Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
benjj

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE
Water/Meth Injection choices

i'm in the process of choosing and installing a water/meth kit to go along with my tvs2300 to help it run a little safer

i have kooks 1 7/8" LT's, a CAInductions intake, and some supporting suspension mods. the supercharger is on its way and will most likely get the stock 3.8 pulley for a while until the itch to mod comes back like it always does.

i have been looking at 3 kits in particular and they're all at different price points, so i wanted to get some advice on what would fit my application and what would be overkill. i'll list them from cheapest to most expensive

first off is the Coolingmist Water Injection kit http://jreperformanceparts.com/2010-...ol-system.html
with optional 1.5 gallon tank and blue led bezel this kit comes to $687.94
this kit looks simple and i know jannetty backs it so i assume it's a good kit

next up is Alcohol Injection Systems kit http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...duct_info.html
with optional stainless steel fluid hose(not sure if i need these running 50/50 so any input here would be appreciated as this is a $110 upgrade), low level sensor and a universal sight gauge this kit comes out to $702.96 with stainless hoses and $592.97 w/o, so depending on options this could be the cheapest kit. i also like the look of the tank the best out of the 3 kits and it is a 3 gallon tank, so twice the capacity of the first kit

last but not least is the Snow Performance kit http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=76
there are no additional options with this kit but that does not mean this is a featureless kit. if anything it sounds like it has the most tunability out of all the kits and comes in at $729.00. the one draw back i would see with this kit is the size of the tank at 3 quarts, i would like to have to refill this system as little as possible and i don't know how long the tank would last

i'm really drawn to the AIS kit because of the size of the tank, the way it is mounted, and how everything is very clean with the pump underneath the tank. just wanted to know people's thoughts/advice on the kits and sorry for the length of this
benjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Have you also looked at this product. I've used them since 2005 without any problem:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91163

Last edited by Z_Rocks; 06-24-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
coolingmist

Drives: fast
Hello. Thanks for considering our kit. We are the manufacturer of the coolingmist kits but I will be glad to give you the understanding of our kits and how they work.

One of the things that seperates our kits from all of the others is the controller. The CMGS gauge is all in one and has a flow sensor based failsafe included. When you consider that, our kit costs significantly less than any of the others you mentioned.

The gauge will show you the flow rate. In addition to that the gauge will show you your boost pressure. Also, you can set up the CMGS to turn on/off any device based on low flow, high flow or low fluid level. For example if you had a turbo with a boost controller and you get a clog or your pump fails or you have an over flow situation, you can make the cmgs turn the boost controller off so you drop to lower boost. Thats just one example.

In addition to that, the screen on the CMGS will tell you if there is a problem with error codes. You will know ours is working. Since its a gauge, its easy to mount.

Here is our wiring diagram. compare to the others.

Here is a simple video showing you how easy and exact setting the MIN/MAX on the cmgs is:

http://www.coolingmist.com/videos.aspx?videoid=2#video

As far as tuneability you can debate as to which is more tuneable the CMGS or the Snow unit, however with the cmgs you can:

Inject on just boost or just voltage or boost and voltage. You can set the % on the curve, change the min/max dutycycle, etc. its quite capable.

I believe that as a customer you should look at the features of the kit and make a decision on what you want based on what you need. If that turns out to be one of the other kits, thats great. Keep in mind that Coolingmist and JRE support this forum. Also, you can order this kit from JRE and they have installed this on more than a dozen camaros and they can tell you anything you want to know.

Let me know how I can help you. You will not regret your decision if you choose ours.

FYI, if you like the AIS tank, you can order the tank by itself and use it with our kit. They use the exact pump that we do.

CM
coolingmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
benjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
Have you also looked at this product. I've used them since 2005 without any preamble:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91163
ya thats the first kit i listed. just haven't heard much of anything on the kit/company other than a couple Q and A threads they have on here
Old 06-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
benjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolingmist View Post
FYI, if you like the AIS tank, you can order the tank by itself and use it with ourkit. They use the exact pump that we do.CM
that would be an interesting solution, best of both worlds. thx for the info
Old 06-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjj View Post
ya thats the first kit i listed. just haven't heard much of anything on the kit/company other than a couple Q and A threads they have on here
Oh sorry, my bad!
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #7
coolingmist

Drives: fast
Just make sure if/when you order the kit, request the pump with the 3/8th inch ports so it will work with that tank. We have some with quick connects built in and 3/8th ports.

One thing about our tank, is that it does not take up much room. its only 11 inches long, 8 inches tall and 8 wide. Pump fits inside. Its a much smaller package than the AIS.

CM
coolingmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
JM10
Se habla espaņol

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjj View Post
that would be an interesting solution, best of both worlds. thx for the info
The AIS Tank is 160 dls + 25 for the Low Level Sensor

Whats the price of the Coolingmist kit without the tank?

Support our forum vendors

Benjj,

Who is going to do the installation and where? (PHX, tucson)

thanks

JM
DSS Aluminum Shaft
RPM Diff / 3.91 Gears
LPE ZR1 Clutch
Edelbrock E-Force SC / JRE Fuel Upgrade
Livernois 1C cam 570 rwhp/559 rwtq SAE
Best 1/4 time: 11.43
JM10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
cfcoates

Drives: 2010 Camaro CGM 2SS/RS
I recently installed a Coolingmist system with the 1.5 gal trunk tank. It is an amazing setup and should satisfy anyone's needs. The controller looks very nice and is very easy to use. I would recommend it to anyone.

Kenne Bell 2.8 Polished & Black - Coolingmist Methanol Injection
Stillen Front Splitter - Havoc Side Skirts & Rear Diffuser
ICONZ Wheels & Nitto NT-05's - PFADT Springs
cfcoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #10
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
I am running the Snow Performance kit and I also have the trunk mount tank and love it.
jrpxxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #11
RBD

Drives: 2013 SS/RS Convertible
Labonte Motorsports has the Best kit out there !
RBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:22 PM   #12
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
You can get a 3,4, or 5 gallon fuel cell from Jegs for under $100. I'm sure it wouldn't take much to adapt it. That's what the AIS tank looks like.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #13
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfcoates View Post
I recently installed a Coolingmist system with the 1.5 gal trunk tank. It is an amazing setup and should satisfy anyone's needs. The controller looks very nice and is very easy to use. I would recommend it to anyone.
how long does your 1.5 gal tank last you? (miles, days)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
I am running the Snow Performance kit and I also have the trunk mount tank and love it.
same question!
Old 06-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
NickJRE

Drives: Nothing Fun.
I can help you out a little bit. The way we set our coolingmist kits up, we burn through about a 1/4" tank of Methanol in roughly 10 dyno pulls.

Customers have been telling me they get 2-3 weeks out of a tank of Methanol with pretty regular driving. I've had one customer tell me he can go a real long time on a tank of Methanol with not driving the car aggressively regularly.

It's tough to say how much you'll use exactly because there are many different nozzles, tank sizes etc.
NickJRE is offline   Reply With Quote