Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-07-2016, 07:19 AM   #1
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
maybe something, may be nothing...

Ford delay's F150 deliveries with A10. Says transmission has a "glitch" they are working to resolve.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/3229001...-pickup-trucks
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
Ford delay's F150 deliveries with A10. Says transmission has a "glitch" they are working to resolve.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/3229001...-pickup-trucks
Not sure what's going on with the truck...but there was never any "glitch", or quality-related issue for Camaro A10 production. The delay was always scheduled.

Keep in mind something (more for those who read this thread). While it is true that the transmission was co-developed between Ford and GM...hardware development is where that ended.

Each company had to engineer and program their own transmission controllers, and shifting calibrations. They also have separate roles in integrating the transmission into their vehicles.

It is likely that this report is referring to an issue Ford had in their transmission programming.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:38 AM   #3
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Not sure what's going on with the truck...but there was never any "glitch", or quality-related issue for Camaro A10 production. The delay was always scheduled.

Keep in mind something (more for those who read this thread). While it is true that the transmission was co-developed between Ford and GM...hardware development is where that ended.

Each company had to engineer and program their own transmission controllers, and shifting calibrations. They also have separate roles in integrating the transmission into their vehicles.

It is likely that this report is referring to an issue Ford had in their transmission programming.
Exactly this. As stated in other threads there is NO PROBLEM with the GM A10 tranny. It is on schedule as planned.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:44 AM   #4
mkorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Ok, so with all due respect....how can you speak so definitively on this subject. I know you rode in a A10 equipped ZL1. I know you said it was fantastic. I WANT it to be fantastic because I am a Camaro guy and even though I would never own an automatic in a Camaro, I still want it to be awesome because it elevates the brand.

However, we did not have any clue that the A10 would not be available @ launch until the ordering memo's came out from GM back in August. Al never mentioned (to the best of my knowledge) the delay at the unveiling. Mark never mentioned the delay @ the test drives with the media. YET, we have this phrase that the delay "has always been the plan". Maybe it has, but I have never seen anything from GM that states the PLAN was to stagger the delivery of the A10 other than the ordering memo's which gave no explanation.

All I am saying is that MANY have wondered WHY GM is delaying the release of the A10. Many are wondering WHEN they will actually receive cars equipped with the A10 and I simply offered the possibility that there is something in the tranny that is just not right yet and that could be the reason for the delay. If someone can show me on GM letterhead where the A10 delay has always been the plan (other than the ordering memo which gives no explanation as to why) then I will be quite and go away.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:57 AM   #5
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
It's not like Ford is known for having smooth shifting and well calibrated transmissions..

A glitch isn't a hardware issue, so whatever they need to resolve has a good chance of not affecting the 10 speed in ZL1.. However, GM may have their own issues.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #6
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Remember the pic of the Raptor leaving Milford? I bet they are have programming issues.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #7
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I would rather see them get it right from the factory compared to releasing it too early and forcing the dealers to work through the issues like what has happened with the A8 trans. Also remember 2012 ZL1's were on QC hold for a long time and didn't ship until the Spring of 2012. I think this is why GM started to ship the M6 cars in the fall to appease those who couldn't wait and didn't mind a manual car. They also had a staggered release for the A8 ZO6 cars (though not as long).

Finally, it's the first co-developed transmission between these companies (a high profile one at that), so you have to believe both companies will make sure it's delivered as perfect as possible. Certainly neither one wants pie on their face if there are no issues with the competitors version but issues with their own. Too much at stake for either to screw it up imo.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:27 AM   #8
mkorgan

http://dailysunknoxville.com/2017-fo...elay/920014447

Joe Hinrichs, head of Ford’s automotive operations in America, said “We are launching the new Raptor and F-150 with the new 10-speed transmission. We continued building but we’re holding (trucks) longer so we could do more testing and make sure everything is right before we release them.”
He added that these trucks were supposed to have been delivered by the end of this year. But these extra testing is definitely vital to save cost as well as its reputation in the long run.

To me, this points to durability issues rather than programming. Using phrases "in the long run" really does not point to programming as much as wear and tear, durability, sustainability of the transmission which would be more hardware than software. Just trying to read between the lines. Maybe over thinking it but hey, what are forums for right?
Old 12-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #9
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
No.. Saying "Reputation in the long run" in that case makes me think that a shitty shifting 10 speed F150 will leave a bad taste in someone's mouth and will look at Ford negatively or the transmission in general.. Not that the transmission will be failing in the long run.

Most of the issues these transmissions have nowadays are programming issues. That's probably what I'd chalk it up to.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:33 AM   #10
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
http://dailysunknoxville.com/2017-fo...elay/920014447

Joe Hinrichs, head of Ford’s automotive operations in America, said “We are launching the new Raptor and F-150 with the new 10-speed transmission. We continued building but we’re holding (trucks) longer so we could do more testing and make sure everything is right before we release them.”
He added that these trucks were supposed to have been delivered by the end of this year. But these extra testing is definitely vital to save cost as well as its reputation in the long run.

To me, this points to durability issues rather than programming. Using phrases "in the long run" really does not point to programming as much as wear and tear, durability, sustainability of the transmission which would be more hardware than software. Just trying to read between the lines. Maybe over thinking it but hey, what are forums for right?
Or they want to get it right from the factory instead of dealers having to deal with upgrades.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:26 AM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Ok, so with all due respect....how can you speak so definitively on this subject. I know you rode in a A10 equipped ZL1. I know you said it was fantastic. I WANT it to be fantastic because I am a Camaro guy and even though I would never own an automatic in a Camaro, I still want it to be awesome because it elevates the brand.
I am fortunate to have had discussions with folks here and there on the Camaro team on this subject, both at that media event, and more recently as news is released...for the purposes of keeping the forum informed and accurate, with respect to threads like these.

They read the forum, regularly...and while they prefer not to take a direct role in posting (for obvious PR reasons), they do wish to communicate information from time to time.

Quote:
OHowever, we did not have any clue that the A10 would not be available @ launch until the ordering memo's came out from GM back in August. Al never mentioned (to the best of my knowledge) the delay at the unveiling. Mark never mentioned the delay @ the test drives with the media. YET, we have this phrase that the delay "has always been the plan". Maybe it has, but I have never seen anything from GM that states the PLAN was to stagger the delivery of the A10 other than the ordering memo's which gave no explanation.

All I am saying is that MANY have wondered WHY GM is delaying the release of the A10. Many are wondering WHEN they will actually receive cars equipped with the A10 and I simply offered the possibility that there is something in the tranny that is just not right yet and that could be the reason for the delay. If someone can show me on GM letterhead where the A10 delay has always been the plan (other than the ordering memo which gives no explanation as to why) then I will be quite and go away.
I understand your skepticism...However, you won't get that...

But it was always the plan; you'll have to take my word for it (which is the Camaro team's word)...or not, and continue to ask for "proof", which will likely not be distributed. :(

As I understand it, the delay had more to do with the supplier's schedule, than with GM. And the product team just built the delayed release into their schedule and release plans. No more...no less.

I do not know why they chose not to share this with the public sooner than they did. Maybe it was PR goof...or maybe they had more intentional reasons (the likely case). But...as enthusiastic as we are about the car, and as much money as we are paying....It's my opinion that we need to accept that we are *not* entitled to know their product plans, or reasons for doing things.

Quote:
With all due respect (and there's a lot )...You're reading too far in between the lines. I'd focus more on the entire phrase "reputation in the long run". If Ford goofed on either the a) calibration of the transmission, or b) the integration into the vehicle...then it would behoove them to fix their issue prior to selling the vehicle.

I don't think this news reflects in any way on the transmission as a piece of hardware (gears, clutches, pumps, or TC), or on the ZL1's application.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:53 AM   #12
mkorgan

Well, at this point I will take your word for it and move on. Just thought the article was interesting and may have some indirect impact on our favorite car around here. Looks as though it does not. Cheers.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:16 AM   #13
NCSD

Drives: Nightfall, 2SS, A8, MRC, NPP,RE-71R
If the A10 can handle 35 inch tires and offroad duty in a raptor, it should be pretty strong. Ford is testing the new raptor with the A10 in off road races. Any transmission that handle a big heavy truck in an offroad race will be strong. They are probably just making sure it will hold up long term at this point.

http://www.race-dezert.com/home/2017...es-134145.html
NCSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #14
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Well, at this point I will take your word for it and move on. Just thought the article was interesting and may have some indirect impact on our favorite car around here. Looks as though it does not. Cheers.
They are on schedule as planned with the release of the A10. It will be here soon. Deliveries will be made in March/April. It's already December 7, I remember all of the uproar back in August/Sept. when they originally said the A10 would not be coming out till late 1st. quarter of 2017. Time is flying by. Little more patience is all that's needed. I think customers overthink on a daily basis about the A10 schedule and get more frustrated. I'm in the same boat too. I want answers as to why its taking so long. But, there is nothing I can do EXCEPT take GMs word for it that it will be a game changer and that it will be released in the spring.

I am real happy that customers who ordered the manual are getting their cars without delay. And don't have to experience the hell I went thru 1 year ago when my car was in QC hold for 56 days.

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote