Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
cam fan

Drives: fast
no hose access - how to wash?

I've watched & re-watched the Adam's + Junk Man videos and do my best to follow the proper technique. I don't have access to a water hose to wash my car and therefore cannot foam. What is my alternative?

Old 01-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #2
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
A number of self service wash bays will have an option to set the wand to foam. I'd recommend that to start. You may have to do a little leg work to find the right one, but most should have it as an option.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
You might want to check out some of these relatively new "waterless" wash products.

Link to a demo:

http://www.autogeek.net/dp-waterless...ncentrate.html

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod View Post
You might want to check out some of these relatively new "waterless" wash products.

Link to a demo:

http://www.autogeek.net/dp-waterless...ncentrate.html
In the summer time Or in the southern states, I might tend to agree with you, but northern states in the winter might be too much for some of the waterless products. Self sever wash bays can offer a suitable alternative over the drive through touch less options. It's certainly more work and you'll likely be in the eelements, but the key is to soak off all the chunks that can form on your car from salt, sand, snow and ice and gently rinse them off. Using the waterless products in the winter will only scratch up your car because much of the gunk remains on the car as you wipe it off.

Good luck!
Old 01-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
YOu can't afford a water hose?
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron10 View Post
the hose isn't the problem.....its connecting it to a water source that the problem he has. I'm guessing he lives in an apartment....and many appertment complexes won't let you wash a car on their property.

Last edited by Sir Nuke; 01-19-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Two bucket method at the local coin wash. I've done that for years on all my cars, works great.

One of the tricks is to wax before winter, this will help keep the winter road grime from sticking so bad.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
Grabber
Just a car guy

Drives: 2016 Durango R/T AWD
Waterless wash is your friend.

You do have to be careful using it if your car is really dirty. The more dirt on the car while using a waterless wash of any kind, the more you can scratch the paint.

I would find a touch free car wash at a gas station, and run it through that. Then take it back to your place and give it a good wipe down with some good detail spray.

Be mindful, those types of carwashes do have chemicals in them that can cause damage to your paint if used extensively. I would also try and find a hand car wash (usually 15-20 bucks though) and go that route once a week.

I know the feeling of not having access to a hose of any kind, it really blows man.
2014 5.0 - Ported CobraJet Manifold - SCJ Mono-Blade TB - Kooks 1-3/4" LT Headers - Kooks O/R H-pipe - Custom Intake - McLeod clutch line - Borla S-Type Axle Backs - AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ - GONE
05 GT - Sold
03 Cobra - Gone (Never Forgotten)
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
ROD_SS

Drives: 2013 1SS Camaro and a truck
I would suggest...two bucket wash at a car wash, or see if one of your friends would let you wash it at there place.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron10 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Two bucket method at the local coin wash. I've done that for years on all my cars, works great.

One of the tricks is to wax before winter, this will help keep the winter road grime from sticking so bad.
This is what I do too. It works perfectly.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
OBSSEST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
OP: Your post says that you have no hose access so you can't foam. Are you able to fill buckets and wash at all? If you mean that you have no access to water, that's a different story. In which case you need to go to a car wash like others have indicated.

It's my understanding that foaming, in general, is meant to provide added LUBRICATION more so than offering any sort of cleaning effect. The car wash soap isn't like a degreaser that's breaking up dirt, it's just sitting there.

With that in mind, you can accomplish the same thing by just dunking your clean mitt in several times and squeezing it out over the panels of the car. I generally squeeze out 3-4 full mitts over the top of the car before the mitt ever touches it.

If you really want to get crazy, just make up a second bucket of fresh soapy water and pour/throw it over the car before you start washing with your mitt (3 bucket method?). Your car doesn't know that the soapy water wasn't gently sprayed over it by a foaming gun.
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
optimum no rinse. you put it in a bucket of water and do one panel at a time. no swirl marks for me and i use it every time, 100% of the time, and i have a water hose. it's easier than conventional washes by a large margin, and it's much cheaper than conventional washes too. also at least 3,000% easier than going to a local car wash as others have suggested.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html

kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSSEST View Post
OP: Your post says that you have no hose access so you can't foam. Are you able to fill buckets and wash at all? If you mean that you have no access to water, that's a different story. In which case you need to go to a car wash like others have indicated.

It's my understanding that foaming, in general, is meant to provide added LUBRICATION more so than offering any sort of cleaning effect. The car wash soap isn't like a degreaser that's breaking up dirt, it's just sitting there.

With that in mind, you can accomplish the same thing by just dunking your clean mitt in several times and squeezing it out over the panels of the car. I generally squeeze out 3-4 full mitts over the top of the car before the mitt ever touches it.

If you really want to get crazy, just make up a second bucket of fresh soapy water and pour/throw it over the car before you start washing with your mitt (3 bucket method?). Your car doesn't know that the soapy water wasn't gently sprayed over it by a foaming gun.
Foaming of car soap increases the contact time of the soap and the paint. If there is no foaming action the soap goes on then rinses off in the same motion. Foam is thick and not runny like water so it sits on the paint longer. Also soap foam lifts dirt from the paint and carries the dirt upward away from the paint. But you are right it also lubes the surface too. Loose dirt and dust will lift from the paint but more stubborn stuck on dirt usually wont lift with foam alone.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #14
blk96gt

Drives: 11 SS(sold),96 Mustang,12 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
optimum no rinse. you put it in a bucket of water and do one panel at a time. no swirl marks for me and i use it every time, 100% of the time, and i have a water hose. it's easier than conventional washes by a large margin, and it's much cheaper than conventional washes too. also at least 3,000% easier than going to a local car wash as others have suggested.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html

Just started using ONR. Don't know why I waited so long to give it a try. No sign of any swirls or marring on my black car and it cut my wash/dry time in half.
blk96gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adams, foam gun, junkman