Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
Ocx

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Flowmaster American Thunder 40 Series Help: Install tomorrow or bust

Flowmaster 42543 = American Thunder 40 Series

Flowmaster 842543 = Delta 40 Series

Tips: Flowmaster 15365 (Already purchased)

I went to a local Flowmaster muffler shop and they had the American Thunder series above in stock ready for install for like $130 a piece.

1. I'm not sure how they will sound since this is NOT the American Thunder Kit for Camaro V6 seen here on Youtube.

2.To be honest, I just wanted the tips installed only, I didn't want to change the stock exhaust but due to the difficulty of welding, price, rear diffuser removal its actually about the same price to get new mufflers. However, the only Flowmasters the local shop carries are American Thunder series.

Please give me as much input as possible, I don't care if it's an opinion, I just need feedback as I'm dropping my car off tomorrow morning or I'm just going to return the tips I already bought.

I didn't think having tips welded/installed was going to be so difficult and pricey, and to tell you the truth I'm about ready to just scrap the whole idea and RMA the tips back.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Flowmaster 42543 + Flowmaster 15365 = What do you think?
Ocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
Phantom.5SS
Hell yeah I'm Guilty.....

Drives: 2010 2-SS ABM NON-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocx View Post
Flowmaster 42543 = American Thunder 40 Series

Flowmaster 842543 = Delta 40 Series

Tips: Flowmaster 15365 (Already purchased)

I went to a local Flowmaster muffler shop and they had the American Thunder series above in stock ready for install for like $130 a piece.

1. I'm not sure how they will sound since this is NOT the American Thunder Kit for Camaro V6 seen here on Youtube.

2.To be honest, I just wanted the tips installed only, I didn't want to change the stock exhaust but due to the difficulty of welding, price, rear diffuser removal its actually about the same price to get new mufflers. However, the only Flowmasters the local shop carries are American Thunder series.

Please give me as much input as possible, I don't care if it's an opinion, I just need feedback as I'm dropping my car off tomorrow morning or I'm just going to return the tips I already bought.

I didn't think having tips welded/installed was going to be so difficult and pricey, and to tell you the truth I'm about ready to just scrap the whole idea and RMA the tips back.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Flowmaster 42543 + Flowmaster 15365 = What do you think?
I dont recognize the part numbers but they look very similar to what comes with the A/Thunder cat back I have on my car.

Do you have a 6 or an 8...also do you have stick or auto?

For the price of the two mufflers/hangers/clamps and labor you might want to visit Streetsideauto.com. and get the cat back kit and install it yourself (Very easy)!!
THE BEST exhaust I ever heard on a v6 was "Walker OEM GlassPacks"..just sick!

heres a link to my you tube.

Last edited by Phantom.5SS; 05-26-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Phantom.5SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
Ocx

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Thanks for the response. I have a 1LT V6 Automatic, my biggest fear is there will be an inordinate amount of rasp and it will sound like crap and I'll be almost $400 into basically a CAT back exhaust instead of getting the right pieces to the puzzle and doing it right.

I would hate to drive off and be apprehensive about what I just did to my car.
Ocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Check into my V6 exhaust sticky thread and look for the flowmasters section.

There is video of someone running the Flowmaster Delta 40 series, he has good info in the thread and plenty of video. I think the car sounds sweet on cold start and normal idle and under low to medium throttle, but starts to get a bit raspy when it is punched, but overall it is nice and I'm sure sounds better in person.

If you can, try to listen to the videos using decent headphones or speakers that can recreate the lows of the sound in the video.

Personally, I'd probably go for these over the others simply because I know they don't sound too bad in these videos...no idea what the other would sound like???

Good luck!

Better yet, here you go:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54280
Old 05-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6
almost no matter what exhaust you put on it cant be worse than stock!

it sounds like a little bumblebee
chicagobulls is offline   Reply With Quote