they doing for Z06 anyways, without LS7?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
LS7 is built by hand..that's not to cost effective now a days
Yup - I've read LSA is built by our friends to the South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Ahhhh *sigh*...back to the happy thread.

So, I read up a lot on the LSA...if it gets put into the Z28 as-is...we're in for a treat. It's MUCH more than a simple factory-supercharged LS3 like some think of it. For instance, does 270 consecutive hours of wide-open-throttle testing without failure mean anything to you?

Tomorrow, I'll try and pop up the entire 8-page writeup.
I was trying to find a bunch of exploded pics' of that hog yesterday but couldn't find them on the 'net anywhere. I tried to download them from my work computer to my home computer to load onto the Sticky, but I couldn't get it to transfer I gave up around 02:00 this morning, lol. If you don't post them up from your source(s) I'll add them

And you're friggin' right!!! That's a bad@$$ motor!!! I'm a little worried about the PM rods, but they're from a forging process, and I'm sure they're plenty fine and since those hypereutectic pistons are oil-cooled, I'm sure they'd be better than the standard LS3 pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
3yr/100k actually
Thanks for the correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpeddler View Post
They need to come out with touch screen Navi in the Z28!
OMG!!! The 500's touch-screen is so much cooler!!! Would I pay more, personally for it? It depends on how much the car is, and how much more the screen would add. It's certainly low on the priorty list, but really nice in the Mustang. DO IT GM!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #588
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Quote:
What the Hell are they doing for Z06 anyways, without LS7?!
I see the LS7 being used untill the C7 comes out in 2011 or 2012. Then they will replace it with the GenV DI motor. I suspect the C7 will get a 5ish liter N/A motor @ 450hp and then I could see the Z06 getting a boosted version of the same motor @ 500-550hp. These motors would be more capable of meeting the new government regulations. The new motors would then trickle down to the Camaro 1-2yrs later.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 camaro z28, 2012 z28, camaro z28, new camaro z28, new z28, z28