Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 02-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Talking Orange Krate's EPIC Apex Skip Shift Eliminator Installation

**Installation of the APEX MOTORSPORTS Skip Shift Eliminator** DISCLAIMER: This is my personal experience installing the Apex Motorsports Skip Shift Eliminator (SSE) for my 2011 Camaro SS/RS. The SSE is a mod for manual 6 speed transmissions (Tremec 6060) that come from the factory with a skip shift program to improve gas mileage. The system is referred to as CAGS. You can read more about CAGS and all the technical jargon at other threads. My intent is to show novice mechanics how to simply plug and play this device. NOTE - Be careful when jacking up cars for under carriage access. Always use jack stands! Follow recommended safety precautions such as blocking wheels and setting emergency brake prior to lifting the car. This process is not shown in this Do It Yourself (DIY) article.

Since this is a very short DIY article and easy plug and play mod I decided to have some fun and see how precise I could make it with a minimal amount of time and effort.

Apex Motorsports "Skip Shift Eliminator" (SSE) showed up in my mailbox in a bubble wrap envelope of standard postal dimensions as seen in Figure 1.

Figure 2 is the instruction sheet included with the SSE. Not a lot of information going on there. So I decided to post my own photos. There are other threads and even a Youtube video of sorts that shows the install, but I wanted to document Orange Krate's mod install anyway.

Figure 3 shows the SSE in comparison to the fine quality Apex Motorsports decal included in the envelope.

Figure 4 is a simple tool quiz. Which screw driver is the most appropriate size to use for the install of the SSE? A, B, C, or D?

Figure 5 is the correct answer. C is best because it is small, will easily fit up into the tight transmission tunnel area and the blade will lift the snapping connector's tab up enough to allow the connection to be uncoupled. Be VERY CAREFUL during this procedure. You do not want to break the plastic tab or cut a wire. It is practically a BLIND move because of the location of the plastic tab. Be patient and gentle!

Figure 6 shows the clean APEX MOTORSPORTS decal in relation to the area where the plug and play high quality SSE will be inserted into the wiring harness inline. This shot is taken from the front of the car looking back and up on the drivers side of the transmission. The 2 RED "X"s indicate plugs that are incorrect and are not for installation of the SSE. If you plug into these you might get a mechanical or electrical surprise!

Figure 7 is a closer shot looking up at the drivers side of the transmission. The "YES" arrow is where the plug and play high quality APEX MOTORSPORTS SSE will eventually plug into.

Figure 8 is the actual CAGS connection that we are going to disconnect and insert the SSE into.

Figure 9 is the disconnected CAGS male end where the female end of the SSE will be fitted to. Talk sweetly to it.

Figure 10 shows the new APEX MOTORSPORTS high quality and much sought after SSE now firmly attached and fitted onto the male CAGS connection. It is tight. Be gentle. Keep talking nice.

Figure 11 shows the new SSE now connected into the transmission electronic female receptacle. We are almost done. Now just finish neatly tucking in the wiring loom and making sure there are no wires that are pinched, squeezed, loose or otherwise.

Figure 12 shows the finished installation and the final obligatory APEX MOTORSPORTS decal and yet one more mod completed on the one and only Orange Krate!

I sincerely hope that this photo collage may help someone who needs a quick photo reference to complete their own SSE mod. Be safe lowering your car, have fun and enjoy the SSE. See you on the road.

Attached Images
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
Camaro Fred
2012 ZL1 VIN 150

Drives: 1973 RS LT Camaro 4 Speed
These pictures helped me out. I had ordered an Apex skip shift eliminator and it was real easy to do with these photos. Thanks!
Camaro Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Fred View Post
These pictures helped me out. I had ordered an Apex skip shift eliminator and it was real easy to do with these photos. Thanks!
He did a great job with this post. Glad you found it helpful.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Wender

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Hey guys, help me out with this? I looked at your pictures and went to install, but my underside looks different, let me know if you can help at all. thanks.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wender View Post
Hey guys, help me out with this? I looked at your pictures and went to install, but my underside looks different, let me know if you can help at all. thanks.
You have a totally different transmission in the 4th gen. Yours is the white plug in the top right of both pictures.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
Wender

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
You have a totally different transmission in the 4th gen. Yours is the white plug in the top right of both pictures.

Ok awesome thank you!
Old 08-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
Jason@Phastek

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Jason@Phastek
Nice Install Write Up!!!
Jason@Phastek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@Phastek Performance View Post
Nice Install Write Up!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
I just ordered your Skip Shift Eliminator today, my question is are the red wires on your Skip Shift Eliminator there for a reason? Thanks
Old 05-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53 View Post
I just ordered your Skip Shift Eliminator today, my question is are the red wires on your Skip Shift Eliminator there for a reason? Thanks
Thanks for your order. PM sent.

Tags
apex motorsports, cags, skip shift eliminator