Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
ZL1 Reviews.

After reading all the recent reviews on the ZL1 it's pretty clear that they love the car even with it's "short comings".

One thing that surprised me as I was reading them was that due to the electronic mag ride shocks the ZL1 is banned from competing in most competitive bodies. While I don't think that it is a major issue because most ZL1 owners are probably not going to track it anyways it does raise one important question.

What's the point of doing a 1LE or rather what most would see it called a Z28?

One would think the purpose of that car as it is currently configured (1LE concept) would be to go head to head with the Boss 302. However if it isn't allowed to compete against it then what's the point? Do you think there's a market for it as is? Or if they were to do something would they be better off going with an LS7 and no Mag Ride? Then that raises the question of at that point the cost gets even closer to ZL1 territory and what's the point?

I dunno. Your thoughts?

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Very good questions, but I will be one to put ZL1 on the strip for sure!

I'm not buying a "Barely legal Supercar" to look good on the highway

However, I would like GM to officially announce the WARRANTY COVERAGE , knowing that ZL1's will be on the strip. You can bet, once you select one of the modes for track use, it will be logged by bigbrother!
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Personally I think the 1LE is too close to the ZL1. It should not have the mag shocks, it should just have coil overs big sways and big brakes. It doesn't need all the comforts of home. It needs to be striped as much as possible. The engine should be something new like a 5.7 DI high revving that puts out some where around 450HP.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
IMHO - I don't care these parts, like I've heard the same for CF brakes, aren't legal cor sanctioned races. GM isn't trying to make a race car out of ZL1 (or anything outside of COPO), so the argument that there's no use doesn't make too much sense to me. GM wants to make cars that can perform at the highest levels on the street for relatively common folk. When I read comments like some of these about parts that actually work it just makes me feel like using that kind of rational somehow makes thses parts less desirable or effective - like we're trying to take something away from the achievements of the designers and engineers. Cars like ZL1 make the average Joe look and feel good. Isn't that what a car should be about? Who in their right mind is really going to think a car from the dealer is going to be suitable for serious race-duty? Get a BIW and all your sanctioned parts and build a racecar.

JMVHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
One thing that surprised me as I was reading them was that due to the electronic mag ride shocks the ZL1 is banned from competing in most competitive bodies. While I don't think that it is a major issue because most ZL1 owners are probably not going to track it anyways it does raise one important question.

What's the point of doing a 1LE or rather what most would see it called a Z28?

One would think the purpose of that car as it is currently configured (1LE concept) would be to go head to head with the Boss 302. However if it isn't allowed to compete against it then what's the point? Do you think there's a market for it as is? Or if they were to do something would they be better off going with an LS7 and no Mag Ride? Then that raises the question of at that point the cost gets even closer to ZL1 territory and what's the point?

I dunno. Your thoughts?
As far as MR being banned...I recently read the 2012 SCCA rulebook stating that Active Suspensions are allowed in the Touring, Super Touring, and Showroom Stock classes. The 2011 NHRA doesn't mention active suspension limitations in any class the car could compete without heavy modification...I'm not completely sure where all this "banned" talk is coming from. But I'm far from an expert - and could be wrong.

I guess I don't care if it was, though, because I didn't buy the car to compete in order to make money. I only want to enjoy the car....at the track(s), and on the road. To me, stringent regulations aren't reason enough to wish for an inferior system on the ZL1.

As far as the 1LE or Z28 or whatever, if they make it...I still wouldn't go so far as to wish the MR were gone. It will only shine MORE if the car has less weight to contend with. If someone wants to race competitively - they will most likely be willing to pony up the $$$ to purchase REALLY, REALLY good, focused equipment; like supercar coilovers in terms of suspension. OEMs can't efficiently design for professionally (or amateur) competitive events...so it's a little unfair to hold it against them, imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
However, I would like GM to officially announce the WARRANTY COVERAGE , knowing that ZL1's will be on the strip. You can bet, once you select one of the modes for track use, it will be logged by bigbrother!
You think the computer will log PTM (for example) activations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Personally I think the 1LE is too close to the ZL1. It should not have the mag shocks, it should just have coil overs big sways and big brakes. It doesn't need all the comforts of home. It needs to be striped as much as possible. The engine should be something new like a 5.7 DI high revving that puts out some where around 450HP.
It would be more practical from a business standpoint to do more with what they've got existing...I'm not saying you're wrong, but that could be why the 1LE is essentially a "baby ZL1".

