Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: WIll gas prices affect your decision to purchase a Camaro
No, I am happy with 27 mpg 136 77.27%
Maybe, it depends on where gas prices are at its release 35 19.89%
Definitely, I have already looked to get a more fuel efficient car 2 1.14%
Maybe so now, the Volt looks nice! 3 1.70%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2008, 05:37 AM   #1
CamaroFever

Drives: Its in my sig "2002 Galant V6"
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroFever
Have gas prices made you rethink about getting a Camaro?

With gas approaching 6 bucks a gallon, I realy am rethinking this. I am in love with the Camaro and always have been, but Im about to start professional school, and eventhough I will be making 6-figures once Im done, at this moment I am not and I dont want a gas burner! 27mpg is not appealing to my eye when Nissan is talking about bringing out sedans that burn diesel, and chevy themselves said that they could release the Volt as soon as 2010.

For those who havent heard of the Volt here is a bit of info:

http://www.chevrolet.com/electriccar/

IMAGINE: A DAILY COMMUTE WITHOUT USING A DROP OF GAS.

The extended-range electric vehicle is no longer just a rumor. We have put tremendous design and engineering resources in place to make this vehicle a reality.

The Concept Chevy Volt, with its revolutionary E-Flex Propulsion System will be different than any previous electric vehicle because it will use a lithium-ion battery with a variety of range-extending onboard power sources, including gas and, in some vehicles, E85
ethanol(1) to recharge the battery while driving.

When it comes to plugging in, the Volt will be designed to use a common 110–volt household plug. For someone who drives less than 40 miles a day, Chevy Volt will use zero gasoline and produce zero emissions.(2) For longer trips, Chevy Volt's range-extending power source kicks in to recharge the lithium-ion battery pack as required. We expect a driving range of an estimated 640 miles.(3)

“We have devoted significant resources to this project: Over 200 engineers and 50 designers are working on the Volt alone, and another 400 are working on related subsystems and electric components. That’s how important we think this is, and that’s how much stock we place in the future of extended-range electric vehicles like the Chevy Volt.”

Last edited by CamaroFever; 06-11-2008 at 09:30 AM.
CamaroFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
I have mentioned in the Volt threads on this forum that I wish I could get a Voltmaro. I like the technology and possible cost savings with the Volt. However, yesterday I realized that I'd be missing two things:
- Rear wheel drive
- Manual tranmission (or, for that matter, ANY transmission; Volt is direct-drive, right?)
So, no thanks.

My VW is EPA rated 22/28 and I'm getting 34, so I'll easily squeeze >32 out of the Camaro...if I can stay out of it.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:33 AM   #3
Tomash

Drives: (black 2SS Camaro), Suzuki SX4
Short answer: no. No way.

Longer answer: come on, Camaro's not about fuel economy!

Long answer: fuel in europe costs now more than 2$ per liter - about 8$/gallon. Even in countries of Eastern Europe (where I live), where salaries are wayy lower than in US. Yet it's still possible in these countries to have a car and drive it a lot, even with moderate salary (like 2-3k$/month). And I bet that when Camaro comes out, you'll realize that too and throw away these worries

PS. 27mpg is a very good fuel economy.
Tomash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:38 AM   #4
GSX
Falcon Punch

Drives: Scion tC (way too slow)
I really want a V8 engine. I really think that this whole gas price mess is nothing but just panicking about stability of the middle east region and the worthlessness of the dollar. Sure it may be bad now but just wait it will change.
GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:39 AM   #5
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Yes...gas prices have made me rethink a few things, but not about the Camaro. I've been interested in the Volt since day one. I'm waiting to hear pricing info on the Volt, I may get one of those also.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:47 AM   #6
BBfan24

Drives: '10 Black 1SS/RS
whatever happened to the Evo1?
Old 06-10-2008, 07:06 AM   #7
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
I checked "NO". I've waited this freaking long to get a car and it's gonna be the Camaro. . . . though like I've said in the other post, if the Volt can keep it's looks I'd consider getting one once the battery tech is perfected.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:06 AM   #8
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
No but it has made me push the purchase of the car forward to a few years into the future when hopefully my economy is more stabile. I am however considering getting a Volt at a later point if I think the gas is getting too tough. My goal though is to have the Camaro as the daily driver for as long as I can.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:36 AM   #9
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
guys it the 70's all over again. after 2009 gm will do the same thing they did in the 70's and thats make the motors smaller, and put less hp in them in order to achive a higher fuel economy. perhaps the inline turbo 4 that was brought up awhile ago??
but has it changed my dads decision. no it has not. and the chance of him getting are still pending the final outcome of it.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:37 AM   #10
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFever View Post
WIth gas approaching 6 bucks a gallon, I realy am rethingking this. I am in love with the Camaro and always have been, but Im about to start professional school, and eventhough I will be making 6-figures once Im done, at thisc moment I am not and I dont want a gas burner, and 27mpg is not appealing to my eye when Nissan is talking about bringing out sedans that burn diesel, and chevy themselves said that they could release the Volt as soon as 2010.
okokok, I HAVE GOT to clean up some misconception here... SINCE WHEN HAS 27 MPG been bad?

