Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Kosova

Drives: Supra searching :]
Question about F1 Procharger

I've been looking for a procharger system for a month or two now. I was wondering if it was possible to run the F1 blower on the ls3 until I upgrade the motor in 2-3 yrs. Only thing I could see myself going with is a 427 LSX. I was planning on getting the D1 but it seems pointless to waste money on that when im going to have to upgrade to a F1 anyways in the near future.

This car needs to be a reliable daily driver with that blower until I do the motor. The current motor is a stock ls3 with LT headers w/ cats and a full exhaust system.

I've read that I would need the race bov and like a 5.00 pulley to keep it at 10 psi since its a stock block. Any input and suggestions is greatly appreciated!
Kosova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
BDON_DBB

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS D1SC
I run the d1, im currently making 697rwhp @9.5lbs and other supporting mods. I daily drive my car andand shes been very reliable thankfully. From what ive read and who ive talked to the d1 will get u just under 1000rwhp after extra support mods and upping that boost. Now thats where you ask yourself. Do you wanna break 1000rwhp or not. LoL. Im in your position but with a d1. Waiting on a motor build but trying to make as much as safley possible. Im sire you can run that f1 into a stock ls3 but i can imaginge that extra volume of air will get at it sooner or later.
BDON_DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
Kosova

From what iv seen getting the D1 over 800whp is very hard to do even with a 427 lsx. You'll end up with belt slippage and maxing out the blower as some people have gone through on this site. That's why I was thinking why not just start with a F1 since im going to swap the motor in the future. Just want to make sure that it will be daily driveable till then.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
BDON_DBB

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS D1SC
If thats your thoughts, then be a man and get the f1.
BDON_DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #5
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
427 is too big for a D1SC, you'll need an F1 to break 800. You could definitely use the F1 on a stock motor, but it will be well out of its efficiency range for sure.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
Kosova

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
427 is too big for a D1SC, you'll need an F1 to break 800. You could definitely use the F1 on a stock motor, but it will be well out of its efficiency range for sure.
What do you think an F1 could make on a stock ls3 on the lowest boost, which im assuming is 10 psi with the 5" pulley. And what is the most efficient F1-series blower? F1-A-C-D-X? I know the R has heat issues.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
Irnwkrkev

Drives: 2011 SS/RS LS3
2-3 years in a daily driver isn't "near future". Why put all those miles on an F1 and not be able to use it? The re-sale on superchargers isn't too bad and it sounds like you could get your use out of a D1 (and it'll be more efficient... i.e. faster) until you're ready to upgrade.
Irnwkrkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
The most efficient will be the bigger blower, it can move more air per revolution, if I remember that's the F1-X. If you wastegate an F1 you can use a small pulley to keep it efficient, but bleed off the excess.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Kosova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irnwkrkev View Post
2-3 years in a daily driver isn't "near future". Why put all those miles on an F1 and not be able to use it? The re-sale on superchargers isn't too bad and it sounds like you could get your use out of a D1 (and it'll be more efficient... i.e. faster) until you're ready to upgrade.
I understand that but i dont see the point in basically spending double the money on a blower when i can get it out of the way the first time. My intentions were never to max out a D1. I'd be fine with 600whp on the stock ls3 with an F1 till I do the motor
Old 04-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
Ice Demon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Definitely go with a F1 series procharger. Its cheaper to go with a F1 series head unit first. I am putting a F1-X on my car. I plan on running 10-11psi plus meth until I can get a LSX motor built. Plus you will be making more hp and tq per pound of boost than a D1SC.

Ice Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
I recommend starting with the F1....I was going to go with the F1C once i ran out of air on my little D1SC on the LSX427.

I know you said you were interested in buying it off me but i have a bunch of others interested also.

The reason i chose the F1C over the X is because this car is set up more for road course then the strip and i didnt need the big X. I also did not want to hack into my shock tower to get it to fit. I think there are some out there that did not have to cut into the shock tower however. I also did not want to go cog drive since i will road course the car. I figured the F1C with 12 rib setup and 900 rwhp would be fun.

I have changed plans and going with a custom fabricated twin PTE6766 turbos. This should give me plenty of options up to 1100-1200 rwhp if i get bored at 1000.

The rest of my drive line has been built for this....
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
Ice Demon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
I recommend starting with the F1....I was going to go with the F1C once i ran out of air on my little D1SC on the LSX427.

I know you said you were interested in buying it off me but i have a bunch of others interested also.

The reason i chose the F1C over the X is because this car is set up more for road course then the strip and i didnt need the big X. I also did not want to hack into my shock tower to get it to fit. I think there are some out there that did not have to cut into the shock tower however. I also did not want to go cog drive since i will road course the car. I figured the F1C with 12 rib setup and 900 rwhp would be fun.

I have changed plans and going with a custom fabricated twin PTE6766 turbos. This should give me plenty of options up to 1100-1200 rwhp if i get bored at 1000.

The rest of my drive line has been built for this....
The D1SC would be perfect for my setup now as long as I did not want to go bigger. It just makes since to go big first . As long as you plan on shooting for 1000+ hp.

It makes since what you are saying about the F1-C over the F1-X for your application. My car will be used for drag racing and rolling racing. So I need the big boy. I consider a F2 but I wasn't quite sure about a F2 on a stock L99. Also consider Twin Turbos but a F1 series procharger is cheaper plus it rain a lot when live so twins are not really practical. It will be my DD for atleast untill its time for a LSX.

As soon as get the F1-X in the car I'm going to start getting the rest of the drive line ready for more boost.

Ice Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
Kosova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Demon View Post
As soon as get the F1-X in the car I'm going to start getting the rest of the drive line ready for more boost.
Exactly what I was planning to do. I didnt see a point in getting a D1sc when im going to be going over 800, might as well get the F1 first so i dont have to pay twice.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
Kosova

Just cant decide between the F1-C or the X