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
IMHO - I don't care these parts, like I've heard the same for CF brakes, aren't legal cor sanctioned races. GM isn't trying to make a race car out of ZL1 (or anything outside of COPO), so the argument that there's no use doesn't make too much sense to me. GM wants to make cars that can perform at the highest levels on the street for relatively common folk.
I think these (bold above) are good, important points to consider.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
v6sonoma

Hmm. I agree that GM isn't mainly concerned making a "track car". They are concerned with making cars people want to buy. I guess people buy the BOSS 302 like anything else just because it's cool, but do you think there would be a big enough market for the 1LE/Z28 and the ZL1?

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

9/26/09 Took delivery!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
IMHO - I don't care these parts, like I've heard the same for CF brakes, aren't legal cor sanctioned races. GM isn't trying to make a race car out of ZL1 (or anything outside of COPO), so the argument that there's no use doesn't make too much sense to me.
JMVHO.
Your statment goes against the advertisment by GM

"Built to be track-capable right from the showroom, and tested on some of the most rigorous tracks around the world, including the Nürburgring, where it clocked in at 7:41:23. This is the car every engineer dreams about building. Every racer dreams about tearing around the track. And every owner dreams about—a sports car that looks mean, but feels comfortable and docile enough for daily driving"

Perfecting the ZL1

Every part. Every function. Every feature. Every piece of the ZL1 has been rigorously put to the test. From the Milford Road Course to the drag strip to the Nürburgring, this car has been wired up, pounded on, checked, re-checked—it's the first model year and the 2012 ZL1 has already paid its dues.
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
Your statment goes against the advertisment by GM

"Built to be track-capable right from the showroom, and tested on some of the most rigorous tracks around the world, including the Nürburgring, where it clocked in at 7:41:23. This is the car every engineer dreams about building. Every racer dreams about tearing around the track. And every owner dreams about—a sports car that looks mean, but feels comfortable and docile enough for daily driving"

Perfecting the ZL1

Every part. Every function. Every feature. Every piece of the ZL1 has been rigorously put to the test. From the Milford Road Course to the drag strip to the Nürburgring, this car has been wired up, pounded on, checked, re-checked—it's the first model year and the 2012 ZL1 has already paid its dues.
Track Days and general fun on the track are different from competitive events, wouldn't you agree?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
tmandoug1
Deep Sea

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
Hmm. I agree that GM isn't mainly concerned making a "track car". They are concerned with making cars people want to buy. I guess people buy the BOSS 302 like anything else just because it's cool, but do you think there would be a big enough market for the 1LE/Z28 and the ZL1?
Lets jus tsay this, my wifey said I could get the Zl1 as long as when and if Z/28 comes out she gets that. So I am buying one thats for sure. Can you imagine opening the garage and seeing that.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
This car is built to be track capable but not raced at a sanctioned event.

There are safty, rules, and longevity issues to almost any production car if you really competitivly raced it.

The cost of brakes on a ZR1 would bankrupt me if I raced it ha ha.

The mag ride is a good thing for a dual purpose car for an ocational track day IMO.

That is all I ever do or anybody I know does. I would not buy a brand new car like this to competively race. I am too poor for that.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
v6sonoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
This car is built to be track capable but not raced at a sanctioned event.

There are safty, rules, and longevity issues to almost any production car if you really competitivly raced it.

The cost of brakes on a ZR1 would bankrupt me if I raced it ha ha.

The mag ride is a good thing for a dual purpose car for an ocational track day IMO.

That is all I ever do or anybody I know does. I would not buy a brand new car like this to competively race. I am too poor for that.

LOL

9/26/09 Took delivery!