The short of it... only 2% of vehicles selection in model year 2008 have greater than 30MPG combined.

Here is a list of brand new 2008 cars that get better than 30 MPG (combined, Fuel economy)...

40-45 MPG(thats right.. 2!)
Honda Civic Hybrid
Toyota Prius Hybrid

35-40 MPG(thats right.. 1!)
Smart Fortwo

30-35 (hrmm seeing a trend?)
Toyota Yaris hatchback (2dr)
Mini Cooper
Mini Clubman
Toyota Corolla
Honda Fit
Nissan Altima Hybrid
Camry Hybrid
Ford Escape Hybrid
Mazda Tribute Hybrid
Mercury Mariner Hybrid

NOW.. How many cars are above 30mpg combined and NOT a hybrid... 6
How many cars are above 30mpg period... 13
How many unique production cars where produced for sale in the USA that get between 20 and 30 mpg... 466

SO we have a total of 479 of which 13 get better than 30MPG.. thats 2% of vehicles available..

Close to 30MPG combined is very good.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:04 AM   #11
willisit

Drives: Vauxhall Monaro VXR
I'm paying nearly $9 a gallon (different gallon, I know) in the UK and with the car expected to retail at something like $85k I doubt I'll buy one now... at least, I doubt I'll buy a UK car (in RHD!).
2001 Honda CBR 600 F
willisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:57 AM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBfan24 View Post
whatever happened to the Evo1?
Do you mean GM's EV1? The all-electric vehicle of the '90s?
It was killed. It was born before its time, and there wasn't enough demand for them. However, much of the expertise GM learned during that project is being channelled into the Volt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
okokok, I HAVE GOT to clean up some misconception here... SINCE WHEN HAS 27 MPG been bad?
The short of it... only 2% of vehicles selection in model year 2008 have greater than 30MPG combined.
Wait a second, the numbers you provided are very good and all...but I very much doubt that the 27mpg mark is combined fuel economy for the V6 (because you know the V8 will be lucky to breach 26mpg hwy.)

The CTS gets 26mpg hwy with the DI V6. And the Camaro V6 should only weigh 100-200lbs less than that car. So it's VERY possible that they managed to (through gearing/weight savings, etc) squeeze out an extra mpg hwy and probably a couple city.

But it's not combined...that's asking for a miracle.

Having said that, this is for the OP:

If you are in the market for a sporty coupe; you've got a few choices (Mustang, Challenger, a couple of imports). But rest assured, the Camaro will deliever class-leading fuel economy -- they (GM/Chevy) know what environment they're up against in selling this car, and they want it to be a success. 27mpg is very impressive when you consider that it's coming out of a 300hp power plant. But if fuel economy is your primary buying decision, and you're looking for a 30+ mpg econobox, you're looking in the wrong place. Even with the Turbo 4-cylinder, I don't think that's going to happen this 5th generation Camaro.

There is hope...I guess. If fuel economy is your primary concern, but you want the sportiness to go with it, and you're willing to sacrifice RWD...take a peek at the Cobalt SS. It currently holds the FWD record at the Nurburgring. All while keeping a 30mpg hwy rating.

To answer your question, none of this has swayed my decision to buy a CAMARO, I've always wanted one and I know that I'm going to sacrifice a few mpgs to get one...what it has done is make me pay a little more attention to the V6 model, that's all.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:03 AM   #13
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Regardless of gas prices, I'm hoping to park a 5th Gen. in my garage someday.

I currently use the SS only for weekend cruises and occassional car shows, and the 5th Gen. will most likely live the same life.

It will cost more to enjoy it, but I cannot see higher gas prices causing me to walk away from owning a car that means so much to me.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:06 AM   #14
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post

It will cost more to enjoy it, but I cannot see higher gas prices causing me to walk away from owning a car that means so much to me.
+1
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote