Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

View Poll Results: What would you do if you had to take a 20% paycut or lose your job?
I wouldn't like it but I need my job 12 21.43%
I would quit immediately 7 12.50%
I would accept it but start looking for another job immediately 26 46.43%
I would accept because they've been good to me and it's necessary to remain viable 11 19.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
Foster26

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM 6SP CGRS #9761
How valuable is your job?

There have been several debates on here lately about whether unions are good or bad. Let's take a poll on how valuable your job is over your pay.

The question is: If the company you work for told you that times are tough and in order for you to keep your job, you would have to take a 20% reduction in pay. What would you do?
Foster26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:16 AM   #2
SdustinK

Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
What does this have to do with the camaro
Old 11-14-2008, 09:27 AM   #3
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
JMO before this gets locked or dumped. Unions are good and Bad. Unions for municipal job such as government jobs seem to not be completely corrupt and they do give workers rights, and lets face it, government jobs don't pay all that well, people need help.

That said, Unions that worked with american big business, (and I'm talking mostly about groups like the UAW) that pushed and pushed until you have factory workers making hourly what skilled professionals should be making, and not only that but adding a huge chunk to the top end (I believe someone posted the stat here the UAW contract gts 75 bucks an hour per worker of which 35 is the workers pay, the rest goes to the union), are evil and terrible. If my Company wanted me to take a pay cut in that case I would tell them they should dump the union contract and pay me the same, and the Union can go pound sand. I know thats not how it works, but thats how it should be.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
ummm, theres no option for "Military screwed me again but i'm not allowed to quit" lol. plus we're not allowed to unionize

+1 to rogue, Unions were originally a great thing ensuring workers rights, but now w/ so many federal laws about workers rights there are several (not ALL) that don't help the employee nearly as much a its worth to the employee to be paying $$ in dues.

some good, some bad
Old 11-14-2008, 09:38 AM   #5
Foster26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdustinK View Post
It's relevant because the Camaro obviously depends on whether GM can continue justifying it's investment or even stay in business. Many have debated whether unions are good or bad and some argue that pay of union workers is one thing keeping the US auto industry at a disadvantage. Now I know lowering their pay is NOT the solution but in my arguments I've stated that people tend to undervalue their jobs and overvalue their pay.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I don't have a job yet because I will be graduating in December. Sadly, no one has made an offer yet. My concern is that I won't have the chance to take a pay cut in this market. I'll just get a really low offer. I already expect that as I am entering the market at the entry level, but today's low is lower than what it was a year ago.

Foster26, the Camaro's investment is justified. GM has invested to much to cancel it. There's no reasonable explanation for canceling it. I want to know what makes you think that the Camaro is somehow not justified. After all, the first 3 days of ordering resulted in over 3,000 orders, way over GM estimates, and the Camaro program has generated a buzz not seen since the original Camaro was released. We're looking at what appears to be a widely accepted, publicized, and sellable car.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #7
SdustinK

Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
the only car I like from gm is the camaro. Other then that Japanese cars suck they never look nice and American cars are never trusted. Not saying there bad. But so many people believe there not reliable that's the reason u don't see z06. All over the road. U see sl mercedes or m6, or anything foregin that competes with it
Old 11-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #8
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
I would accept it but start looking for another job immediately
this is the one I chose.. and the reason... My company is STILL turning a profit... and if they asked me to take a pay cut.. i would .. but be looking for another job on principle... your making money.. in a horrible economy.. and now just looking for more ways to INCREASE your profit..
Old 11-14-2008, 09:52 AM   #9
Foster26

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I don't have a job yet because I will be graduating in December. Sadly, no one has made an offer yet. My concern is that I won't have the chance to take a pay cut in this market. I'll just get a really low offer. I already expect that as I am entering the market at the entry level, but today's low is lower than what it was a year ago.

Foster26, the Camaro's investment is justified. GM has invested to much to cancel it. There's no reasonable explanation for canceling it. I want to know what makes you think that the Camaro is somehow not justified. After all, the first 3 days of ordering resulted in over 3,000 orders, way over GM estimates, and the Camaro program has generated a buzz not seen since the original Camaro was released. We're looking at what appears to be a widely accepted, publicized, and sellable car.
I never said the Camaro investment is not justified. I agree it is-at this point. Remember though, it doesn't start production before Feb. Can you predict what economic conditions will be like at that time? Sure we all expect them to be bad but how bad? The worse the economy gets, the less demand there will be for this car. There is a point where further investment cannot be justified. I hope we don't get there and really think we won't, but sure as hell can't predict what GM's condition will be in February.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:28 AM   #10
BigRigMike

Drives: 2010 Ford Fusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster26 View Post
I never said the Camaro investment is not justified. I agree it is-at this point. Remember though, it doesn't start production before Feb. Can you predict what economic conditions will be like at that time? Sure we all expect them to be bad but how bad? The worse the economy gets, the less demand there will be for this car. There is a point where further investment cannot be justified. I hope we don't get there and really think we won't, but sure as hell can't predict what GM's condition will be in February.
I would agree. It may only take one million dollars to get the Camaro to production but if you don't have it and no one will loan the money to do it, then it is a no-go. If things get really bad then the only products that would be available next year would be the products that are already going down the assembly.

Now back on topic. If my company asked me to take a pay cut I would be ticked for the fact that we just had record profits but if we were losing money then I would find it acceptable to take a pay cut. But then I would definitely want my pay back when the profits return.
BigRigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:39 AM   #11
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by SdustinK View Post
He did post it in the Off Topic area.

Also the problem with people is no matter how much you make it is never enough. Well it is but we all tend to buy to big of a house or this or that and we end up having huge payments. So when you are asked to take a pay cut usually you can't because you are still leaving pay check to pay check because of your debt load.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Actually....it wasn't originally here.

I said I'd take it (what else could I do?), but start looking for another job asap...
Old 11-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #13
Foster26

why would this get moved? It is general discussion and there is relevence to the camaro. I realize little but what would motivate someone to move it?
Old 11-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The moderator who moved it didn't see any relevence to the Camaro. I have to say that I agree...this is much broader than the Camaro.