Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-01-2022, 11:08 AM   #1
Trey316

Drives: 1971 Pontiac Firebird, 1973 Camaro
3.6l LFX info needed

Hi All, first post to this forum, not exactly Camaro related, but hoping to get some advice / info from any 3.6l gurus that might be on here.

I’m starting a build on a ‘49 Chevy 3100 AD pickup, and am seriously considering a 2014 Camaro 3.6l LFX transplant. The engine is low mile (18k), plenty cheap ($1500), and is fully dressed. I like the physical size and hp/torque numbers, think it would make a great driver mated with a 6L50e.

My questions / concerns -
1. Obviously not many people doing this type of swap, so no stand-alone harnesses that I can find. Has anyone built a stand-alone harness for this engine, or possibly have access to the necessary diagrams?

2. I understand the 3.6 has internal exhaust manifolds within the head. What am I going to need to mate an exhaust to this motor?

3. As near as I can tell, the trans control is internal to the 6L50e, i.e. no external TCM will be required, is this correct?

4. Are there any other oddities, tweaks, gremlins, or major issues with this setup that you are aware of that would affect the swap?

Any help appreciated, and no offense intended, but please refrain from any ‘back-seat build’ comments. I’m well aware that I can go with a 4.3, 4.8, or 5.3l swap, and really don’t want the thread clogged up with the ‘why would you do that, I’d do this’ comments.
Thanks!
Trey316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 03:56 PM   #2
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
why not grab the stock exhaust if you can get it cheap?if its not loud enough theres always cat delete.i would think the older pickup would run pretty quick with this motor.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 04:31 PM   #3
67-LS1

Drives: 1966 Chevelle
Ah, where to start….
I’m running a 2013 LFX/6L50 in my 66 Chevelle. It’s my daily driver.

1.) As far as I know there is no aftermarket harness available for what your trying to do. If there is, it will be for a swap into a Miata. I had my factory modified.

2.) I used the factory head pipes and they worked fine. I’m even running the catalytic converters.

3.) The TCM is in the transmission but some of the control of the TCM comes from the BCM. Manual shifting, paddle shifters require you run the BCM.

4.) Yes. Plenty.
You’ll need to fab your own motor mounts.
The engine while small in displacement is physically pretty large. I had to modify my frame to clear.
It uses the later ECM which runs a lot more GMLAN then previous versions.
You’ll also need the BCM for voltage control or it defaults to 13.6v.
The transmission doesn’t have a provision for a dipstick so you need to check fluid level on a lift.
The transmission is also physically ginormous. Plan on a new tunnel.
The transmission doesn’t have a slip yoke so you’ll need a CV style driveshaft which is not inexpensive.
There are no aftermarket belt drives. Mine was from a Camaro but the AC compressor wouldn’t clear so I had to figure a new belt routing.

I have tons of photos and contacts for the people who helped me so if you proceed, keep the questions coming.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2022, 05:25 PM   #4
Trey316

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
why not grab the stock exhaust if you can get it cheap?if its not loud enough theres always cat delete.i would think the older pickup would run pretty quick with this motor.
Good call, thank you. I would think These would be relatively easy to pick up at a salvage, thanks!
Old 01-01-2022, 05:45 PM   #5
Trey316

@67-LS1 - Great info, exactly what I was looking for. By the way, fantastic looking installation on your 66, very impressive.

Re the harness, could you let me know who did the rework on the factory harness for you? Also wondering about BCM, do you think it’s necessary if I don’t want the manual / paddle shift? I’m fine with the 13.6vdc default, can’t think that it would cause problems? Can’t seem to find any input diagrams for this ECU like they have available on the 5.3’s and 6.0’s, so not sure what all the ECM and TCM will need to be happy...

Already planning to fab custom motor mounts, and I’m able to set the engine a little higher in this truck (big tall hood), so hopefully I can clear the compressor without a relocate. Trans tunnel is likely going to be an issue, but these old truck floors are pretty easy to modify, not much in the way.

Speaking of trans, I’ve got the option to buy the Aisin AY6 manual that’s currently mated to the engine, which I’d love, but the thing is like 24” from the bell to the shifter, which would put the stick in the middle of the seat.. Have you ever seen a shifter relocate kit for the Aisin, like they do with the TR6060?

Thanks so much for the help on this, really appreciate it!
Old 01-01-2022, 10:02 PM   #6
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
The Aisin AY6 manual is nothing but trouble, I'd go with the auto.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 01:38 AM   #7
67-LS1

I don’t have any experience with the manual trans so can’t help you with shifter info.

I’ve attached the pinout list for the engine/auto trans.

I used a guy named Anthony. I believe he is AKnovaman on this and a few other car blogs. He had a guy modify the PCM too. Eventually I extended the harness myself because I didn’t want the ECM showing under the hood. If I were to do the swap again I would do the harness myself. I’d also find a PCM guy closer to me because my ECM has been UPS’d from coast to coast too many times

I’m not running a BCM. The 13.6v has not been an issue and there are a couple solutions to bump it up to the low 14’s but it won’t “float”. It will be constant. The only thing I miss without the BCM is manual control of the trans. Not paddle shifters but just the ability to manually select a gear. No biggie.

The biggie I do take away from your post is that the current engine/trans harness would be for the manual trans. Does this mean you’d swap to an auto from another car? I’m quite sure that will be very different from the auto harness. You would need to get an auto harness or go with a standalone trans controller. Both options could be expensive.

Here is a link to my build thread. https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588026
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2022, 02:30 AM   #8
67-LS1

Btw, if you can get the stock down pipes, get them. I’m running them after cutting off the secondary cats and adding a piece to connect to standard Chevelle exhaust.
In retrospect I wish I’d have kept the secondary cats. They act like small resonators too and I like quiet. Real quiet.
If you get them but don’t run them, I’m interested in them.
Old 01-02-2022, 09:10 AM   #9
Trey316

Again, great info, very much appreciated. Getting that pin out is huge for me, thanks.

Yes, I plan on picking up a stock Engine / auto trans harness and ECM, they don’t look too bad on cost. I’ve got a local dyno tuner that should be able to make any required changes, so hopefully avoid any coast to coast ping-pong with the ECM.

If I can find a full exhaust, I’ll hook you up with the sec cats, no problem. Would you expect to see any tuning issues if I do a full cat delete?
Old 01-02-2022, 12:21 PM   #10
67-LS1

I don’t think deleting the cats out of the ECM would be an issue for a competent tuner in which case I don’t see any problems.
The primary cats and the secondary cats are both welded to the down pipe. I cut my pipes where they go from vertical to horizontal and welded in 2.5” tubing to take the space.
I’d like to have both cats so if you decide to run 1 or no cats I’m interested. You could use mine for the flanges if you go without cats.
Keep us posted as your project moves forward.