Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #43
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
I've heard some CAI's have not been compatible with their Camaro and would throw codes in the car's computer.

I bought a G5CR and it works perfectly, no codes, high quality, easy to install. I don't know why this CAI isn't more popular but I would buy it again no question.

Russ
I have not seen this intake before. I notice it is not isolated from the engine compartment in any way. It's wide open to take in the hot air from the engine bay. Won't that reduce your horsepower compared to bringing in cool air from outside?
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #44
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
ADM race for me, numbers to back it up in sig. I also like the Rotofab, CAI and the new and improved Vararam, in that order.
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #45
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
gotta agree with darth...not buying anything that doesn't have some type of isolation from engine bay temp. Roto and CAI both offer that...it doesn't have to be a COMPLETE box design, but at least something of the like.

That seems to be one of the few I have seen (if there are others) that doesnt seem to make any effort to do so..which might explain it's popularity.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #46
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Ok dudes including Darth...

I have the box with the gasket on the top but it got cracked in shipment and I am waiting for another one to come in. It should be in next week and I will install it.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #47
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
Ok dudes including Darth...

I have the box with the gasket on the top but it got cracked in shipment and I am waiting for another one to come in. It should be in next week and I will install it.

Russ
Old 04-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #48
CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
With all due respect, I do really have the direct comparison of these units under the S/C application WITH the same vehicle to prove it.

I had a CAI intake in my car with the supercharger and we dynod the car. Then we swapped to a Roto-fab intake and we dynod the car again. Same car, same dyno. The only change was the intake.

Here are the 2 runs on the same sheet.
Gray curve is with the CAI intake.
Red curve is with the Roto-fab intake.

Max. rwhp difference in only 5, but look at the large increase in hp in the mid-range rpms (where most of us drive). That's a 25-30 rwhp improvement with the Roto-fab.

Was the car dyno'd with the hood open or closed?
CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #49
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAI Inc View Post
Was the car dyno'd with the hood open or closed?
I'm not sure. I wasn't actually in the shop when they did the dyno runs. I'll see if I can find out.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #50
CAI Inc

Quote:
I'm not sure. I wasn't actually in the shop when they did the dyno runs. I'll see if I can find out.
Thanks If the hood is open our system will dyno lower than a open element system (unless you remove the lid.) If you dyno the car under real driving conditions (with the hood close) it will put the 2 system on an even playing field.

Last edited by CAI Inc; 04-06-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #51
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
I'm not sure. I wasn't actually in the shop.....
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #52
Darth_Emma

My car has was tuned on they dyno at least 4 times last year. I was there for a couple of them. I just can't seem to leave "well enough" alone. It's at the shop again right now getting bushings, cam, and torque converter... oh yeah, and a new dynotune!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #53
CAI Inc

Quote:
My car has was tuned on they dyno at least 4 times last year. I was there for a couple of them. I just can't seem to leave "well enough" alone. It's at the shop again right now getting bushings, cam, and torque converter... oh yeah, and a new dynotune!
someone has the bug!
Old 04-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #54
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
The whole intake debate is pretty crazy. In my mind, Intakes are like shoes..they all do basically them same thing..just pick the one that has the style and price you want. I have personally now had 5 different intakes on my Camaro's from different manufactuers. Can I say one is better than the other jsut based on driving? No I cannot. With the margin of error on a dyno being 3-5HP you can't even really measure the difference confidently. However I do think certain ones are built nicer, and have better fit and finish than the others...which is almost as important, if not more important than which one makes the most absolute HP.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #55
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAI Inc View Post
Thanks If the hood is open our system will dyno lower then a open element system (unless you remove the lid.) If you dyno the car under real driving conditions (with the hood close) it will put the 2 system on an even playing field.
The CAI will repeat the numbers whether the hood is open or closed.

The Hood Open vs Hood Closed is the Single biggest discrepancy in HP numbers advertised or obtained by dyno testing Air intake kits.

ALL OF OUR TESTING WAS DONE WITH THE HOOD CLOSED!! which represents real world numbers.

Systems with Open Tops do very well with the HOOD OPEN vs CLOSED, I can repeat 10-15 HP difference, Depending on the kit, over and over and over just by opening and closing the hood run after run.

My testing was criticized for showing low numbers, But I Stand My Ground you can't Test Cold Air Kits with the Hood Open!

Sealing the Filter from the Engine bay is Critical to Performance.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #56
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
The CAI will repeat the numbers whether the hood is open or closed.

The Hood Open vs Hood Closed is the Single biggest discrepancy in HP numbers advertised or obtained by dyno testing Air intake kits.

ALL OF OUR TESTING WAS DONE WITH THE HOOD CLOSED!! which represents real world numbers.

Systems with Open Tops do very well with the HOOD OPEN vs CLOSED, I can repeat 10-15 HP difference, Depending on the kit, over and over and over just by opening and closing the hood run after run.

My testing was criticized for showing low numbers, But I Stand My Ground you can't Test Cold Air Kits with the Hood Open!

Sealing the Filter from the Engine bay is Critical to Performance.

Ted.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote