Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 04-11-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Camaro vs. Mustang?

Perhaps this is old news ... I haven't been on C5 for a while .... but I'd like to image that we 1lE'ers, ZL1'ers and Z28'ers helped to steer the C6 SS product direction to the point where Motor Trend is now comparing the Camaro to M4:

Enjoy! Go Camaro!
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:07 PM   #2
nvydvr

Drives: 2015 Red Rock ZL1
Wow, that's impressive!!!
nvydvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:40 PM   #3
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
It was good vid and $40k difference BMW is just losing touch with it market. I really liked the 135 Msport I had compared to the Camaro, but it was easy to make big power, but you had to either swap out the whole rearend or buy a M1 to even get a limited slip diff. 450hp on one wheel peel is not fun
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:04 PM   #4
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I had heard about the matchup but nice to finally see the video! Wait until we get the 1LE on the streets!

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:06 PM   #5
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Not to put myself on a pedastel on here, and I hate to say I told y'all so, but when I first joined this forum in '13, I was writing how passé, and crusty sounding were the typical Mustang vs Camaro threads on here. I was ignored and mocked, and treated like some foreigner who spoke blasphemy, lol!

Also, Al's mission if you all recall, was for the Camaro name to be used in the same sentence, when discussing AMG's and Porsches and the like. I think he has finally succeeded, OR just about to cross that line.

Back in the 80's and 90's, early millennium, this idea would of been laughed off and scoffed, by dudes like me.

And Oh, you stang fan boys out there, thank Al's Camaro for pushing you blokes to rid of the solid rear dinosaur axle, and getting your asses back in gear as well.

Of course, one would argue, it is in fact BMW, P, etc who forced GM to act up and get their giddiups going.

A tad ironic they are losing their path if you ask me.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:02 PM   #6
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Cool video. Love those two, and always love watching Randy Probst thrash cars! That dude loves to drive hard!!
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:13 AM   #7
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Food for thought

I am absolutely elated with where GM and American brands are going in general with better cars. I am a diehard GM and Chevy guy.

I drove a 16 Camaro SS and it is absolutely great. Forgetting styling inside or out, that is just a matter of taste. It was absolutely head over heels a quantum leap forward in refinement over an already great gen 5. It just feels tighter, more refined, doors close better. It's on a different level. As far as performance I will leave that to all the reviews that are coming out saying that it is fantastic.

But, the thing that will stop American cars from achieving the world class recognition is not their engineering or quality.

Its their service departments.

You all know its true. Many of us are scared to take our cars there. Same for many Cadillac dealers. They may be getting better but the perceived service at --- say a BMW dealer or Lexus for instance is much more assuring and refined.

What are your thoughts?

Jim
Old 04-12-2016, 04:54 AM   #8
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I had heard about the matchup but nice to finally see the video! Wait until we get the 1LE on the streets!
Exactly! They profiled the M (for motosport) of the BMW 4 and not the track package for the SS.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #9
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
When our 1LE came out in 2013, many people, (including most Camaro fans), had no idea just how good it was. I think the world is starting to learn just now after z/28 and the recent G6 launch. Muscle cars are no longer known just for going fast in a straight line. (Of course Corvette has been around for a long time and shown that we can compete with the world too.)
Old 04-12-2016, 12:09 PM   #10
HuJass

Drives: GM
The Camaro-Mustang comparo we SHOULD be having is which one mows down more people.
2004 Colorado ZQ8
2002 Trans Am WS6 Collector Edition
1999 Blazer
1994 Grand Prix SE B4U
HuJass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:00 PM   #11
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
If I want a mustang I'll just buy a gen 6 Camaro.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:11 AM   #12
LoneCynic

Drives: 2015 BVM 1SS/1LE
It's true, a lot of people don't understand that the newer American muscle cars are very capable in more than just straight line performance these days. Whenever someone rides in my 5th gen 1LE for the first time, I always take at least one corner at speed.

It is funny to watch the reactions of the un-initiated. Some grab the handle, and I notice leg positioning sometimes as people brace themselves wondering what the heck I'm doing. I gently shift down, and take the turn at speed, and the car just sucks the ground and takes the turn without throwing my passenger against the door or center console. The sighs of relief are usually followed by the quick realization of what they just experienced. This usually elicits a "Man, this car can really handle in the turns" response from them.

The general car buying public isn't aware of these facts yet, but they are slowly realizing it. Camaro is a contender, and the Camaro team's continued pursuit of a balanced car in every respect has proven that it has its sights set on more than just out-performing the domestic competition.
LoneCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #13
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
I hate to jump on a political bandwagon but there is nothing like good ol capitalism to stir competition and promote growth in quality and performance.

All three of the newer American Muscle cars have been making huge gains in quality and performance in the just the last few years. I have sat in a few gen 6 Camaro's and gen 7 vettes and I'm afraid to admit that my first thought was "..is this an American car?".

I know I am bias here but huge kudos to GM for setting the bar really high on quality and performance on "Yank Tanks".
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:18 PM   #14
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
Always good when a pony car is compared favorably to the media sweetheart M cars. It's not the first time a pony car has took the fight to an M car. The S197 Mustang. Solid axle and all battle the m3 to a draw in another comparo a few years ago.
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote