Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
supercharger path? maybe?

I have been back and forth about supercharging for a while. Maybe I am ready now? No real need, but it's never about need!

I had Livernois do Kooks long tubes, 2C cam, roto fab, and tune about a year ago. I was worried about dropping a trans or blowing the engine so I didn't go supercharger.

Here we are now. Seems like most folks are saying the engine is fine (L99 for me) around 600hp, as is the trans. Opinions vary there and I get there is risk of imploding something under boost. I hardly ever drive the car. 11K in over 2 years with two or three trips to the strip in that time just to see how things would go. Not going to be a drag car, no slicks or drag radials in my future but would likely go back again just for the fun of it.

I've added some BMR suspension components recently: trailing arms w/ bushings, sway bars, end links, pro cradle bushings, toe rods, upper control arm bushing, strut tower brace. I think my suspension is good.

If I go supercharger, figure might as well do a stall as well to get rid of the little surge I have from the cam. Assuming all I'm missing is axles and drive shaft? Other than that, should I be good? Any good in porting the heads as well?

Talked a bit with a shop that recommended Whipple around 10psi to get me right at 600 rwhp. Thoughts?
Old 06-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
rdblan2

shameless 24 hour bump for opinions...
Old 06-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
camslambam
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS, 06 SRT10 Ram
The trans will hold 650rwhp+.
The stock bottom end will hold 700-800rwhp.

It all depends on your tune and your fuel. A good safety feature for high boost is meth. Make sure you have enough injectors and you have good fuel.

I've been at my level for 4500 abused miles running 89 octane through my motor and meth. Trans has been getting a little hot lately but a trans cooler will solve that.

A whipple at 10psi will give you more than 600rwhp. Go tires before a stall. A stall is going to make you spin like crazy.
camslambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
I'd get a stall. I don't think you can really put a number on how much the motor and trans will hold some people have blown stock motors. Should it live at 600 rwhp? Yes it will be fine . There has been more than a couple car burn up the 6l80 and some like Jamie have made it live so the trans questions is still in there air.
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
rdblan2

Thanks for the opinions.

Thoughts on porting the heads? Seems like that's a mixed bag as well from the reading I've done here. Looks like some folks say it's a waste and others do it. Wish I would have done it when I got the cam and LS3 conversion.

And yes, definitely want a trans cooler w/ the stall for the cheap insurance.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
I wouldn't for what it cost. You could use the money other places on the car. Not much to be had with the stock heads they flow great like they are.
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I wouldn't waste the money on heads. I still run my stock ones. Ted told even told me not to do it.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdblan2 View Post
I have been back and forth about supercharging for a while. Maybe I am ready now? No real need, but it's never about need!

I had Livernois do Kooks long tubes, 2C cam, roto fab, and tune about a year ago. I was worried about dropping a trans or blowing the engine so I didn't go supercharger.

Here we are now. Seems like most folks are saying the engine is fine (L99 for me) around 600hp, as is the trans. Opinions vary there and I get there is risk of imploding something under boost. I hardly ever drive the car. 11K in over 2 years with two or three trips to the strip in that time just to see how things would go. Not going to be a drag car, no slicks or drag radials in my future but would likely go back again just for the fun of it.

I've added some BMR suspension components recently: trailing arms w/ bushings, sway bars, end links, pro cradle bushings, toe rods, upper control arm bushing, strut tower brace. I think my suspension is good.

If I go supercharger, figure might as well do a stall as well to get rid of the little surge I have from the cam. Assuming all I'm missing is axles and drive shaft? Other than that, should I be good? Any good in porting the heads as well?

Talked a bit with a shop that recommended Whipple around 10psi to get me right at 600 rwhp. Thoughts?

You seem like you have a good plan. As long as you stop there the drivetrain should last as well. Especially since you don't beat the car on a regular basis. Start with a blower and see how you like it. You can always add the converter later. Unless you really want the most out of the set up on the track the converter isn't really necessary with an A6(such a low first gear). You won't have traction with a blower, imagine that 10 fold.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
rdblan2

Thanks again for the opinions. Looks like I'll pass on porting the heads then and put that cash into axles or drive shaft.

I guess I'll need to look into cost for the converter. I get the traction will be gone with the whipple and stock tires, just hoping to get rid of the little cam surge I have. Have never driven or been in a car with an aftermarket stall, so not sure if it's worth it for me or not.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
TriGun

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS Ice Silver
2 suggestions if want to a supercharger.

First, do the L99 to LS3 conversion if you have L99. AFM lifters will not hold under boost.

Second, remove the cats. They will melt and chock.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
TriGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGun View Post
2 suggestions if want to a supercharger.

First, do the L99 to LS3 conversion if you have L99. AFM lifters will not hold under boost.

Second, remove the cats. They will melt and chock.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
Good Suggestions but Boost does not affect AFM Lifters, RPM Does.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
East Coast Supercharging

Drives: 8 second C5 Drag Car, C6 Road racer
Feel free to give us a call if you wish to discuss this or any options in length. 609-752-0321

Doug @ ECS
East Coast Supercharging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
rdblan2

I should have mentioned I have already done the LS3 conversion as well. Thanks for the thoughts folks.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #14
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdblan2 View Post
Thanks again for the opinions. Looks like I'll pass on porting the heads then and put that cash into axles or drive shaft.

I guess I'll need to look into cost for the converter. I get the traction will be gone with the whipple and stock tires, just hoping to get rid of the little cam surge I have. Have never driven or been in a car with an aftermarket stall, so not sure if it's worth it for me or not.
Axles AND driveshaft. You will need both.
RPM Level 7 4L80e + Coan Converter
Hendrix 9" Rear Axle + 3.50 Gear
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Fore Fuel System, Bogarts + Hoosier Slicks
Pfadt Drag Pack Suspension
My Build Thread | Best Pass To Date
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote