Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #85
Droid6

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
I don't think there is any reason to take these results and start beating each other up with them. They're meant to be a tool to help what intake is the best for YOUR preferences. If you are a habitual worrier and hydro lock scares you then take the Injen off the list but you can't deny it's numbers are the best. Want the highest peak avg. and a bad ass looking intake get the CAI. You like the idea of getting a better average from low to high and took the Injen off the list get the AiRaid unless the high temps worry you then the K&N is the way to go. I think we have a perfect mix of intakes to suit everyone's preferences and should phrase our post to state preference and not fact. The fact is we are really lucky to have these numbers to use as a tool decide what intake to spend our money on and any post not used to help each other interpret what these numbers mean to us consumer is kind of a waste (posting that you like how the intake you already bought or wanted is pretty cool too).

2010 Camaro LS: Eibach Pro-Plus Kit, K&N Aircharger, Flowmaster American Thunder, Pioneer Audio
Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #86
CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Freak View Post
Non-existent?? It had the most HP avg of any CAI of the testing. I am not knocking the CAI Inc. intake, if I had to choose something other than Injen then CAI Inc would be it. But according to the test Injen won. Weather it be 2 degrees cooler or 50 degrees cooler, it still had the most HP on average.
You cant just look at average hp & tq from 2500 - 7000rpm. You have to look at the usable average hp & tq. When you go WOT your car goes from 2500rpm to 4000rpm in the first 1-2 seconds. After that it stays above 4000rpm. The average you need to look at is from 4000rpm to 7000rpm. Its like a cam you give up some hp down low to produce more up top.
CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #87
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
Why would the IAT have gone up so much on the Airaid test? How long does it take to go from 3k rpms to 7k rpms? Seems extremely odd to me for the temperature to have increased that much that fast and only for that one intake. If anything, I would have expected the K&N IAT temps to be pretty similar to the Airaid. Especially considering the stock IAT actually went *down* during testing.
I have the airaid v2 and of course cant feel the 5 hp difference at peak and wouldn't know I had less then injen unless I saw these results so It doesn't matter to me as I have what I have now. Yes, why did temps go up so much on this one? They didn't on the V8 test done or in a test done with v8 intakes in GMHPP magazine and the air duct is the same as the v6 from the factory I assume, and Scrmmg found the duct to be only 5 degrees above ambient temps ouside the engine compartment and worked very well. Also made same or better hp then K+N and K+N temps were only 79 vs 93. Well Idid the IAT mod and it works well, I have almost the same off the line snap in 70 degrees as in 85 degrees!!
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:35 PM   #88
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I will try and asnwer as many questions as I can.

A Hole in the bottom of the Airaid box would eliminate the IAT temp rise during acceleration, I have already spoken to Airaid on this, now it is up to them or Us and a Hole saw LOL.

Fuel Trims are the final adjustment to the injector pulse width calculation.

The MAF measures the amount of air coming in to the engine, the computer calculates the injector pulse width, the O2 sensor check the Air fuel ratio and the computer then makes Fuel trim adjustments.

Short Term fuel trims are immediate.
Long Term fuel trims are Learned and stored in the computer.

Once the short terms exceed a certain number a certain number of times it gets stored in the Long terms then the short terms can continue Immediate adjustments.

Short terms typically stay + or - 3% once the Long terms have settled in.

I don't think Hydrolocking is as much of a concern as I am reading here.

You Must Fully submerse the whole filter in water with the engine running.

In other words you have to drive in to a Lake, in that case I don't think you would be worried about hydrolocking.

Ted.
Ted, Blackbee here. I posted above on my Airaid v2. I had thought about more cooler air from an additional location but did the IAT MOD first as I thought the stock intake tube was enough, maybe not though. Would a hole in the bottom of the box help out even with The IAT mod done? If so where should I cut the hole and how big if known at this time? Also on the Iat temp differences here, higher then k+N but sill made same or more hp? Also IAT was heat soaked by the time Airaid was done and I think these take a good while to cool back down, then Ingen was done and design brought in enough cool air to bring temp back down rapidly? Maybe a new hole would work Iat mod or not! Let me know what you think. Oh and yes, thanks so much for you're efforts in the test, I think your proceedures are about the most anyone could ask for to see how well these units work in the real world as opposed to just a1-2 dyno pulls most of us get to have.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #89
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmiller8 View Post
Just FYI Christmas as you can see only has one S.
Not where I'm from my friend two words combined Christ and mass...
Nough said
Old 07-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #90
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD1 View Post
Ya know, based on these results, you are putting out about 290 WHP (370 BHP) lol. Not bad for an auto .........especially on a motor so finely tuned that bolt ons really dont give much of a gain.
Maybe I missed something - but the results appear to max at 260ish, no?
Old 07-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #91
kga10734
Don't Feed the Troll

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS & 1999 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I like the AirRaid b/c of the performance at lower and mid range RPMs....but hate the fact that it by far had the highest IAT temps. I'm a huge fan of the Injen, but I'm a bit torn.

Hrm....I'm thinking AirRaid with IAT relocation to help keep temp levels consistent! I know it kind of sucks to think about having to make a modification, the mod itself lol....but it shouldn't be difficult
You are correct. I have the IAT sensor relocated and have the same response when I hit the gas weather the engine is hot or cold. Also if you get the temps to drop, I would think it should bring the timing numbers up with the CAI and Injen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Freak View Post
Test said the opening was to small.
I was wondering about this and have thought about putting another hole in the air box to get more air to the filter, now I know. I'll be looking into putting another hole in the air box and pipping in more cold air from outside the engine bay.

I wonder why the fuel trims on the CAI and K&N are off the mark(stock) compared to the Airaid and Injen. The Airaid and Injen intakes are close to stock on the fuel trims, and those 2 intakes are very close to the stock numbers for the LB air per min as well.

After seeing these results from a independent test, I am very happy with my decision of going with Airaid and the new V2 tube they came out with.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #92
Camaro Freak

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT 334HP
In conclusion, I guess what this test really shows is what ever intake we each choose, they all are pretty good intakes and each does show gains. There really is not a bad intake in the bunch. I appreciate all the companys for giving us several quality intakes to choose from. After all, we do have one thing in common--- We all drive a bad-assed car and thats what really matters. Everyone enjoy there intakes and I hope to meet some of you at different car shows around the US. Peace to all.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:34 PM   #93
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Thanks for doing the test. It'll let us look at the numbers and make our choices. Just good to see every one did as well as they did.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #94
SummitWhiteLS

Drives: 2011 Mustang V6 Automatic
First off, I'd like to thank JRE one more time for doing the test. You guys are awesome!

Secondly, I want to go on the record saying that people should get whatever CAI makes them happy, but that they should get them from JRE because of all the work they did.

As soon as I'm ready to buy, that's what I'm going to do.

For now, I have to hold off a bit because I just had to replace a tire on my Camaro. I bumped a curb last week causing a small chunk of rubber to come off the sidewall (white cord was showing).

New tire replacement = $165 :(

But when do I get my Cold Air Inductions CAI, you can be sure that I'll be purchasing it from JRE.

PEACE
SummitWhiteLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #95
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
This isn't as simple as I thought it would be to decide. A variable is Airaid's possible ability to gain a few more ponies with the input from this test, lower cost than the others. Injen's performance and price are good too. CAI is the best looking and nice performance ,albeit the highest cost, however it seems to have the best materials. In all, HP per dollar, this is the best money spent on any bolt on and I can see myself owning one, not certain which one yet.

Last edited by PieNsky; 07-24-2010 at 11:27 PM.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #96
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAI Inc View Post
Why would you rank them in this order?
Aint it fun fun fun

To be number one ?
Old 07-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #97
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kga10734 View Post
You are correct. I have the IAT sensor relocated and have the same response when I hit the gas weather the engine is hot or cold. Also if you get the temps to drop, I would think it should bring the timing numbers up with the CAI and Injen.

I was wondering about this and have thought about putting another hole in the air box to get more air to the filter, now I know. I'll be looking into putting another hole in the air box and pipping in more cold air from outside the engine bay.

I wonder why the fuel trims on the CAI and K&N are off the mark(stock) compared to the Airaid and Injen. The Airaid and Injen intakes are close to stock on the fuel trims, and those 2 intakes are very close to the stock numbers for the LB air per min as well.

After seeing these results from a independent test, I am very happy with my decision of going with Airaid and the new V2 tube they came out with.
KGA 10734, where did you locate the IAT? Mine's in the side of the box next to the side of the car. Don't know if thats best, But could be good spot if I cut a hole in box bottom to compliment the air duct in front
Old 07-24-2010, 10:38 PM   #98
SDCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Injen FTW

Thanks guys for doing this test. Granted, these numbers wont really be felt by the drivers.. but very good numbers all around. Very impressed with the numbers coming from CAI's top mount. Pretty sweet.