Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
YoungWithACamaro2SS

Drives: 6.2L V8 Camaro SS Automatic
How much HP can I get on a stock L99 Block b4 needing to change the block to a 427

I have a stock L99 Camaro 2012. To make it into a 427 do I have to swap out the block? Or can my stock block be upgraded to be a 427 with upgrades to the stock 376 block? Also how much Horsepower can be upgraded with a Supercharge kit on a 376 cu in block is there a limit to it? Before having to upgrade to a bigger block. Ima rookie when compared to some of you guys who been in modding for years so I appreciate any help!
YoungWithACamaro2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
How much money you got, and what are the other requirements(driveability, street legal, ect)? They've built 1.8L 4 cylinder engines to make 800 - 1000HP. The engines don't last too long, they aren't street legal, and are exspensive as hell. You can do just about anything with the right amount of money. As for as strocking the LS3 out to a 427, I don't know, but I would say it would be better to swap out the block too.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Bomino

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Generally You can get to around 550rwhp+/- without touching the block or its internals with f/I and Bolt ons.. Past that you want forged internals for durability. Then the sky's the limit. But $$$
Old 04-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
YoungWithACamaro2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVX View Post
How much money you got, and what are the other requirements(driveability, street legal, ect)? They've built 1.8L 4 cylinder engines to make 800 - 1000HP. The engines don't last too long, they aren't street legal, and are exspensive as hell. You can do just about anything with the right amount of money. As for as strocking the LS3 out to a 427, I don't know, but I would say it would be better to swap out the block too.
I would like to keep the original block, since I know getting a new block would be $$$ which I'm not willing to spend. I rather just keep the same block but upgrade it. But first I wanted to get some info as to how much HP i can get with the stock block if i supercharge it without having to change it to a bigger block due to the high cost. I guess I'm trying to be as efficient as I can but have a decent amount of HP.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
YoungWithACamaro2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomino View Post
Generally You can get to around 550rwhp+/- without touching the block or its internals with f/I and Bolt ons.. Past that you want forged internals for durability. Then the sky's the limit. But $$$
Wow seriously?, yea I guess I'd like to get more bang for my buck lol. I'm not too crazy about getting 800+ HP about 600 HP would be fine for me so what would get around 550 rwhp without touching the block? CAI?, Full Exhaust?, Long Tube Headers?, Tune?
Old 04-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
Aqua_Blue_SS

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6
I have a maggie with roto fab intake. Everything else is stock. Dyno'd at 560 the other day. Needs headers tho.
Aqua_Blue_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
YoungWithACamaro2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtyZ View Post
I have a maggie with roto fab intake. Everything else is stock. Dyno'd at 560 the other day. Needs headers tho.
Hmmmm... I would have thought you needed more upgrades when getting a supercharged intake manifold. Not even a tune? isn't it bad for the engine if you don't custom tune it? Fuel injectors, bored heads/pistons, pulleys etc.?
Old 04-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
There's the block, then there's the rotating assembly.....

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
The LS3 block is a decent setup, the internals are the major disadvantage. With a forged rotating assembly I'd take on to 700whp and feel confident. Past that, I get nervous with 4 bolt heads, major reason I have an LSX in my car. If you want 600 crank hp, not wheel, you can leave the internals alone. Supporting mods aren't even needed really, 500whp on a blower car is easy to hit without an intake or headers.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungWithACamaro2SS View Post
I have a stock L99 Camaro 2012. To make it into a 427 do I have to swap out the block? Or can my stock block be upgraded to be a 427 with upgrades to the stock 376 block? Also how much Horsepower can be upgraded with a Supercharge kit on a 376 cu in block is there a limit to it? Before having to upgrade to a bigger block. Ima rookie when compared to some of you guys who been in modding for years so I appreciate any help!
What is your budget first of all?
What are your goals? What do you want to accomplish?
Answer those things first then you can get pointed in a direction.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
What is your budget first of all?
What are your goals? What do you want to accomplish?
Answer those things first then you can get pointed in a direction.
Agreed. You need a master plan. You can't just start slapping things on. It's a whole daisy chain. 1 part effects the next. Some good reading material.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/g...e/viewall.html

Blowers and blocks are big money, a lot of time, and lots of bumps in the road. You need to plan carefully.
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
You seem very young and if you plan on racing that car... I would figure out how to actually handle 430hp first... and slowing upgrade as you learn your car! Sky is the limit when you have money, if you get full boltons, heads, cam, your gonna have more power then you know what to do with! Not to mention another handfull of issues like when will you break something with all that power!

This is not a hobby to jump into with both feet, take your time and learn! I have been at this for 16 years and I still dont know enough! I would start with your basic boltons and your gonna be suprized how much faster that camaro gets!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #13
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
set a plan in motion. dont do like i did and just do what ever u got money for atm.Pick a plan and stick with it . u can find alot of diff build on here and find out what suits u.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #14
POS Dakota

Drives: GMs and Chryslers
I would enjoy driving the car as is and build a new engine from scratch with whatever you can scrape up here and there over time. Then spend a weekend swapping it in.

I've found that in my case, doing it any other way screws up the planning process since the whole plan is based around keeping the car driveable the whole time. The original plan never materializes to my satisfaction like that.

Now I build a complete separate engine if I feel the need to do something substantial.
I can still drive the car and get it done.

My eventual goal with my car is a simple, large cube n/a combo that maintains a streetable powerband, but can still kick ass on the track. And it's very doable from what I've seen.
POS Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote