Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-02-2016, 08:18 PM   #1
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
DIY: Switched Power

After doing a little research it seems like no one has really touched on this. So i thought i would elaborate on my method for switched power. Its very simple. Works on all model camaros, I've installed in 3 so far with no issues. (1LT, 2SS and ZL1)

First you will need a fuse tap and an appropriate fuse. I used 5Amp because i am running led lights and a radar detector off the circuit. Realize you are technically overloading this circuit. The wires are designed for 20A + some amount of safety factor. Be aware that if you put too much current through a wire it can start on fire. So keep that in mind....dont add another 50 amps or something stupid to the circuit.

I also like to wire this up with a switch for convenience, but that is up to you.

Remove the driver side fuse panel cover. Remember when removing this to pull straight outwards on the last clip at the top, it is easy to break and/or twist the mount for that clip. Anyway, there is good switched power on the "P18 Power Oulet" circuit.

Remove the fuse and insert it into your fuse tap. Make sure the 20A fuse is still the main fuse for the circuit.

In order to fit the fuse tap into place you will need to remove the trunk relay and trim the plastic as shown. I used side cutters but whatever works for you.

Now install the fuse tap and then the relay back into place, you will have to bend the fuse tap a little bit. It's a snug fit.

Check with circuit tester for power.

I installed a switch under the dash by drilling a 1/2inch hole and mounted a rocker switch.

Then i used the large 13mm bolt as ground

Hook everything up and it should power whatever you may need 14.5v switched power for.

I like putting quick connects on everything, then everything is clean if i have to take everything apart later. But thats just me.

Good luck!

Derek
Old 02-02-2016, 10:56 PM   #2
Bretts
SS

Drives: 2015 2ss rs
Do you have a online vendor for the fuse taps? Lookks simple enough
CCW sp16a track set, BTR stage 3 cam and kooks longtubes with high flow catsLocks@7.5 degrees castor and radius arm inserts, Ride Tech 2coilovers JDP upper control arm bushings BMR lower knuckle bushing Bo White throttle body3.91 gears Spohn del-sphere toe link and trailing arms Prothane subframe bushings
Bretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:37 AM   #3
Graphicsgod

Drives: 2015 Manual Hot Red 2LS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretts View Post
Do you have a online vendor for the fuse taps? Lookks simple enough
I purchased mine from Autozone (Discount Auto and Pepboys should have them as well)! They cost about $2.50 a piece. A little pricey, but if you need them it's worth the easy connection in the fuse box! They also come in two sizes, so either make sure which ones you need or, do what I did, and buy them both!
Old 02-03-2016, 06:04 AM   #4
SnowyCamaro

Local auto parts store should sell them. They are called "Mini ATC fuse tap"
Old 02-03-2016, 09:10 AM   #5
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyCamaro View Post
After doing a little research it seems like no one has really touched on this. So i thought i would elaborate on my method for switched power. Its very simple. Works on all model camaros, I've installed in 3 so far with no issues. (1LT, 2SS and ZL1)

First you will need a fuse tap and an appropriate fuse. I used 5Amp because i am running led lights and a radar detector off the circuit. Realize you are technically overloading this circuit. The wires are designed for 20A + some amount of safety factor. Be aware that if you put too much current through a wire it can start on fire. So keep that in mind....dont add another 50 amps or something stupid to the circuit.

I also like to wire this up with a switch for convenience, but that is up to you.

Remove the driver side fuse panel cover. Remember when removing this to pull straight outwards on the last clip at the top, it is easy to break and/or twist the mount for that clip. Anyway, there is good switched power on the "P18 Power Oulet" circuit.

Remove the fuse and insert it into your fuse tap. Make sure the 20A fuse is still the main fuse for the circuit.

In order to fit the fuse tap into place you will need to remove the trunk relay and trim the plastic as shown. I used side cutters but whatever works for you.

Now install the fuse tap and then the relay back into place, you will have to bend the fuse tap a little bit. It's a snug fit.

Check with circuit tester for power.

I installed a switch under the dash by drilling a 1/2inch hole and mounted a rocker switch.

Then i used the large 13mm bolt as ground

Hook everything up and it should power whatever you may need 14.5v switched power for.

I like putting quick connects on everything, then everything is clean if i have to take everything apart later. But thats just me.

Good luck!

Derek
Doesn't "switched power" mean that power isn't provided to the circuit until the key is turned to ACC or ON ...example the radio, it can't be powered on without the key in ACC or car being started ... is that the case with fuse circuit18 that you used?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #6
SnowyCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Doesn't "switched power" mean that power isn't provided to the circuit until the key is turned to ACC or ON ...example the radio, it can't be powered on without the key in ACC or car being started ... is that the case with fuse circuit18 that you used?
The circuit i tapped into is switched yes. The circuit shuts off with the key / radio etc.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:25 AM   #7
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I keep meaning to hard wire my radar detector, think I'll use this method, thanks!
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #8
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyCamaro View Post
The circuit i tapped into is switched yes. The circuit shuts off with the key / radio etc.
Good to know !
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:34 AM   #9
SnowyCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwayne3000 View Post
I keep meaning to hard wire my radar detector, think I'll use this method, thanks!
Thats what i did.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438505
Old 02-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #10
bigwayne3000

Side question, for the radar detector do I just snip off the one end and splice it to the blue part on this fuse tap?
Old 02-03-2016, 11:45 AM   #11
SnowyCamaro

If you dont want to have switch. Yes
Old 02-03-2016, 11:47 AM   #12
bigwayne3000

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2016, 11:47 AM   #13
SnowyCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwayne3000 View Post
Side question, for the radar detector do I just snip off the one end and splice it to the blue part on this fuse tap?
The blue is butt connector. Crimp wire in there. You could cut it off and splice too. Yes.

Pm me if you have questions.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:33 AM   #14
Bretts
SS

Drives: 2015 2ss rs
Thanks!
CCW sp16a track set, BTR stage 3 cam and kooks longtubes with high flow catsLocks@7.5 degrees castor and radius arm inserts, Ride Tech 2coilovers JDP upper control arm bushings BMR lower knuckle bushing Bo White throttle body3.91 gears Spohn del-sphere toe link and trailing arms Prothane subframe bushings
Bretts is offline   Reply With Quote