Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
Splat

Drives: 2012 1SS M6 IOM
Z/28 Brake Question

I was looking at some pitchers to the Z/28, when i noticed that the calipers look like the ZL1's.... Am i seeing this right?

Did Chevy reuse the ZL1 calipers and just add carbon ceramic rotors?
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Unrulie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Cyber Grey
I think bigger
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT VR/RS CGM Rally's
Z/28 has a bigger caliper than the ZL1
camaro2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
I was looking at some pitchers to the Z/28, when i noticed that the calipers look like the ZL1's.... Am i seeing this right?

Did Chevy reuse the ZL1 calipers and just add carbon ceramic rotors?
No. I'm sure the resemblance is because they are made by the same company.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...from the GM website...

"Camaro Z/28 features lightweight Brembo® carbon Ceramic Matrix™ rotors and fixed, monoblock calipers. The huge 394 x 36 mm front rotors are paired with 6-piston calipers, while the 390 x 32 mm rear rotors are paired with 4-piston calipers. Compared to similar-size two-piece steel rotors, the lightweight and large carbon calipers save 22 pounds, while encouraging impressive stopping power and heat toleration — ideal for track use"

Possibly they are the same calipers. I haven't seen anything yet to suggest they are different. Perhaps Pete would know the answer.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
Splat

Drives: 2012 1SS M6 IOM
^Thanks for posting that.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post

"Camaro Z/28 features lightweight Brembo® carbon Ceramic Matrix™ rotors and fixed, monoblock calipers. The huge 394 x 36 mm front rotors are paired with 6-piston calipers, while the 390 x 32 mm rear rotors are paired with 4-piston calipers. Compared to similar-size two-piece steel rotors, the lightweight and large carbon calipers save 22 pounds, while encouraging impressive stopping power and heat toleration — ideal for track use"

Possibly they are the same calipers. I haven't seen anything yet to suggest they are different. Perhaps Pete would know the answer.
You can get more weight savings from the Racing Brake rotors. They save 26 pounds, and will only set you back $1,800 - not $4,000+ the CCB rotors would.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post

They may be the same outer-assembly (stress the "may")...but Brembo and Chevy can specify a lot of inner changes to enhance durability and heat resistance depending on application. That is why a ZL1 caliper costs more than a CTS-V caliper...and a Z/28 caliper will cost even more.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
radrace19

Drives: Pontiac G8 GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
They may be the same outer-assembly (stress the "may")...but Brembo and Chevy can specify a lot of inner changes to enhance durability and heat resistance depending on application. That is why a ZL1 caliper costs more than a CTS-V caliper...and a Z/28 caliper will cost even more.
That is not what I have been told.

The CTS-V calipers were on the 1st contract with Brembo, so to get the contract with GM, Brembo gave them a smoking deal on the calipers. Now when the ZL1 was up for calipers GM again looked to Brembo and didn't get such a deal on them for that car contract.

That is why the calipers are exactly the same other than color and logo, but the ZL1 calipers are priced 2x as much as the V calipers. The same I'm sure goes for the Camaro SS front calipers and the Chevrolet SS front calipers. They are basically the same caliper other than the color and logo.

The front Z/28 calipers do look like the ZL1 calipers but the rears do not. I would guess they would be similar to the ZR1 calipers.
-Greg

2009.5 G8 GT (Liquid Red)
GXP fascia conversion, GXP diffuser

2009 GXP M6 (MSM) #405 586rwhp/495tq
TVS2300, CTS-V Fuel System, Cam 222/230 116 lsa, Monster Lever 4 Clutch, American Racing 1 7/8 headers, rear Brembo's w/working Parking brake
11.91 @ 119
radrace19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:55 PM   #10
jonesusmc84

Drives: G8 GT
Where can you buy those ccm rotors?
jonesusmc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #11
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesusmc84 View Post
Where can you buy those ccm rotors?
Your dealer
Old 11-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
The brakes look like from the ZR1. Hence, not zl1 caliper due to significantly larger pads for CCM rotor.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by radrace19 View Post
That is not what I have been told.

The CTS-V calipers were on the 1st contract with Brembo, so to get the contract with GM, Brembo gave them a smoking deal on the calipers. Now when the ZL1 was up for calipers GM again looked to Brembo and didn't get such a deal on them for that car contract.

That is why the calipers are exactly the same other than color and logo, but the ZL1 calipers are priced 2x as much as the V calipers. The same I'm sure goes for the Camaro SS front calipers and the Chevrolet SS front calipers. They are basically the same caliper other than the color and logo.

The front Z/28 calipers do look like the ZL1 calipers but the rears do not. I would guess they would be similar to the ZR1 calipers.
-Greg
That could be...I have no knowledge of contracts and what deals they made in the board room, though. I am, however, fairly confident the innards between the CTS-V caliper, and the ZL1 caliper are slightly different between the two.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #14
Synner

Drives: cars
Rebuild kits are the same part numbers which leads me to believe they're the same. Same size and type pistons/seals at least which are the only real parts that matter in an outwardly identical caliper.

The CCB will be ZL1 calipers and rotors with a unique offset hat. Throw in a good mix of camaro tax and low production run cost increases.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote