Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want to see an automatic option for the ZL1?
Yes 1,312 66.30%
No 667 33.70%
Voters: 1979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #267
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
That's a good point, but I go by the theory that there will always be a competitive edge between the two because they are a Camaro and a Mustang. Some guys will buy a Chevy only, and that is going to be the majority of ZL-1 owners, I think.

I could very possibly be WAY off base there.

Or maybe Chevy would ATTRACT buyers from the Ford camp that wanted/needed (injuries, don't like manuals etc) an auto GT500 but can't get one.

These are all just thoughts I have, in no way am I saying I am right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #268
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
Thanks for the reminder, this is getting a bit off track. It would also be great if only the people that could actually afford one and want to buy one would vote, but that is impossible :(
Of course that is an issue with a lower-production car like this one...when asking for opinions on a subject, most of the responses will be from people who have no intention of buying one for one reason or another.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #269
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
I do like the idea of gauging interest in the automatic option from folks actively working towards owning a ZL1. I have already traded my SS in for a car with a much lower monthly payment, better mpg, etc in order to save up. However, I will most likely not buy until the the 2013 ZL1's are out. If there isn't an auto option in 2012, it sounds as though there will be a better chance of it the following year. Is this an accurate assumption? But regardless of the transmission, I will own this beast!
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #270
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
I do like the idea of gauging interest in the automatic option from folks actively working towards owning a ZL1. I have already traded my SS in for a car with a much lower monthly payment, better mpg, etc in order to save up. However, I will most likely not buy until the the 2013 ZL1's are out. If there isn't an auto option in 2012, it sounds as though there will be a better chance of it the following year. Is this an accurate assumption? But regardless of the transmission, I will own this beast!
If I were a product manager (I am not but Number 3 said he is going to hire me), I would let the product get a little wet first before I throw out all the stops. This is a new market for GM, Camaro or not, it is a different market. In my opinion, the 6L90 is a better transmission but it has some downfalls. If I were product manager, after a year plus of testing, I would have a pretty good idea that the 6060 equipped ZL1 could best the current GT500. If I wanted to lose my job at GM, I would play every card even after I knew that my base 6060 LSA could beat the GT500. Not only would I pour more funding into initial R&D and production, I would just be putting far too many nails into a coffin that Ford themselves are burying anyway. Ford is clever, but GM has to be even smarter and this is not the year (first year) to nail them. Acknowledge the competition, Bring the product to market and wait for Ford to show you something.. Remember, why put big money into a ZL1, when Ford's 200lbs weight loss is coming in 2013.. You don't want to put alot of R&D into a program just to have a 3400lb 5.0 GT walk all over you...

Were they late to the market? Yeah..... But they need to make intelligent decisions.. and sometimes, fanboys are the worse people to base marketing decisions on...:(
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #271
thePill
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
However, I will most likely not buy until the the 2013 ZL1's are out. If there isn't an auto option in 2012, it sounds as though there will be a better chance of it the following year. Is this an accurate assumption? But regardless of the transmission, I will own this beast!
There will be very few cars on the streets of America that will beat you, let alone challenge you in such a car. You could miss 3rd altogether and still walk away (and save alittle gas) from anything in your neighborhood (100 mile radius).

Most people don't even challenge SS's except those that are properly equipped..

But some people will have the equipment (Bumblebee I killed today).... Love you Camaro5!!!!
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #272
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Advertising "Now offering an Automatic ZL1!!!" a year later just for the sake of holding out.....is a tough sell. I'd question the rationale behind it. They may delay releasing an automatic ZL1...but if they do, I doubt its to strategically withhold a 'play'. More likely, they doubt this market's desire for an automatic and passed over the validation costs in favor of releasing a very competitively-priced car to 90% of people.

The G8 had a similar issue, if I remember correctly. No manual transmission in that car because they didn't expect the demand for it...when enthusiasts cried, they began to work on offering it, but then Pontiac.....well, that story's history. :(

There's a little over half a year to go before all details need to be written in stone, or close to it....if the demand is there, they'll cater to it. But only the team can see the big picture right now. We're (the enthusiast) one voice of many, albeit a loud one.....

Nevertheless, as John Fitzpatrick remarked during the webchat when asked if there will be an auto ZL1:

"Do you want one?".......
Old 02-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #273
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
If I were a product manager (I am not but Number 3 said he is going to hire me), I would let the product get a little wet first before I throw out all the stops. This is a new market for GM, Camaro or not, it is a different market. In my opinion, the 6L90 is a better transmission but it has some downfalls. If I were product manager, after a year plus of testing, I would have a pretty good idea that the 6060 equipped ZL1 could best the current GT500. If I wanted to lose my job at GM, I would play every card even after I knew that my base 6060 LSA could beat the GT500. Not only would I pour more funding into initial R&D and production, I would just be putting far too many nails into a coffin that Ford themselves are burying anyway. Ford is clever, but GM has to be even smarter and this is not the year (first year) to nail them. Acknowledge the competition, Bring the product to market and wait for Ford to show you something.. Remember, why put big money into a ZL1, when Ford's 200lbs weight loss is coming in 2013.. You don't want to put alot of R&D into a program just to have a 3400lb 5.0 GT walk all over you...

Were they late to the market? Yeah..... But they need to make intelligent decisions.. and sometimes, fanboys are the worse people to base marketing decisions on...:(

SWEET!!
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #274
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
Yeah, please don't.. most of those cars use a sequential manual transmission or a dual clutch semi-automatic... If your transmission comes with a torque converter, it is not related to the two transmissions...
Hang on a second so let me get this straight. So it's ok for a sports car to have a "semi automatic" which is essentially a manual without s clutch but you are still forced to switch gears on your own but if the transmission has a mode that allows the car to shift for you then it's not a real sports car? I'll settle for a automated manual (or semi automatic if you want to call it that).

I really don't think that you can trash talk automatic transmissions but then be ok with the transmissions in the cars I mentioned. It'd kind of hypocritical

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:18 AM   #275
drummer5679

Drives: 2005 Infiniti G35
Considering a lot of the high end performance cars use automatic trans because a computer can shift faster than a human ever will (including bugatti veyron and lambo murcielago lp640), auto should be available on any performance car.
drummer5679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #276
thePill
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilKnightFalcon View Post
Hang on a second so let me get this straight. So it's ok for a sports car to have a "semi automatic" which is essentially a manual without s clutch but you are still forced to switch gears on your own but if the transmission has a mode that allows the car to shift for you then it's not a real sports car? I'll settle for a automated manual (or semi automatic if you want to call it that).

I really don't think that you can trash talk automatic transmissions but then be ok with the transmissions in the cars I mentioned. It'd kind of hypocritical
I do not like the automatic because you cannot select a specific gear and engine brake during RR. The SMG cannot as well but can still engine brake when needed, It is very smooth, even more so with 7-8 gears and no overdrive. The semi-autos replace the converter to become an electric clutch manual. The the SMG is trying to become an automatic, and the semi-automatic is trying to be a manual. None of them have torque converters but instead use a electronic clutch system. The cost of either one is out of our current target market group and we will not be seeing them anytime soon on a pony car. There is a automatic that uses a converter, and paddles but it is a full automatic. I am always open to new technology, but It always takes me along time to get use to... I didn't like fuel injection, OHC's, FI, E85 and aluminum heads but eventually the prices dropped and that is usually where my spite comes from.

I like the ability to shift with the auto but if I am shifting an auto why not just get a manual? It is cheaper and lighter and won't shift in mid-corner (which I cannot stand about an auto)... If you find your self in traffic just put it in neutral, you will save gas in the meantime..
Old 02-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #277
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I like an auto' because a good converter can make them a monster with correct tuning and supporting ancillaries. I don't think a DSG or the like gearbox is appropriate for CAMARO at this time and I think 6L90 with aggressive tuning a good converter is perfect.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #278
timcat4843

Drives: 2008 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLarry View Post
There's another option (for some) to consider when choosing a race-oriented car, ya know
....You can learn how to drive stick.
What about the older folks who suffer from arthritis and can't shift all the time?
What about people who do most of there driving in the city?

Then there are people like me that think manual transmissions belong on display
in the Smithsonian Institution and not in modern performance cars.

Dual clutch transmissions are the wave of the future.

Manual transmissions will soon go the way of the dinosaur.

The bottom line: Most drivers prefer automatic transmissions.
timcat4843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #279
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by timcat4843 View Post
What about the older folks who suffer from arthritis and can't shift all the time?
What about people who do most of there driving in the city?

Then there are people like me that think manual transmissions belong on display
in the Smithsonian Institution and not in modern performance cars.

Dual clutch transmissions are the wave of the future.

Manual transmissions will soon go the way of the dinosaur.

The bottom line: Most drivers prefer automatic transmissions.

I do sympathize for those physically unable to drive manual, they are the ones who change my mind in regards to this subject.

But for those that are unwilling to learn, know how to drive manual but prefer not to, or "do most of their driving in the city", those are the ones who I say that maybe this isn't the car for you.

Speaking for myself and I'm sure others, driving a traditional manual isn't about having the most cutting edge "wave of the future" transmission. It's about the involvement, control, and skill that greatly increases the driving experience as an enthusiast. I guess some people just don't get that.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #280
91Z28350

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP 2010 Traverse LTZ
I get it, which is why I ALSO want the stick. I just feel that for some, the auto is a must have and hope they get the chance to own a ZL1 with an auto; for whatever reason they need it.
91Z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote