Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 05-30-2014, 02:26 PM   #99
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
They should shut down the Island and do this then...oh by the way you wont enjoy this eitherlook at post #7
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345111
I totally agree on shutting down the island for a day. And thanks for more drool. I will enjoy all the videos of speed. Love the Isle of Man.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:26 PM   #100
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGrilles View Post
Looking through our pictures I found this of your car:

Nice driving
-DJGrilles
Thanks, very nice, me likey haha! That was last year.The only i can tell is it's before the Hex vents.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #101
cornerspeed92

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
I totally agree on shutting down the island for a day. And thanks for more drool. I will enjoy all the videos of speed. Love the Isle of Man.
Sweet, i have never seen the one that Steve Dallas posted, that video rocks!
Old 05-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #102
DanSS24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGrilles View Post
Looking through our pictures I found this of your car:

Nice driving
-DJGrilles
I don't normally like red, but dayum, that is a nice shot and nice car.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:35 PM   #103
cornerspeed92

Thanks, im trying to understand the pic. That is the cold pit area and im not in the car, what this must be is when i was instructing and taking a beginner group out. For the 1st few laps they want me to bring them in the pits talk and make sure they are comfortable. So i must be behind my car talking to them.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #104
DanSS24

I watched your driving in the videos and I noticed that the way you enter and exit the turns, is very similar to the way we were taught in our police cars. Back in the mid '90s, we were training in the crown vics on a small road course before they closed it down, and a 3rd gen IROC was used as a chase car. Sad to say, at that time, we sucked at driving. Then our instructor gave us a few pointers on entering and exiting turns, and just that little change made a huge difference. We still was not able to catch the IROC though.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:06 PM   #105
cornerspeed92

I want to run something by you guy's i am thinking about before i actually maybe do it. So racing/speed is my passion, it burns inside of me, it's in my DNA. Those that dont know this is actually my 2nd personal cover/C5 homepage http://www.camaro5.com/camaro-1le-in-action-at-laguna-seca-raceway-

Apparently, according to Mikamaro, i was only off by 3 seconds to Randy Pobst running a Camaro at Laguna, and that's his home track, this was my 1st time there. Obviously i want sponsorship, and a ride. I obviously have the ability and the drive.
http://www.camaro5.com/
The thing is i don't ask anybody for anything, im quiet, and humble, and just your average worker bee,but i feel the door has certainly been opened and i want to step through it. So im pretty sure GM watches this site, and i was thinking about starting a thread on General discussions, where i assume they would see it.
"One driver, One 1LE, Two Camaro5 cover/homepages...GM are you watching?"
And then come up with my resume so to speak to post in the thread.I don't want this to sound self absorbing, or self promoting, which obviously it is,hence why im asking my peer's. But like i say it feels like the time to do this. Would you guy's chime in on this please. Thank you.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #106
cornerspeed92

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
I watched your driving in the videos and I noticed that the way you enter and exit the turns, is very similar to the way we were taught in our police cars. Back in the mid '90s, we were training in the crown vics on a small road course before they closed it down, and a 3rd gen IROC was used as a chase car. Sad to say, at that time, we sucked at driving. Then our instructor gave us a few pointers on entering and exiting turns, and just that little change made a huge difference. We still was not able to catch the IROC though.
I always liked the IROC's
Old 05-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #107
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
I want to run something by you guy's i am thinking about before i actually maybe do it. So racing/speed is my passion, it burns inside of me, it's in my DNA. Those that dont know this is actually my 2nd personal cover/C5 homepage http://www.camaro5.com/camaro-1le-in-action-at-laguna-seca-raceway-

Apparently, according to Mikamaro, i was only off by 3 seconds to Randy Pobst running a Camaro at Laguna, and that's his home track, this was my 1st time there. Obviously i want sponsorship, and a ride. I obviously have the ability and the drive.
The thing is i don't ask anybody for anything, im quiet, and humble, and just your average worker bee,but i feel the door has certainly been opened and i want to step through it. So im pretty sure GM watches this site, and i was thinking about starting a thread on General discussions, where i assume they would see it.
And then come up with my resume so to speak to post in the thread.I don't want this to sound self absorbing, or self promoting, which obviously it is,hence why im asking my peer's. But like i say it feels like the time to do this. Would you guy's chime in on this please. Thank you.
That would be so cool to see a average working guy like you to get a ride , Any owner with a opening should take a chance and give you a shot , All he has to do is look at your video's and how you pass cars that have no business being passed , hmmm Could it be another Ayrton Senna Camaro style ? You are on the right path , best of luck , Let me know if you come to Road America this year .
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:20 PM   #108
cornerspeed92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
That would be so cool to see a average working guy like you to get a ride , Any owner with a opening should take a chance and give you a shot , All he has to do is look at your video's and how you pass cars that have no business being passed , hmmm Could it be another Ayrton Senna Camaro style ? You are on the right path , best of luck , Let me know if you come to Road America this year .
Nice words my friend, thanks for the vote of confidence
Old 05-30-2014, 09:29 PM   #109
KRich2587

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1LE
Do it Mark its about time one of us average Joes who work our asses off gets a shot!
KRich2587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:16 AM   #110
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
a new Pressure washer, great that'll help keep it clean

All kidding aside how are you finding the F1's for track days? You must like them as you've bought another set but from some of the feedback I've been hearing the Pilot SS are a great/better tire and more street friendly. I'm racing at The Ridge June 16th on my F1's and a friend is putting on Pilot SS so we will see which ones stick better.
I know that place, maybe I will show up...
Old 05-31-2014, 12:19 AM   #111
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
After reading all the posts, I wonder how much of this is driver and how much is car. I wonder if you were in the Z06 would you be the fastest. Or drive one of the cars with a slower time and show a faster time. Your skill level as a driver is really showing through. Dont get me wrong the 1LE is a capable car. In your hands it seems even more capable. Congrats landing on the home page, great videos glad you're enjoying the car so much!!!

P.S. I think I have watched all of your videos and a couple of them twice.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:13 AM   #112
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:

I hear you, I feel the same way- to say that I'm obsessed with tracking would not be an overstatement

I don't know if you'll get noticed by just running HPDE days, despite your exceptional achievements. You may want to consider stepping it up a notch and competing. I've been researching NASA quite a bit, and a good first step to competition is time trials. If you do well in time trials, you could eventually win the NorCal NASA Championship and maybe even the NASA Western US Championship. You could also consider wheel to wheel racing, but that's considerably more risky to your equipment and your wallet. You could see which time trial group you'd like to compete in, and I've learned the hard way the importance of picking a NASA class that is populated with drivers. Here's an example of why- my car is very competitive in the NASA TT2 class. At Buttonwillow I would have won every NASA TT2 time trial over the past 2 years, if I were able to run a time equal or better to the 1:57.4 that I ran last time there. I consistently ran low 1:58s all day and a few 1:57s. In fact, I would have also won every TT1 in 2013 and 2014, the class above mine with much higher HP to weight ratios. This class is dominated by modded Corvettes and a few Vipers, yet at Buttonwillow, the Camaro was competitive. I don't know about other tracks yet, but I think I would also do well at Laguna Seca. I looked at the times at Willow Springs though, I would need more practice (and Hoosiers) before taking a win as I'm not as fast as the top TT2 and TT3 drivers there.

Being competitive makes racing more affordable (although it's still very expensive as you know). If you place 1st you win 2 free Hoosiers (provided you are competing with them), so if you win both Saturday and Sunday then you get a set of free tires. 1 free tire for 2nd place. You also win $150 from Hawk towards their products for 1st place. So it's fair to say that if you do very well, your tires and brake pads are paid for. Here's the catch- to win Hoosiers, there must be at least 5 starters in your class. Well, my TT2 class is poorly populated. The best class for me to run in is TT3 class, it has the most starters. At Willow Springs, Laguna Seca and Buttonwillow, there have been between 5 and 9 cars competing in TT3 over the last two years, but only 1 to 4 cars competing in TT2. This means I can't win tires in TT2!!!

I will likely be detuning my engine to make less HP so I can compete in TT3 from here forward. And the good news for you- the 1LE requires relatively few mods to compete in TT3, so this would be a good class for you to consider. NASA "unlimited" classes, including TT3, are based almost entirely on weight:HP ratio. An example of a competitive 1LE set up for TT3 would have:
3900 Lb Min. weight including driver (I'm at 3950 Lb now so I need to put my car on a diet)
443 Max RWHP (I'm at 497 RWHP so I need to reduce this somehow)
This assumes aftermarket aero, which carries a penalty. If you don't do aero, you could have a lower weight and/or higher HP and still run TT3.

Think about it brotha! Join me in TT3 class and we'll go play on the track together. Or you could find which TT class a completely stock 1LE would compete in. If we have success in NASA time trials, I imagine more doors will open.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086

Last edited by Orange Crush 1LE; 05-31-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote