Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 08-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
My lucky day. Drove a 2ss and a GT500 my thoughts.

A good friend of mine, who owns a GT500 suggested that we go for a drive to check out a 2SS today at a local dealership.

I had yet to drive a 5th Gen, so I was incredibly excited at this opportunity.

We pulled up to the dealership in my buddy's spotless 10' GT500, parked it right next to the Camaros. We had the keys to a 11' 2SS IOM/IOM interior, M6 within minutes.

The salesman would not let us take the car out without his supervision however so he squeezed into the backseat as my friend and I took turns driving the beast. (Very amusing since I am 6'4" and he had to sit behind me...ouchhhh)

The car looked and sounded amazing, a little bit less of a rumble than the GT500, but it was definitely pleasing to the ear. When it was my turn to drive I slid into the seat, adjusted the mirrors, familiarized myself with the controls and got ready to rumble.

Ergonomically, there was plenty of room in this car for me. As mentioned I am rather tall and broad shouldered there was plenty of legroom and while the cabin did have a "cockpit" feel to it. I did not at all feel cramped. All controls were easily located and pleasing to the eye. The hud was also one of the coolest features of this car, but I could live without it. (I actually want to buy a 1SS, but this dealership "does not sell 1SS since *cough* nobody wants them")

As for driving impressions, the traffic was somewhat heavy in the suburban area we utilized for our test drive. And with the unfamiliar roads I wasn't really able to "Get on it" so to speak. I did take it on the freeway and accelleration was very impressive. I am used to driving a 4.0 Jeep, so this car was a delight to me. Incredibly responsive throttle, while I didn't get to take it on any twisty roads the car felt nimble enough.

One problem that I found was the clutch engagement. I have read before that it's somewhat tricky and I found this to be very true. I nearly stalled on my first takeoff, but after two red lights I had gotten the hang of it. This is certainly a car that I will have to get used to. This car did not have the hurst shifter option, and to be honest after driving the GT550 (I'll get to that) I will certainly not buy an SS without this option.

Overall, I am happy to say that I now know what *temporary* permagrin feels like. I would have liked to have more time behind the wheel of this vehicle, in more familiar surroundings to get comfortable driving it, unfortunately that was not to be today.

As we drove I discussed pricing with the salesman. He informed me that his dealership (carbone chevrolet, new hartford NY) had sold over 35 Camaros in 2010, and that they sold most of them OVER MSRP. When I told him that I knew of other dealerships or internet salesman offering these vehicles for several thousand under MSRP he said "well that's good. Wherever they are you might want to try that instead."

So. Sorry Carbone. I liked your car, your salesman was cool for being honest, but you won't be getting my business. When I told the salesman that there was no way I would pay MSRP he didn't even bother to take my phone number down. Oh well. I have Scotty's Email addy If the local dealers are all of this mindset, I'll be getting my car from Wisconsin.

As we left the dealership, my friend said to me. "dude you've been talking about that car for months, you don't seem too excited" The truth was, I didn't want to appear too eager to the salesman. I told him that I had a blast driving the SS but definitely would not buy from that dealership. He then says. "Why don't you try out my Shelby?" At first I declined, I don't like driving other people's vehicles. Especially a special car like this (it's his baby.) He insisted however, so we pulled over and I slid into the driver's seat.

I felt a bit more cramped in the Shelby, but like the SS, the seats were comfortable, and the instruments were all well placed.

As expected, the Supercharged Shelby felt a bit more impressive as far as accelleration went. The traction control was turned off, and let me tell you, burnouts in second gear are a hoot. I would have loved to try the SS with Stabilitrak turned off, but as I said, we just didn't have the time.

We were on a less crowded back road now, and I really had the chance to open up the Shelby, it is fast.... almost frightening. At one point, I actually giggled like a child. I'm not experienced at driving these vehicles, nor am I knocking the SS, because as I said. I only got to take it to 80 mph on the highway.

Now I'm not sitting here saying the GT500 is a better car, but I will say I had more fun driving it. Which I think is more of a circumstance that I had a much more relaxed and optimal environment to test it out. The only thing I actually liked more about the GT500 was transmission feel. I loved the clutch on the GT500, it was much much easier to operate (I've been driving manual transmissions since I was 16, I am now 31) The shift throws were much shorter in the Mustang as well.

So after I've had the early evening to collect my thoughts here is my conclusion.

I still want to buy a 1SS. I love the look and feel of this car. It was comfortable, the ride was super smooth and quiet at highway speeds. It was incredibly powerful, responsive and it felt very well put together. I was disappointed with the dealership not willing to move on the price, but I expected that.

The GT500 is an animal. It is also about 15 grand more than the SS that I would like to buy. However I am glad that I drove it because it gave me some basis of comparison. I really loved the transmission in this car. After driving the GT500 I really wished I had gotten the opportunity for a longer drive with the Camaro.

That was the only real complaint that I had with the SS. The clutch, well that will just take some getting used to. However I would love to hear about some of your experiences with the Hurst Shifter (or any aftermarket shifter for that matter) The visibility was horrible out of the back and driver's side rear, again, like the clutch, this will take some getting used to. I am much more excited to aquire my SS now that I've had the chance to go out and experience driving one and any thoughts would be appreciated.
TSSUNAMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
over MSRP? He is on CRACK.. Scratch that... the 35 people who he has conned last year were on CRACK.
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
To bad your not out here in socal. My dealer is or was doing about 20-30 a month!!Biggest allocation in Cali. I bought from the internet manager and with credit union discount got my 2ltrs for 30500 when the sales people were trying for 37! Definetly go to the internet manager and checkout if any discounts like I had also.
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
I got a 2SS for sale if you want,
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:54 AM   #5
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Nice review OP. Obviously the GT500 is going to be more fun, it costs more. I am really liking the new mustangs more and more (wayyy more than the challenger). With the right set of aftermarket wheels the new 5.0s look sweet. However I still think the styling of the Camaro is better. I know if I had a GT I would not get nearly as many looks or questions as I do in my Camaro. Now the GT500 is a different story, but really cannot be compared to an SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY1STCAMAR0 View Post
I got a 2SS for sale if you want,
why are you selling it?

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:32 AM   #6
BigDan

Drives: bug
Although still an additional $13k there's remaining 2010 GT500's going for low 40's everyday to make room for the 2011, like $43k or maybe lower if you qualify for discounts or wait for something crazy like 0% for 60 months and X plan.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Good write up. If 426hp puts on a permagrin then 540 should be cause for a 31yr old man to giggle. Nothing wrong with that. The question is how much is that giggle worth.. and that's the difference.
2002 White Camaro Z28 A4
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
patSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS
The GT500 is worth every dollar you spend on it. Used ones with low mileage are fairly cheap.
patSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:03 PM   #9
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
Supercharge the SS and get best of both
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
TSSUNAMI

I think given a more optimal testing environment the camaro has MORE than enough power to make me giggle. I just didn't have the room to open it up. I'm thinking a 1SS with a hurst will be my choice. I can definitely say though that I wont be a mustang hater. I love both cars, the camaro is just more my flavor.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
Nice comparison without the bashing - how refreshing.. I have 3 friends with 1SS's (they didn't want leather) - so I just don't get where that salesman was coming from!?!? Same for the MSRP comments.. He doesn't deserve to get the sale IMO.

For the $13k difference in pricing, you can do a whole lot of modding to your Camaro including adding a supercharger to make one hell of a sexy beast!! The Camaro is still "the" head-turner of the big 3 (Camaro, Challenger, Mustang).

Good Luck, I have heard nothing but positive comments in regard to CamaroScotty (or Becky, Anna or Eric) to support our honest, hard-working no BS'ing forum sales team.. Lori
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:07 AM   #12
TSSUNAMI

Thanks, I'm in no position to bash any of the big 3 muscle cars. At the end of the day we individually know how to spend our money. I like vanilla ice cream, my friend likes another flavor. Same deal. I'm not a qualified automobile tester, I'm just an average guy who was fortunate enough to drive two very special automobiles and I gave my opinions on both. Now waiting until after the holidays to own my Camaro is going to be even harder but what an unforgettable experience.

As far as the salesperson goes. He personally, was very up front, which I appreciated. He was very accomodating, and didn't say much as my friend and I tested out the vehicle (although after listening to us talk during the drive, he probably realized that there wasn't much about this car that he could tell us that we did not already know.)
But being unwilling to budge from MSRP and letting me walk? He never even got me inside the building. When I sold cars if I let a person walk without going inside, we got sent home for the day. Oh well. As I said previously, one of our C5 dealers will most likely end up with a commission from my sale.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #13
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone★ColdNuts View Post
When I told the salesman that there was no way I would pay MSRP he didn't even bother to take my phone number down. Oh well. I have Scotty's Email addy If the local dealers are all of this mindset, I'll be getting my car from Wisconsin.
Let me know - I'd be glad to help! I have several customers in NY & NJ - be more than happy to add you to that list!
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #14
TSSUNAMI

I will for sure Scott! You've already been very helpful in answering my questions!