Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
viper blue
Troy

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs custom viper blue
Death wish?

Just curious about your thoughts from the time I got my license( and before ) I have been a gear head obsessed with power but back then 300 hp was a lot and the car weighed 4 ton. I have a 16 year old who has his licence he knows better than to ask to drive my camaro. seems like a lot of power for a young driver. Or have I just turned into my dad?
viper blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
I have been driving cars that have a considerable amount of power since I learned to drive 4 years ago. When I get older I would only let my kid drive a car with that much power if I trust them. You have to know to not abuse the power these cars can have. I have driven everything from a H1 to a Corvette to a tiny little 4 cylinder. I have never been in an accident or had a ticket.

I would say only let him drive it if you trust him. Have him drive it with you in it and once he proves to you that he's responsible the. He can take it out.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper blue View Post
Just curious about your thoughts from the time I got my license( and before ) I have been a gear head obsessed with power but back then 300 hp was a lot and the car weighed 4 ton. I have a 16 year old who has his licence he knows better than to ask to drive my camaro. seems like a lot of power for a young driver. Or have I just turned into my dad?
Teach him to drive well, and you'll have no worries.

My Dad let me drive his '79 Camaro after I had about a year of driving experience under my belt...so I was 17? I never forgot that first drive...looking out over the hood, feeling the car shake as I turned the engine over.

I knew what I was driving, and I took it easy...it sounds like your son is similar, if he's never asked to drive it because he knows you'll say "no". It means he knows it's something special to you.

Anyways, that first drive is what led me to my own Camaro, eventually.

It also made me the only "qualified" driver of that car in the house for a good while. No one else could park it or pull it out of the garage to his standards.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
Ice Demon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
If its a manual I wouldn't let him drive but if he is a good driver I say let him drive it as long as your in the car. And don't forget to complain every 5 sec lol

Ice Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
Quote:

Do you find yourself doing the things your dad then

Just sounds like to me you want to keep your son around. Teach him to drive whatever responsibly as I know you will - I sent one daughter off to college in a GTO and one in a G8, never worried about either one. Now I am worried about them because as of late they have started to refer to me as OLE DAD lol.
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
it depends on the driver. driving is a skill, and different people posses different levels of it. and like with every other skill, you can teach anybody enough to get by, but you can't make everybody proficient at it. everybody just isn't wired the same.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
viper blue
Troy

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs custom viper blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Teach him to drive well, and you'll have no worries.

My Dad let me drive his '79 Camaro after I had about a year of driving experience under my belt...so I was 17? I never forgot that first drive...looking out over the hood, feeling the car shake as I turned the engine over.

I knew what I was driving, and I took it easy...it sounds like your son is similar, if he's never asked to drive it because he knows you'll say "no". It means he knows it's something special to you.

Anyways, that first drive is what led me to my own Camaro, eventually.

It also made me the only "qualified" driver of that car in the house for a good while. No one else could park it or pull it out of the garage to his standards.
wow you really hit home with that I too remember that feeling as a kid won't never forget it Thanks !!!!
viper blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I would worry more about peer pressure getting him into doing something with the car he knows he shouldn't do more than anything.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
Bobaloo
Member "O'l Farts"

Drives: 2012 SS Coupe/Automatic/Sunroof
Every student is diferent no matter what age, some will use common sense and some not. I built an experimental aircraft and my oldest received his license in it (18). About the time he was ready to take his long cross country solo I knew he wouldn't screw around to the point of killing himself. I imagine he played a bit but I knew he wouldn't go overboard..............and he never did. As his father you'll know if he will use common sense and if you aren't sure - DON"T.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
It's better be safe than sorry , and it may also be that you just turn into your father ( most of the time is a good thing ) , just let him drive ONLY WITH YOU ON BOARD .
No buts no ifs , no nothing else .
Sepcially prom night and stuff like that .
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #11
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
I think it all depends on how responsible he is. I had my V6 at 18 then my SS at 20. Only one ticket and that was in the V6 for 59 in a 45 so nothing major. *Knock on wood* over a year driving the SS with not being pulled over a single time.

Just let him drive it with you in the passenger seat and I assure you he will treat the car right!
Old 01-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
Ertter11 (Silver Bullet)

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS M6 RRM NPP Exhaust
I learned to drive my brothers v6 mustang, but when I got my Camaro when I was 17 my dad rarely let me drive it at first. He was always in the passenger seat every time even though I already had my license. He made sure I was a careful driver and he taught me well. Also my father is a police officer so it looks bad on him if I'm caught/ pulled over for doing something stupid in my Camaro. Of course it wouldn't be worth it. Hope this helps some. Just as long as ur by his side and teach him to be a good driver. You should have now worries. I am currently 19 right now and I haven't been pulled over or been in a accident once.

Last edited by Ertter11 (Silver Bullet); 01-19-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Ertter11 (Silver Bullet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
wow you really hit home with that I too remember that feeling as a kid won't never forget it Thanks !!!!

Glad I could help.
It's hard to forget such a big grin.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #14
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
If you trust him let him drive it, in the end it's just a car don't let it ever be more than that.

Saying that I was an idiot at 16 and honestly believe at 22 there is no way any kid should have a license at 16 because they and I believed they are invincible and like said above, peer pressure and just the feeling that there is peer pressure drives people to do stupid stuff.

But hey, I turned out fine haha.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote