Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-01-2017, 05:51 AM   #1
onoahimahi

Drives: 2014 SS Convertible
When does Dual Mode Exhaust Valve Close? (SS)

Hi - I am trying to understand dual mode exhaust on my newly acquired 2014 2SS. Namely, when does it close? I looked in the exhaust pipe and see that the valve is open for idle and minor reving (up to maybe 2000 RPM). I searched and found lots of discussion on pulling the fuse but if it is generally open at 'casual' RPMs up to 2000, it is already in loud mode, correct? And if cruising on the highway in 6th gear at less than 2000 RPM, it is already in loud mode there too, correct? When does it normally close? And when it is closed, when will it re-open based on performance demands?

I'm not clear how this is supposed to work and there seems to be a bit of confusion in the threads on this topic as well. (Maybe my fuse is already pulled...)

Thanks,
-Scott
onoahimahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:20 AM   #2
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Following info was pulled from "GM Authority" and "Autoweek" and some from memory ...
At start:
The Camaro NPP Dual-Mode Exhaust is in loud/bypass mode at engine startup and through 1,500 RPMs (vacuum solenoids off).
Then:
The system uses the engine control module (ECM), body control module (BCM), electronic brake control module (EBCM), EFCM, exhaust flow control valve vacuum solenoid, vacuum reservoir, vacuum lines, 2 exhaust flow control valves and the serial data circuit to perform its functions. Ultimately, the EFCM directs the vacuum solenoid off as vehicle speed increases, throttle position reaches 25 percent or greater, and dentine speed reaches 3500 RPM. In other words, drive the Camaro hard, and you’ll reap the benefits of the dual-mode exhaust. The combination of the above events causes the valves to Re-open, thereby diverting exhaust flow through an un-baffled path inside the mufflers and enhancing engine performance.

A great addition to an already-great car. With our tester's dual-mode exhaust, the Camaro SS is about as subtle as a 12-gauge; it makes no attempt to hide its intentions whether you're at idle or ripping up a freeway on-ramp, and there's even a burbling pop-pop on the overrun when you're slowing down for a light. Yes, it's fun at times (especially when the hand of God is released on the aforementioned freeway on-ramps), but it's just as often overkill.

One feature of the NPP Dual-Mode Exhaust is to lower drone when the engine is under light load cruising on the highway to allow easier conversation and radio listening.
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 06-01-2017 at 06:31 AM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:22 AM   #3
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
Basically its open at idle until you hit about 20 mph if accelerating slowly then it closes and will stay closed cruising easy on the pedal. If you accelerate hard it will stay open. If you punch it while cruising it will open. Deceleration it will open around 20-25 and you can hear the exhaust popping. I put a 3 way controller in mine so I can select factory mode, always open and always closed. On trips with the back seat down and long things in my trunk like fishing rods(every week) the drone can sometimes get to me and I will close them or starting up early in the morning (to go fishing) ill close them.
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:50 PM   #4
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
This should give you an idea of how it flows. The fuse for the solenoid control circuit is #8 and is in the trunk fuse box. My fuse #8 is in the glove box so the circuit is always open.
Attached Images

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:38 PM   #5
onoahimahi

Drives: 2014 SS Convertible
Guys, thanks, that helps. I was able to see the valve close in the driveway when my wife revved the engine up to around 2000 RPM so I know the fuse is not pulled. I love the way it sounds both at idle and on the aforementioned freeway on-ramps..!

Thanks,
-Scott
onoahimahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:32 AM   #6
Jarret

Drives: 2018 A10 ZL1 - Summit White
It sounds really good when the fuse is pulled
Jarret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:45 AM   #7
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
thankfully NEVER
Old 06-02-2017, 07:30 AM   #8
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
NPP on a supercharged car with long tubes and cat delete sounds awesome when open.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:50 PM   #9
2013blueray

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD555 View Post
Basically its open at idle until you hit about 20 mph if accelerating slowly then it closes and will stay closed cruising easy on the pedal. If you accelerate hard it will stay open. If you punch it while cruising it will open. Deceleration it will open around 20-25 and you can hear the exhaust popping. I put a 3 way controller in mine so I can select factory mode, always open and always closed. On trips with the back seat down and long things in my trunk like fishing rods(every week) the drone can sometimes get to me and I will close them or starting up early in the morning (to go fishing) ill close them.
How did you add the 3 way...?
2013blueray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:54 PM   #10
JD555

I bought the Forza controller. Its not a bad install.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:12 PM   #11
Hootch

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS
Some info on doing it yourself.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318683
Hootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #12
DSEowner

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD555 View Post
Your back seat folds down? Was that new for 2014. I don't see any way to do it on my 2013. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

LS3, 6-spd w/ Hurst short shifter, navigation, sunroof, Boston Acoustics, and Borla Type-S cat back exhaust.
DSEowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:32 PM   #13
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSEowner View Post
Your back seat folds down? Was that new for 2014. I don't see any way to do it on my 2013. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.
There is a tab in the middle at the top of the seatback to pull.
Make sure it clicks when you put it back up.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:56 PM   #14
JD555

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSEowner View Post
Last time I had it down I had both the lower units from my Yamaha 225 outboards in there to bring them home. I opened the trunk and my brother said are you kidding me. you fit those in there? You can fit a lot in that trunk with the seat down. like said above pull the tab in the middle of the seat up top.