Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-29-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
general23cmp

Drives: 2010 RS SS
Magnaflow Comp Axle Back...sound legal?

How loud are these really? I like the videos, but I don't want to be a police magnet due to volume levels...

We all know videos cannot give justice to the sound....

Also, is any cutting ionvolved or are they just bolt-in?
general23cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
general23cmp

anyone regarding the legal sound? i know about the install now.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
freemaSSon
Pat @ ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: CGM SS/RS M6
Vette's have been running Headers, NO CATS and straight through pipes out the back for years.

The DRONE will make your ears bleed but hey some like it loud. During the inspection process, I personally am not aware of any state that does a decibel test to pass.

So go and make some noise with your bad self !

"There are two types of racers: cheaters...and losers."
Smokey Yunick

freemaSSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
If you add headers and high flow cats it will be illegally loud for the street in pretty much any state.

But if you do the Magnaflow Comp series, leave your stock headers resonator and cats it will be fine and sound really really good.

That system is basically just a muffler delete but professionally fabricated in stainless steel.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
freemaSSon
Pat @ ADM PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarricSS View Post
If you add headers and high flow cats it will be illegally loud for the street in pretty much any state.
Can't imagine where you believe that. Who is gonna say it is too loud. I have never ever heard of some one getting a TOO LOUD ticket on a new car.

I have been in a vette infact that is EXACTLY as I posted.

Headers, NO CATS and Straight 3" pipes from header to bumper.

It does not get as loud as you would expect until you hammer it. If you just drive it normal around the POPO then it is all good.

Not my cup of tea but that is just 1 car of many here in the DFW area that I know the owners and they like it LOUD!

No inspection process any where test the decibels so any sound level will pass an inspection.

Smokey Yunick

Old 10-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
general23cmp

Fortunately, there arent inspections where I live. I just didnt want to drive by a cop and have him pull me over for volume...
Old 10-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
the blue camaro on magnaflows website is mine and the final exhaust i went with was there 3" comp series which has a very nice sound and i doubt the sound level would be illigal in any state. i just added dynatech's long tubes and hi flow cats and wow did it get loud, sounds absolutely incredible, but possibly illegal when i bury the throttle.
urr2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
freemaSSon
Pat @ ADM PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by general23cmp View Post
Fortunately, there arent inspections where I live. I just didnt want to drive by a cop and have him pull me over for volume...
If you like it loud then do it.....The DRONE is gonna be insane but the POPO's could give a shit less about the volume of your exhaust. If you are being a dick then they might right "CHICKEN FEATHERS" to show there right.

12 years in a City uniform and the most I have ever seen or heard of a cop doing is CHECKIN your chit out. If you want loud....DO IT brother.

Smokey Yunick

Old 10-11-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemaSSon View Post
Can't imagine where you believe that. Who is gonna say it is too loud. I have never ever heard of some one getting a TOO LOUD ticket on a new car.

Good for you then? It's called noise pollution and you CAN get pulled over for exceeding a certain DB lvl...it's really up to the Officer if he wants to give you a ticket. But we all know laws are different in the country of Texas...

I have gotten many "noise pollution" tickets on my motorcycles over the years.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:28 PM   #10
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
some states (maybe all?) have laws about car stereos being too loud and you can get tickets for those..... but as for the car itself... there is no such thing as ticket for being too loud as far as decibel goes unless cops now carry a decibel meter? They will catch you on other things like LT Headers or no cats.. etc..
Old 10-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #11
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
The limit of what is too loud depends on where you live. Here they have a 1/2 mile rule that they use to measure by where if they can hear your car a 1/2 mile away it's too loud. I know people who has been pulled over for this and know officers that have pulled over people for it.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #12
Kelso

Drives: 99 camaro
But seriously even a muffler delete if ur nt really hammering it wont get u pulled over if ur around town or know theres cops just baby the car along i do it all the time with my 99 camaro and have never been pulled over. Its a V6 but with LT's and no mufflers its loud. So what im sayin is put the comp series on there!
Old 10-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #13
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
In my province, during vehicle check stops, the police will sometimes have dB meters and yep, you can get a repair ticket if you are putting out too much 'Noise Pollution'

Just ask a few of my Ricer buddies how awesome they thought their fart can mufflers were after THAT ticket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #14
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
heck yeah you can get a ticket for loud noise coming from your car, doesn't matter if it's a stereo or exhaust. Lots of police carry decibel meters. I know in Greensboro, NC near here, if your stereo can be heard from more than 100 feet away, it's a $200 fine and goes up from there. Same for mufflers (or lack thereof). There is a certain decibel reading they will use, not sure, but it's all noise pollution. I know several people who have had tickets for both. Definitely if you run straight headers you'll get one in Myrtle Beach!

My Magnaflow Comp Series cat back is not too loud which retains the stock cats and resonators.
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote