Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
MB2010CC
Back in Black

Drives: 2010 Black 2LT/RS Camaro
Six Cars to Save the Big Three

Just found this on AOL. Thought you all might want to check it out.

Woah!!! wrong URL hold on...here ya go...That last one was the URL to my inbox!!!

http://autos.aol.com/article/general...07140609990001

Last edited by MB2010CC; 10-11-2008 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Wrong URL Link
MB2010CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
No Cruze?
Old 10-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Mentioning the Chevy Volt is correct. That car is going to put GM in the black again just because it will give GM lots of positive publicity.

We all know the Camaro is a winner.

The Ford Mondeo is impotent. I disagree with this choice.

The Fiesta will be a winner for Ford. I agree with this choice.

The S-Max is too under-publicized to make a splash in the American market. The fact that it has been available overseas will only frustrate Americans who wonder why American companies don't sell their best cars at home. I've been frustrated by that trend, too.

The Dodge Demon is cool, but the Solstice and Sky didn't save GM, and they are on their way out because they cost too much. The sport toy segment is overrated. It has too small a market splash to save a company. I think this is just the coolest Dodge the article could list.

FenwickHockey65 is right to ask why the Cruze on the list. That's a car that will make a splash.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
JaysonAych

Drives: 2002 Dodge Stratus
The Dodge Demon? I mean, it would be a nice car if it was going to be released as a rear wheel drive roadster, though they've already said it would be FWD. But even then...it's not going to save Chrysler. A production version of the Hornet concept would go much farther toward saving them. They also need to replace the Caliber with something lighter and more efficient. And they need to work more on their dreadful interiors.

I agree with the Fiesta saving Ford NA...that car looks like the home run small car they need to start selling here. The S-Max would also help Ford out here quite a bit. And they could use a car that slots in between the Focus and the Fusion in terms of size.

The Camaro surely generates excitement for GM, but I'm not sure it's a company-saving car. The Volt will go a long way towards helping, but as FenwickHockey65 said, the Cruze is probably more worthy of being on the list. They also need a much more competent car to replace the Aveo, something to slot between the Cruze and the new Malibu, and to better manage and define each division's role in the company.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysonAych View Post
The Dodge Demon? I mean, it would be a nice car if it was going to be released as a rear wheel drive roadster, though they've already said it would be FWD. But even then...it's not going to save Chrysler. A production version of the Hornet concept would go much farther toward saving them. They also need to replace the Caliber with something lighter and more efficient. And they need to work more on their dreadful interiors.

I agree with the Fiesta saving Ford NA...that car looks like the home run small car they need to start selling here. The S-Max would also help Ford out here quite a bit. And they could use a car that slots in between the Focus and the Fusion in terms of size.

The Camaro surely generates excitement for GM, but I'm not sure it's a company-saving car. The Volt will go a long way towards helping, but as FenwickHockey65 said, the Cruze is probably more worthy of being on the list. They also need a much more competent car to replace the Aveo, something to slot between the Cruze and the new Malibu, and to better manage and define each division's role in the company.
the aveo is a pos, I don't think they even need to replace it. It doesn't have much direct competetion and still nobody buys it. And something to go between the Cruze and the Malibu, I just don't think there is enough room. As for defining the brands, I agree 100%. I say drop every eco-trim Pontiac and drop every sporty Saturn. And get rid of every Cadillac SUV: GMC Denali's fill that role nicely. Its not much but its a start.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:33 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I think they should have mentioned the Cruze (almost Prius mpg without all the ugly and batteries? )...but I'll agree to that list, mostly.

And what a strange thing; to read a positive (or at least optimistic) article about the Big three. It was my pleasure to read that.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:58 PM   #7
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I think they should have mentioned the Cruze (almost Prius mpg without all the ugly and batteries? )...but I'll agree to that list, mostly.

And what a strange thing; to read a positive (or at least optimistic) article about the Big three. It was my pleasure to read that.
I definitely agree with the overall tone. I only agree with the Camaro, Volt, and Fiesta, though. The others won't make a dent, unless GM acquires Chrysler. If that happens, I imagine the Demon could become a sister of the Solstice and Sky.

I know what you're going to say: "The Solstice and Sky are unprofitable. Why would GM make another one?" I'm glad you asked. One answer is that it saves cost to make them all on the same platform. Another option is to use a stretched Alpha platform, as GM has considered. By having 3 cars on the same small platform, a killing can be made with less expense. Lastly, GM could take Chrysler's platform and make RWD an option instead of standard. That would allow RWD to be more expensive but still used. One way to make that happen is to return Pontiac to its performance roots by making it only RWD cars. Dodge can have the FWD version, the Sky can go FWD with the Dodge, and Pontiac can charge more for having the performance version. Saturn doesn't have a tradition of performance, so it doesn't need to use the same platform as the one built on performance. Pontiac can continue attacking BMW and raise the price to match its intended competition. By doing that, Pontiac can make up the difference on the Kappa platform, Saturn can still look cool while costing less by sharing a platform, and Dodge can feel like it isn't going under for once because it is under GM's wing—win-win-win situation.

It's just an idea.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:03 PM   #8
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
As has been said, Demon? a little two seater isn't going to sell enough to make a dent.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I'll join the chorus and say Cruze should been on the list. The Volt is absolutely necessary for GM's image and therefore belongs on the list, but for true financial success, GM must have solid sales for the compact and midsized bread-and-butter sedans. Honestly, when it comes to "saving" GM I think the Cruze is even more important than the Camaro.

I agree with the Fords, except maybe the S-Max. The Mazda5 and Kia Rio sell fairly well, but not "the company depends on this" well. It will help, but it is not as crucial as the other two.

The Demon? If that is what Chrysler has to save them, they're dead. They need compact and midsized cars, and they need them NOW.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #10
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
the demon on that list is a joke. it was a just an extra car to put on the list so dodge didnt feel so left out.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #11
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1, 2017 Colorado Z71
Dodge shot themselves in the foot when they got rid of the Neon. I still see tons of Neons on the road, but I rarely see the Caliber.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #12
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncertime View Post
Dodge shot themselves in the foot when they got rid of the Neon. I still see tons of Neons on the road, but I rarely see the Caliber.
I don't understand how a wagon platform directly replaces a car platform. The HHR never replaced the Cobalt. If Chrysler brought back the Neon with Caliber design cues, it would be a winner for sure.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #13
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Again, No Cruze? And ford S max? What is that? (ok, i obviously seen the pic of the minvan pos thingy) I've never heard anything about it before...
Anyone else notice the three fords wearing the same rim pattern in slightly different sizes?
Old 10-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #14
pruettfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
I agree with all of you the the Dodge Demon will not save Chrysler. The fact that that is the best they could come up with to save Chrysler is pretty good evidence of what a mess they have over there. With a few notable exceptions most of their products look the same and look like crap. I am a car guy and I cannot tell the difference between most of their models. Probably because I avoid looking at objects that are repulsive.

I like the new GM models and I think Ford bringing over some of their european stuff is a great idea.
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote