Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-14-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
Kahlis
Gotta love this shit!

Drives: 1981 Camaro Z28
Anything actaully new?

Each and every topic as of late is about what would you, or imagine if GM did this, or what mods do you plan, etc etc etc. Not saying these are bad topic by any means,... it's cool to talk to fellow enthusiasts about the "what ifs".

But what about the latest and greatest? Any more news on the LS2 vs LS3? Have they said anything more about a possible LS7? Any news on a t-top model? What about prices? Any new test drives?

I know good news is only leaked information, and that comes to us intermittently. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm ready to hear something new!!!!

Don't we have an actual GM employee on this site? Maybe he could throw us a couple bread crumbs,... cause all good pigeons know the longer you stick around, the better chance you have to snag a full slice of bread.
Kahlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Not much new on the engines. I highly doubt that info will be release untill the last possible second. i.e. late'08.

I can try to answer your questions though;

LS2 is dead. No more LS2.

As for the LS7, it has been beaten to death that it won't be available for our car. Much too expensive to apply it. And any top model will probably have some sort of S/C LS3...

The way it's designed...no T-tops...but we can still hope

Prices should be within hundreds of a comparable Mustang. starting around 20k and up to around 30k but shouldn't be any more than 31k.

Maximum Bob has driven the new prototype: and he says it's awesome in all ways - even though it still needs some fine tuning. There's a thread around here somewhere: "Uncle Bob drives...." I think

Search around a bit...I don't know when you've last logged in, but there have been a few interesting tidbits.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
Right now it seems like most people's opinions are just speculations. Motor wise the things people say it will have a 400 horse power, 6 Litter LS2 engine. We'll see on the motor lol. I doubt they will put in a LS7 the first year it comes out. In the future that may be a option. (Just a speculation) Transmission wise that V8 will be offered as a automatic or manual transmission that will have a wide spaced gear ratio leaning towards very aggressive acceleration. So the LS7 will have to wait for more news unless anyone else has heard something more recent..

As far as the prices, I think they will be lower than most think. Put it this way. Chevy is still going to have to compete with the new ford Mustangs price wise with the 6 cylinders for the average American man. I actually looked into this a bit and went to a Chevy dealer near my house. Its called Freedom Chevrolet and my dad talked to the general manager about the new Camaros. He said Chevy will be trying to compete with Ford price wise but will be a little bit more expensive. I remember him saying these exact words, "Their practically giving those Mustangs away." If you look at Mustang prices you can get a 6 cylinder with a few options on it for 20k. The way he sounded I would guess the V6's would be 23-24ish and the V8's comparable to the Saleen Mustang. Again those aren't facts, but personally I believe what he said, so I'm not going to be surprised when Camaro's base model is cheaper than we thought.

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:25 AM   #4
hftech

Drives: 2000 Chevy Camaro Z28!
I think Chevy should have a weekly update on their site or somewhere. I hate being in suspense.
hftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
Mr. Wyndham

they...sorta do:

GM fastlane blog
Old 10-14-2007, 10:59 AM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Not much new on the engines. I highly doubt that info will be released until the last possible second. i.e. late'08.

I can try to answer your questions though;

LS2 is dead. No more LS2.
Yup. Scott Settlemire has said this and so has a GM employee on this site (no naming names...the post is here somewhere).
As for the LS7, it has been beaten to death that it won't be available for our car. Much too expensive to apply it. And any top model will probably have some sort of S/C LS3...
Yup. It is waaay to expensive to build that engine w/ titanium push rods, etc, to put it into a Camaro at a low price. It is a wonderful engine, but they are going towards the LS3 and the new Gen V engines. A GM member here has also mentioned no LS7 in the Camaro.

The way it's designed...no T-tops...but we can still hope
You know...I haven't heard ANY speculation on this what-so-ever from and GM people....not from Scott, Lutz, or anyone...hmm....

Prices should be within hundreds of a comparable Mustang. starting around 20k and up to around 30k but shouldn't be any more than 31k.

Yup...as stated by Bob Lutz in a recorded video interview.

Maximum Bob has driven the new prototype: and he says it's awesome in all ways - even though it still needs some fine tuning. There's a thread around here somewhere: "Uncle Bob drives...." I think

Yup. He said key start. Don't know if that was for the prototype only or what. That's news too, I'd think.
Search around a bit...I don't know when you've last logged in, but there have been a few interesting tidbits.
More news....b-pillar confirmed by Lutz. They need it for the 5 star crash test ratings and insurance companies.

Other than that, no information has been released. GM is keeping really quiet on this one. They have to so the competition doens't learn GM secrets and copies them. This is all we really have for now. We do have GM employees on the site. They don't release any actual information, but can can wink at certain possibilities.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:05 AM   #7
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Other than that, no information has been released. GM is keeping really quiet on this one. They have to so the competition doens't learn GM secrets and copies them. This is all we really have for now. We do have GM employees on the site. They don't release any actual information, but can can wink at certain possibilities.
I've wanted to comment on this for quite a while, now. Don't you find it odd, that the Challenger has had such a large number of spyshots taken of it? both on the road and off. I mean, I know it's just about ready for production - but still, either Chrysler is really poor at hiding their vehicles, or GM is really good at it.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #8
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
Yea thats why I said "people say it will have a LS2" its not, we'll see all the motor options as time progresses.

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:14 PM   #9
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
The LS7 theory was also tossed out the window by Scott Settlemire over on camaroz28.com. Basically, compared to what they can do to an LS3 and the new gen V engines its not worth the money to toss in that engine in comparison.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:44 PM   #10
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
I think we should post a sticky thread where the first post is a list of confirmed details on the car. No speculation or rumors allowed. I think we'd be surprised at how little of what we think we know about this car is actually real information.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:58 AM   #11
Kahlis
Gotta love this shit!

Drives: 1981 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil.Fight View Post
I think we should post a sticky thread where the first post is a list of confirmed details on the car. No speculation or rumors allowed. I think we'd be surprised at how little of what we think we know about this car is actually real information.
I agree.
Kahlis is offline   Reply With Quote