Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-28-2018, 10:10 AM   #1
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Resisting urge to street race....

Every now and then I will engage in some short bursts from a stop light, but will not engage in an all-out race (class B misdemeanor in Texas, car impounded, license suspended, fines, possible jail time, etc. and, most importantly, the potential for maiming innocent bystanders all being factors for me..). Having said that, it's damn hard to resist when someone tries to engage you.

Last night I was cruising in a suburban area where speed limit is 55 and fairly open, but still near a residential area with plenty of side streets, other cars and cops who like to sit just over the next hill. Suddenly a teenager in a souped vette flies up alongside me, revs his engine and gives me the "wanna go" look. My car has recently been modified and I am sure he could hear it and wanted to see what it had. I waived him off, but every inch of me wanted to throttle down. Am glad I didn't as ~ 5 seconds later some idiot in a brand new Subaru WRX flew by me going at least 80 and almost hit the vette before cutting in front of me (roughly 3 car lengths between me and vette). He (or she for all I know) was so out of control that I believe they may have hit one of us if we'd been closer to one another.

I met the vette at the next stop light and I told him that I don't race. He then proceeded to tell me that he'd just gotten a ticket for going 130. He then asked me why I have my car if not racing (LOL). I told him "because it's fun to drive and I am too old to be that stupid". He then sped away most likely thinking I was too old and slow to have a such a car.

Also, I have a friend who's son totaled a $25k car and destroyed one of those green power transformer (I think...) boxes that sit on corners. The kid broke his leg, but no other serious injuries. A witness told police that he was racing and his insurance company denied coverage on car and the transformer, which turned out to cost something like $70k. The kid got off easy.... he or someone else could've been killed.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #2
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
You soon be reading about the kid in the Vette, it will catch up with him
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #3
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
It is tough to back off. I, like you don't race on the street. I do some spirited driving when I can on some twisty back roads. I'm 45 and still would love to engage but I will leave that for the track/ strip. Kudos for having will power and wisdom.
The kid in the vette told you all you need to know. Just got ticketed for 130 and is still looking for more. I recently went to a cruise night in a suburb of chicago. It was soon over run by idiot kids reving there fast and furious cars and ripping up and down the parking lot isles. There were hundreds of them. Cops rolled in hard and broke it up. No more cruise nights there!!
The officer came up to me and said "you have to leave sir"!! I said I would like to wait until thr idiots are gone if that's ok. He busted out laughing and said no problem.
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:51 PM   #4
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
We all share the urge, or we wouldn't drive the kind of cars we drive. I enjoy spirited driving in the canyons and less traveled roads in my area, but save racing for the track. It is absolutely not worth the risk to other, your driving record and/or arrest.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:43 PM   #5
KJZ28

Drives: 2018 Buick Regal TourX
I raced in my 5th gen twice and got pulled over both times, got off both times because of PBA card and knowing tons of cops...but the stress is not worth it. I get so worked up when I get pulled over I do stupid things, like try to put the car in park while its still rolling.
SOLD: 2010 2SS/RS L99-A6 K&N CAI, Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers, Stainless Works hi-flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back. Tuned by Corvettes of Westchester. 1/LE rear suspension conversion, Bilstein B6 Stuts/shocks.
KJZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:41 PM   #6
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Right approach - no street racing - some spirited driving on fun roads, but all within reason and knowing your must care for your fellow drivers!

Keep the racing on the track where it belongs.
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:50 PM   #7
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Same here, wild hair gets you in trouble. I now use this for not street racing:

$215 to road course monthly (or 6-8 times a year) or pay a fine of $2000 + jail+etc..., I’d rather race 9+ times for that money and not go to jail ;o)...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:43 AM   #8
YOLO Z/28
YOLO Z/28

Drives: 2014 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIFIED View Post
Every now and then I will engage in some short bursts from a stop light, but will not engage in an all-out race (class B misdemeanor in Texas, car impounded, license suspended, fines, possible jail time, etc. and, most importantly, the potential for maiming innocent bystanders all being factors for me..). Having said that, it's damn hard to resist when someone tries to engage you.

Last night I was cruising in a suburban area where speed limit is 55 and fairly open, but still near a residential area with plenty of side streets, other cars and cops who like to sit just over the next hill. Suddenly a teenager in a souped vette flies up alongside me, revs his engine and gives me the "wanna go" look. My car has recently been modified and I am sure he could hear it and wanted to see what it had. I waived him off, but every inch of me wanted to throttle down. Am glad I didn't as ~ 5 seconds later some idiot in a brand new Subaru WRX flew by me going at least 80 and almost hit the vette before cutting in front of me (roughly 3 car lengths between me and vette). He (or she for all I know) was so out of control that I believe they may have hit one of us if we'd been closer to one another.

I met the vette at the next stop light and I told him that I don't race. He then proceeded to tell me that he'd just gotten a ticket for going 130. He then asked me why I have my car if not racing (LOL). I told him "because it's fun to drive and I am too old to be that stupid". He then sped away most likely thinking I was too old and slow to have a such a car.

Also, I have a friend who's son totaled a $25k car and destroyed one of those green power transformer (I think...) boxes that sit on corners. The kid broke his leg, but no other serious injuries. A witness told police that he was racing and his insurance company denied coverage on car and the transformer, which turned out to cost something like $70k. The kid got off easy.... he or someone else could've been killed.
You definitely have to be smart about foolish things. I wont bother racing someone on a road with side streets or sidewalks. Too many bistandards. If you lived more in the country, there's roads that are more "acceptable".

All that said, I've received a ticket in TX for 85 in a 80. You can get in trouble when you least expect it. Since then, I bought a really nice radar detector... but that only helps so much. It's a calculated risk... is it worth the reward? That's what you have to answer before you bury the go fast pedal.

How are you liking the mods so far? Did the car pick up as much as you hoped?
2014 Red Hot Z/28, CTF car #39/69. HCI, Supercharged, boltons.
2006 SRM GTO, exhaust, VMR V701 wheels (SOLD)
2002 Bright Red Trans Am WS6: HCI, exhaust, tune, Konis, UMI sways, LCAs, Track bar, STB, 2" boxed steel SFCs (SOLD)
YOLO Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:06 AM   #9
ZEN357

Drives: 1991 Z/28 Convertible
It's very hard to control yourself sometimes, but with the risk factor involved and the police factor, I tend not to do it.
ZEN357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:28 AM   #10
ZapperZ

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE 2022 GMC AT4 HD
I'll take the car out on the highway once in a while but very seldom anymore.
I never race street cars as I'm not into drag racing and I don't trust IDIOTS.
On public highways I'd end up rapping it around a pole driving the way I do at events.
The roads just aren't the same as doing a road course .
ZapperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:34 AM   #11
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Years ago before there was a certain staged TV show, I was with said people and got popped because I was the last one rolling into 'the spot'. He made sure it was the most expensive ticket i've ever had..and I was just pulling in.

That was about the last of street racing I ever took part in...
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:59 PM   #12
O.F.

Drives: 2015 BLK/BLK 2SS/RS MN6
These cars can jump to 100+ in a heartbeat so you have to be careful. I got a $200 reminder not so long ago and the cop let me off easy. I remember now.
O.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:06 PM   #13
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Not worth my gas to race some young punk with a fart can.

But, they keep on trying!!!

Stupid idiots.
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:29 PM   #14
Dutchman427

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1329 M6
The consequences are not worth the pull. I Wish the government was as hard on a DACA recipient as they are on a guy that wants to make a pull.
2012 Camaro ZL1 #1329 M6 Summit White
Built by Mike @ Rapid Motorsports
784rwhp 757 rwtq on 93 Octane ET - 10.97 @ 128
Heads-Blower-Snout-TB ported & prepared by Jeremy Formato of FasterProms
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395950

Rapid Motorsports 396ci Build
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...1#post10321301
10.832 @ 130.99
Dutchman427 is offline   Reply With Quote