Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
RJTC11SS

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10
Exclamation Rattling in the back

Hey everybody! I don't know if this is the right part of the forum to post, but I think I'm pretty close, haha.

Anyway, I have a 2011 2SS and have this constant rattling coming from what I think is the passenger side rear side of the car. I only hear it when I go over bumpy areas, which makes me think it's a suspension issue. My question(s) is/are as follows:

1) Is there anyone else out there that has the same problem, and if you do or did, have you had it looked at and/or fixed?

2) Are there any bulletins out there for the car that might explain this?

3) Is the suspension just noisy and should I accept the fact that it is?

Many thanks!
RJTC11SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
hmm. i just noticed this happening on my car as well this week. I recently had my car lowered and was wandering if it was something with the install. Read through this thread. Some have found the culprit to be a rock stuck in the control arm. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234811
Old 07-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Double check the sump where the battery is. Maybe something fell in there and is loose and rattling around in there, like a few nuts or bolts. It has happened.

You can also pull the trunk panel loose on that side and stick your hand way down in there and see if something got loose down inside the quarter panel. A magnetic wand type contraption might help this.

I mention these just in case it is not the suspension. If it is carry on, nothing to see here.

T.

PS. If you find a note from a pissed off mechanic/friend/ex-girlfriend at least you found the culprit.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
MOCamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, IOM/IOM
I had a rattle that turned out to be several small stones caught behind the lower lip on the rear valance. It was hard to get them out of there too. Good luck with your detective work!
MOCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
seddon

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Check your rear dash board. I had the same rattle, stuck some paper towel to see if it will help and solved the problem. Just gotta find a permanent fix.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
I've got a similar rattle in mine. It's too heavy sounding to be an exhaust pipe or tip rattling. Comes from the passenger rear side and is most pronounced over sharp bumps like manhole covers that are lower or higher than the road surface. It doesn't make the rattle if only the driver side rear tire hits the bump--only when the passenger side rear tire hits the bump.

I suspected something loose in the trunk so I took out my air compressor and the styrofoam block it was in, tightened the battery, removed the carpet and the spare tire well cover and it still makes the noise. Next step I guess is to remove the rear seat altogether, then try stuffing something in the rear speaker tray to see if that's it. Just an annoying process of elimination.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
1969to2010
The Man in Black

Drives: 1969 Camaro 2010 Camaro 1SS
Check to make sure your end links are tight