Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 09-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #15
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Welcome...I want that LS3 poster! Got the L99 and this one at Indy.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #16
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2camaross View Post
look at the cam gear on the L99. WAY different, i wonder what it does? maybe some sort of clutch the advances or retards the cam. I think ill call it Variable Valve timing and patent it
LOL. refer here http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7057
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #17
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
That appears to be the spring in the hydraulic roller lifter.
They are needed to force the lower portion of the follower down onto the base circle of the cam when it is in deact mode so as to be ready to reactive and probably keep the pushrod tip on the rocker. Without them the lifter might stay up where the cam lobe pushes it.

Quote:
I bet it's so that if the afm gets stuck and holds a valve open it won't make contact with the piston. I know you don't want to miss oil changes with the afm or use the wrong oil.
The AFM deact lifter could fail in a way that would cause it not to reactivate (and the valve not to open) or it could fail to deactivate (and act as a normal lifter). But I don’t see how it could cause the valve to stay open, at least not outside of a bizarre failure that would also apply to a non-AFM engine.

I think that the cuts are an illustrator error since the location of the cuts doesn’t make any sense for that head design.

I’m reminded of an infamous H&K pistol ad that showed the rounds loaded into the magazine backwards. The people who do this kind of work are not car guys or gun guys, they are guys who went to art school and somehow managed to learn how to make things that look like things. But if you don’t know what you are looking at you are libel to goof a detail every once in a while.

Or maybe they are just worried about valve float.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #18
Robert91RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
They are needed to force the lower portion of the follower down onto the base circle of the cam when it is in deact mode so as to be ready to reactive and probably keep the pushrod tip on the rocker. Without them the lifter might stay up where the cam lobe pushes it.

The AFM deact lifter could fail in a way that would cause it not to reactivate (and the valve not to open) or it could fail to deactivate (and act as a normal lifter). But I don’t see how it could cause the valve to stay open, at least not outside of a bizarre failure that would also apply to a non-AFM engine.

I think that the cuts are an illustrator error since the location of the cuts doesn’t make any sense for that head design.

I’m reminded of an infamous H&K pistol ad that showed the rounds loaded into the magazine backwards. The people who do this kind of work are not car guys or gun guys, they are guys who went to art school and somehow managed to learn how to make things that look like things. But if you don’t know what you are looking at you are libel to goof a detail every once in a while.

Haha I will have to look for that H&K add. I didn't think about there locations.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:42 AM   #19
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:34 AM   #20
Camaro68

Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
Thumbs up awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Welcome...I want that LS3 poster! Got the L99 and this one at Indy.
that's awesome that you got those signitures on the DI Engine poster

6000 Vehicle Delivered to Customer 6-23-10
Camaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:55 AM   #21
glazr69

Drives: 2011 Charger R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post

When deactivating cylinders, the valves on the inactive ones are held open. This helps resuce mechanical losses, as you dont want to be compressing air on the compression strokes, and dont want to be creating a vaccum on what would be the combustion stroke.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:07 AM   #22
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by glazr69 View Post
When deactivating cylinders, the valves on the inactive ones are held open. This helps resuce mechanical losses, as you dont want to be compressing air on the compression strokes, and dont want to be creating a vaccum on what would be the combustion stroke.
Not in GM's version. They keep the valves closed, so the air being compressed acts like a spring during piston travel to BDC. Supposedly, Chrysler's 5.7 V8 acts the way you described. And it seems to work better, because they're getting another mpg more out of the system.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #23
Robert91RS

Just an update now that the L99 and LS3 are both in the GM catalog now. For grinns I check the pistons and they are using different numbers. The crankshaft castings are also different. These motors may be a little more unique than we thought.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #24
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Just an update now that the L99 and LS3 are both in the GM catalog now. For grinns I check the pistons and they are using different numbers. The crankshaft castings are also different. These motors may be a little more unique than we thought.
the pistons are different. the L99 has dished pistons

and I would imagine that the L99 crankshaft is slightly lighter to aid in the fact that AFM is having the engine turn over and move the car with only 4 cyls. just a thought tho.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #25
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
I may just stick with the L99 auto in my SS and just be happy with it. I can try to improve fuel economy and HP by CAI and some nice Exhausts.
fad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #26
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Nice Find