Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
Renegade
Banned

Drives: Camaro SS Edition
Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
Is Apple's iPhone 5 Boring or Exciting?

A few heralded the new device as a great leap forward. What's more, the iPhone 5 doesn't have several features that are becoming standard across other smartphones. Those features, such as ways to pay with your phone or even bigger screens, are generating strong reviews from consumers and technology critics.

Still, the technology gaps are getting more attention. Here's a sampling of what the iPhone 5, available Sept. 21, is missing:

Digital Payments: Some new Google Inc. (GOOG) Android phones, including the Galaxy Nexus, and coming Windows Phones have a near-field communication, or NFC, chip that powers digital-wallet services. They allow users to pay for goods at certain retailers by tapping their phones. The new iPhone still lacks NFC and has taken only small steps toward payments with a new digital-coupon and loyalty-card service called Passbook.

Touch to Share: Most new Android phones, including Samsung Electronics Co.'s (005930.SE) Galaxy S III, can share media by touching the devices together (again thanks to NFC). The phones can share photos, videos, contacts and Web pages this way, as well as information between apps. The iPhone can't (although there are third-party iPhone apps that enable some similar features).

Dynamic Home Screens: The iPhone is sticking to a home screen of static icons that people must tap to load. Lots of Android phones offer more customizable modules that push information that is otherwise buried in apps.

[More from WSJ.com: What to Do With a Workplace Whiner]

These Android widgets let consumers see content like weather or Facebook updates on their home screen. Rather than see an icon for their email application, say, people can see their actual emails. Windows Phones, including one expected from Nokia Corp. (NOK) later this year, offer home-screen tiles that provide something similar. (The iPhone does push some notifications—like Facebook updates—to the unlock screen, which is a first step.)

Face Unlock: Many new Android phones use facial recognition to allow people to gain access to their phone just by looking at it. IPhone users are still swiping screens with their fingers to unlock their devices.

Even Bigger Screens: While larger than the last iPhone, the iPhone 5's four-inch screen is smaller than some phones on the market, such as the Samsung Galaxy S III, which is 4.8 inches. Indeed, phones with screens as big as 5 inches are hitting the market.

Wireless Charging: Nokia's new phone running the Windows Phone 8 operating system can be charged without a cord. All you have to do is place the device on a pad that supports a wireless charging standard called Qi. The iPhone 5 has a new charger that is much smaller, but it still has a cord.

So is it just hype? or the best thing since sliced bread you be the judge..
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
-Some of the above "missing" features are intentional and most of the other phone companies out there would give their first born to have 1/2 of the features/quality and especially customer base that Apple has.
-Digital payments can still be done with s small attachment to the IPhone
-Apps CAN allow the Sharing on the IPhone as you touched on
-Home screen is customizable enough for me and quite simple IMO
-I bet I can still swipe as fast or faster then it takes to recognize my face....if it's dark what are you going to do? turn on an external light and stand by it so you can unlock your phone? HA swipe FTW
-4" will be an ideal size screen IMO. Anything 4.8" or 5" screens inside an overall larger casing of the phone will just seem too bulky for a pocket IMO. Apple has it right
-Wireless charging would be nice but you STILL have to buy the charger to set the phone on, and oh by the way......THAT has to be plugged in anyways. LOL

-With the significant updates and features of the new IPhone.....WELL WORTH THE $ AND BUYING!!!!

Watch this and how could you NOT agree that Apple is still the cats meow :P
http://www.apple.com/iphone/#video
Old 09-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Renegade
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
I believe it's $199 with plan and $600 with no plan right?
Old 09-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Don't care :P If I don't get orders (Army) to somewhere that the IPhone will not be supported on a network...I'm buying one!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Apple has something no one else has and that is the integration of all of it's platforms into a seamless system. As a business owner Apple products save me a lot of time and aggravation which is much more important than gimmicky features.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
Edwin320

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Convertible A10
For the longest time, Apple insisted that a screen phone over 3.5" wouldn't sell because it was too big. They said it was "just right" the way it was. After the market clamored for larger screens, and after several Android phones sold very well with a larger screen, Apple upped the size of the screen. Now that it has a 4" screen, how can it possibly still be "just right"? Either they were wrong before, or they were wrong now. Which is it? That being said, I'm not an iPhone hater. I have an iPhone4, and a Galaxy SIII. The SIII looks like a much more modern phone, even though the construction of the iPhone feels better (albeit more prone to breakage). The iPhone5 looks just like the 4/4S, and the incrementally updated hardware just doesn't do it for me.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
If you look at the dimensions and side by side of the iPhone 5 & 4S, you'll clearly see Apple designed a phone with a bigger screen, without making it the size of a shoe. IMO, they stayed in the sweet spot for how big a phone should be. I think that's what they mean, I would HATE to have your typical 4" + android phone, it's too big for my taste.

I carry my phone in my front pocket, the bigger the phone, the more uncomfortable I'm going to be. That's why I like my 3.5" screen. I wouldn't mind the 5, but I just bought my 4S a few months ago. I'll stay with it.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
Renegade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin320 View Post
For the longest time, Apple insisted that a screen phone over 3.5" wouldn't sell because it was too big. They said it was "just right" the way it was. After the market clamored for larger screens, and after several Android phones sold very well with a larger screen, Apple upped the size of the screen. Now that it has a 4" screen, how can it possibly still be "just right"? Either they were wrong before, or they were wrong now. Which is it? That being said, I'm not an iPhone hater. I have an iPhone4, and a Galaxy SIII. The SIII looks like a much more modern phone, even though the construction of the iPhone feels better (albeit more prone to breakage). The iPhone5 looks just like the 4/4S, and the incrementally updated hardware just doesn't do it for me.
Sounds like your not very easily impressed..i say give it a month or two to work out the kinks and sure you'll fall inlove with it.

As for the screen size Apple and Samsung got this whole lawsuit thing going on..for them to copy the size screen as the Galaxy is kinda, putting..their own foot in their mouth don't ya think?
Old 09-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
Edwin320

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
Sounds like your not very easily impressed..i say give it a month or two to work out the kinks and sure you'll fall inlove with it.

As for the screen size Apple and Samsung got this whole lawsuit thing going on..for them to copy the size screen as the Galaxy is kinda, putting..their own foot in their mouth don't ya think?
I don't car about gimmicks like face recognition, but when people say iOS doesn't "need" quad-core CPUs, NFC chips, expandable storage, etc, I get the same reaction when people tell me I don't "need" a V8.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
HookemHorns

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Apple has something no one else has and that is the integration of all of it's platforms into a seamless system. As a business owner Apple products save me a lot of time and aggravation which is much more important than gimmicky features.
What he said...not a business owner but I am neck deep in technology everyday of the year.
HookemHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Exactly. AND Apple already won the suit. Besides that....the "size" of a screen is not copying anything and does not infringe any patents so that's a ridiculous statement to insinuate that Apple is stealing something Samsung did when Apple is head and shoulders the most innovative, revolutionary tech company...EVER. Oh yeah, and the fact that ehy have well over $100 billion in CASH reserves on their balance sheet shows that they are the absolute best run and managed company in the world. No one argues this that has any sense of reality.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #12
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I mentioned the change in adaptors for the Apple in the other thread.

Found this article on a new Nokia that has wireless charging. I found the following quote funny from Apple's marketing boss a little ironic.

“Having to create another device you have to plug into the wall is actually, for most situations, more complicated,” Schiller told AllThingsD’s Ina Fried.

http://www.geekwire.com/2012/apple-w...%28GeekWire%29
Old 09-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
It's boring and pricey. If they'd done something innovative I'd be in. I'll end up with a 5S by the time I upgrade, but I can't justify the cost for the new one when it's hardly different and needs an adaptor for all of my other stuff.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #14
Renegade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin320 View Post
I don't car about gimmicks like face recognition, but when people say iOS doesn't "need" quad-core CPUs, NFC chips, expandable storage, etc, I get the same reaction when people tell me I don't "need" a V8.
I see your point. But, if your a "Geek" and embrace technology you'll be pre-ordering your iPhone tomorrow and calling all your friends and mom to brag about it.